Tibetan typing programs

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Tibetan typing programs

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

I am currently copying some sadhanas for my dharma group to use on zoom in an electronic form and I want to type down the tibetan so our lama can also read it. However, I have a trouble finding all of the symbols in this tool https://typingkeyboards.com/tibetan-keyboard/. I mostly get around it by finding the syllable I need and then copying it into my google document, but I just found out that google document does not handle the sanscrit mantras written in tibetan. Does anyone have any advice for a good tool or any advice in general for typing tibetan?

I use linux so windows tools might be a problem a bit.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Archie2009

Re: Tibetan typing programs

Post by Archie2009 »

I would also like to be able to type in uchen script on my iMac. At the moment I type online in wylie into the THL translation tool and copy/paste into RTF text files and subsequently between text files.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Archie2009 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:06 pm I would also like to be able to type in uchen script on my iMac. At the moment I type online in wylie into the THL translation tool and copy/paste into RTF text files and subsequently between text files.
There is a wylie keyboard in the Mac software.

Open Keyboard preferences, select wylie.

You will switch back and forth with command + space bar.
Image 2-28-22 at 5.35 PM.jpg
Image 2-28-22 at 5.35 PM.jpg (80.25 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Photograph or screen shot and embed the image
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:36 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:06 pm I would also like to be able to type in uchen script on my iMac. At the moment I type online in wylie into the THL translation tool and copy/paste into RTF text files and subsequently between text files.

Thank you, that worked. Only command + space bar opens Spotlight Search on macOS Monterey. Control + space switches between input sources.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Archie2009 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:25 am

Thank you, that worked. Only command + space bar opens Spotlight Search on macOS Monterey. Control + space switches between input sources.
You have to change the command.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Hazel wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:40 pm Photograph or screen shot and embed the image
Yeah I came to the same conclusion. But I'd like to work with the text as much as possible.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:42 am
Archie2009 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:25 am

What is your preferred Tibetan font? Or is that choice dictated by your occupation as translator? I use Kailasa.
windoverwater

Post by windoverwater »

I am running Ubuntu on my laptop. I installed the Dzongkha keyboard, and am able to use the (installed with Ubuntu) LibreOffice wordprocessing program to create documents in Tibetan.

In the Ubuntu settings, under "Region & Language" you can add Dzongkha, and toggle between English and Tibetan keyboards as needed.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

windoverwater wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:19 pm I am running Ubuntu on my laptop. I installed the Dzongkha keyboard, and am able to use the (installed with Ubuntu) LibreOffice wordprocessing program to create documents in Tibetan.

In the Ubuntu settings, under "Region & Language" you can add Dzongkha, and toggle between English and Tibetan as needed.
Perfect! Since I use Zorin which is built on Ubuntu I could be able to get this too thank you.

By the LibreOffice wordprocessing program do you mean the LibreOffice write?

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
windoverwater

Post by windoverwater »

Yes, I am able to use the Dzongkha keyboard with Jomolhari (unicode) Tibetan font in the LibreOffice Writer program that is bundled with Ubuntu.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Archie2009 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:15 am
Archie2009 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:25 am Thank you, that worked. Only command + space bar opens Spotlight Search on macOS Monterey. Control + space switches between input sources.
What is your preferred Tibetan font? Or is that choice dictated by your occupation as translator? I use Kailasa.
I don't translate sadhanas, so I have little need for a specific font, that said, yes, I tend to use Kailash when I do.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:15 am
Hazel wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:40 pm Photograph or screen shot and embed the image
Yeah I came to the same conclusion. But I'd like to work with the text as much as possible.
My personal opinion is it's too risky to try to hand transcribe the mantras without a lot of experience - and also you run into all kinds of technical issues with different operating systems and word processors.

You could also hire someone on Upwork who knows both Tibetan and English. I've hired people there for translating services.

Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:12 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:15 am

I don't translate sadhanas, so I have little need for a specific font, that said, yes, I tend to use Kailash when I do.
To add to this (for Archie2009's benefit), be very careful when googling and downloading Tibetan fonts. There's all kinds of dangerous websites pretending to have them. I stumbled on a quite reputable wiki that linked out to some that were once legitimate, but then someone nefarious got ahold of the domain where they were hosted.

Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Hazel wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:31 pm
Malcolm wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:12 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:15 am What is your preferred Tibetan font? Or is that choice dictated by your occupation as translator? I use Kailasa.
To add to this (for Archie2009's benefit), be very careful when googling and downloading Tibetan fonts. There's all kinds of dangerous websites pretending to have them. I stumbled on a quite reputable wiki that linked out to some that were once legitimate, but then someone nefarious got ahold of the domain where they were hosted.
I think Kalaisa came with macOS. The other Tibetan fonts were installed along with the offline THL Translation tool. Some more came with old versions of Tibetan original texts from the old website of the Library of Tibetan Classics. So, all from safe sources.

Return to “Language”