Proper transliteration of དྷནྨ [dhanma(?)]

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Chenda

Proper transliteration of དྷནྨ [dhanma(?)]

Post by Chenda »

Good day.

I would like to ask for the proper transliteration of དྷནྨ. I've tried the tools from THL to transliterate the word and hopefully get the Sanskrit, but it cannot read it for some reason. It says d+han+ma or dhanma(?). I've tried to check Tibetan dictionaries, but I cannot find it at all. I have a guess that it's དྷན which corresponds to the Sanskrit धन (dhána), but the Sanskrit doesn't decline to dháNMA (which is how I would transliterate the word I'm asking about). The closest I could find is धनम् (dhánam), which is both the nominative and accusative form of धन (dhána).

This is connected to my recent inquiry about a specific mantra of Vasudhara, and my research has led me to this last piece. Any leads or information would help, especially if it's from an actual text.

A question would be a great start, I suppose. Is there any textual evidence of དྷནྨ being used as the Tibetan transcription of धन (dhána) or धनम् (dhánam)?

Thank you in advance.
With the wisdom of threefold purity, dedicate all the virtue gained from having made such effort toward enlightenment. Dedicate it to clear away the suffering of infinite beings. This is the way of a Bodhisattva.
Gyalsé Ngulchu Tokmé (རྒྱལ་སྲས་དངུལ་ཆུ་ཐོགས་མེད་), The Thirty-Seven Practices of All the Bodhisattvas
Malcolm

Re: Proper transliteration of དྷནྨ [dhanma(?)]

Post by Malcolm »

Need more context.

Also, in some older texts dha is used to represent དཱ, hence "dha" is Sanskrit "dā."

Chenda wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:37 pm Good day.

I would like to ask for the proper transliteration of དྷནྨ. I've tried the tools from THL to transliterate the word and hopefully get the Sanskrit, but it cannot read it for some reason. It says d+han+ma or dhanma(?). I've tried to check Tibetan dictionaries, but I cannot find it at all. I have a guess that it's དྷན which corresponds to the Sanskrit धन (dhána), but the Sanskrit doesn't decline to dháNMA (which is how I would transliterate the word I'm asking about). The closest I could find is धनम् (dhánam), which is both the nominative and accusative form of धन (dhána).

This is connected to my recent inquiry about a specific mantra of Vasudhara, and my research has led me to this last piece. Any leads or information would help, especially if it's from an actual text.

A question would be a great start, I suppose. Is there any textual evidence of དྷནྨ being used as the Tibetan transcription of धन (dhána) or धनम् (dhánam)?

Thank you in advance.
ratna

Re: Proper transliteration of དྷནྨ [dhanma(?)]

Post by ratna »

For what it's worth, the sādhanas of Vasudhārā in the sGrub thabs kun btus of the Sakyapas have vasunidhānakṣetre (བ་སུ་ནི་དྷཱ་ན་ཀྵེ་ཏྲེ). Perhaps some change has occurred in the course of copying and transcribing.

Return to “Language”