Prayers for the People of the Ukraine

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: Prayers for the People of the Ukraine

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Ayu wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:21 pm Yesterday, we were reciting the Golden Light Sutra online. 50 practicioners from Austria and Germany joined. Some others had to recite without being connected to the group due to access problems.
This is an inspiring setting,reciting the sutra together with other people - the crowd with muted microphone and one knowledgeable good reader reciting loudly.

We stopped in the middle after two hours, reciting the rest alone, if we wished to do so.

Next session will be on Monday (7th March) and we will recite chapter 1 to 7 alone and then continue online in the group with the rest of the Sutra (chapter 8 to 21).

I'm inspired.
So wonderful! :bow:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
muni

Post by muni »

Now time for prayers for our fellows in Ukraine, Europe, all in the world.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

In the mornings, I pray that the leaders of the world will be guided by compassion and wisdom and that everyone misses targets and collateral targets.

In the evening, I pray that the deceased are quickly reborn in circumstances adorned with freedoms and advantages.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:25 pm In the mornings, I pray that the leaders of the world will be guided by compassion and wisdom and that everyone misses targets and collateral targets.

In the evening, I pray that the deceased are quickly reborn in circumstances adorned with freedoms and advantages.
Pray that they are born in Sukhavati.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Shinjin wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:28 pm Pray that they are born in Sukhavati.
Unlikely, unless they are Buddhists.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:11 pm
How about phowa? I have read about some Tibetan masters such as Shabkar doing phowa on insects and animals. Why wouldn't it be possible with humans?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Shinjin wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:52 pm
Malcolm wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:11 pm
How about phowa? I have read about some Tibetan masters such as Shabkar doing phowa on insects and animals. Why wouldn't it be possible with humans?
You have to train quite a bit to do this, basically, one has to be a mahāsiddha. Really, the only thing people can do is dedicate merit so that the dead people from this war on both sides might someday meet the Dharma and so on.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Somewhere I seem to have read something to the effect "Don't some Buddha fields accept virtuous non-Buddhists?" Or is this just some Heavens? :thinking:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leo Rivers wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:35 pm Somewhere I seem to have read something to the effect "Don't some Buddha fields accept virtuous non-Buddhists?" Or is this just some Heavens? :thinking:
Not a question of accept. This is a buddhafield. I have never heard however that pure buddhafields are accessible to nonbuddhists.

In any case, where one takes birth is a result of karma, nothing else.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

At yesterday's International Nembutsu service, several Jodo Shu temples and members across Brazil, the US, Japan, and Europe prayed for peace.
Namu Amida Butsu
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Wonderful advice from Garchen Rinpoche.
PRAYER TO TARA
Who Protects From the Eight Fears
ཨོཾ། འཇིགས་པ་བརྒྱད་སྐྱོབ་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །
OM, JIK PA GYÉ KYOB MA LA CHAK TSAL LO
Om! Homage to you, who protects from the eight fears!
བཀྲ་ཤིས་དཔལ་འབར་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །
TASHI PAL BAR MA LA CHAK TSAL LO
Homage to you, who shines as a beacon of goodness!
ངན་སོང་སྒོ་འགེགས་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །
NGEN SONG GO GEK MA LA CHAK TSAL LO
Homage to you, who closes the gates to the lower realms!
མཐོ་རིས་ལམ་འདྲེན་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །
TORI LAM DREN MA LA CHAK TSAL LO
Homage to you, who leads the way to the higher realms!
རྟག་ཏུ་ཁྱེད་ཀྱིས་སྟོངས་པར་མཛད། །
TAK TU KYÉ KYI TONG PAR DZÉ
You are my constant companion.
ད་དུང་ཐུགས་རྗེས་བསྐྱབ་ཏུ་གསོལ། །
DA DUNG TUK JÉ KYAB TU SOL
Always protect me with compassion!

In times of war, everyone should recite the Prayer to Tara Who Liberates from the Eight Fears. This is a simple prayer that anyone can say. It would be good to make this a daily and ongoing prayer. “She, who protects from the eight fears,” has the power to put an end to all wars and conflicts. “She, who shines as a beacon of goodness,” helps us in resolving conflicts peacefully and being more considerate of one another. “She, who closes the gates to the lower realms and leads the way to the higher realms,” brings those who have died in the war to the higher realms or liberation after death. “You are my constant companion. Always protect me with compassion,” means that Tara will always protect you, in this life, in future lives, and the bardo.

When Lord Atisha’s ship was about to sink while crossing the sea, he spoke these words of prayer. This is the prayer that should be recited by the entire community. Because this is such an important prayer, you must understand its meaning. I recite it throughout the day and night. I pray for you all and am always with you. You must practice well in difficult times like these. In short, such prayers will help calm the fighting and may help ease the pride and anger of those who are proud and angry. I love you! Thank you! Thank you!
~ H.E. Garchen Rinpoche on March 5th, 2022.
Link to Garchen Rinpoche singing this prayer with a lovely melody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-leWrzu_d2A
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

:good:
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:53 pm Wonderful advice from Garchen Rinpoche.
PRAYER TO TARA
Who Protects From the Eight Fears
ཨོཾ། འཇིགས་པ་བརྒྱད་སྐྱོབ་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །
OM, JIK PA GYÉ KYOB MA LA CHAK TSAL LO
Om! Homage to you, who protects from the eight fears!
བཀྲ་ཤིས་དཔལ་འབར་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །
TASHI PAL BAR MA LA CHAK TSAL LO
Homage to you, who shines as a beacon of goodness!
ངན་སོང་སྒོ་འགེགས་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །
NGEN SONG GO GEK MA LA CHAK TSAL LO
Homage to you, who closes the gates to the lower realms!
མཐོ་རིས་ལམ་འདྲེན་མ་ལ་ཕྱག་འཚལ་ལོ། །
TORI LAM DREN MA LA CHAK TSAL LO
Homage to you, who leads the way to the higher realms!
རྟག་ཏུ་ཁྱེད་ཀྱིས་སྟོངས་པར་མཛད། །
TAK TU KYÉ KYI TONG PAR DZÉ
You are my constant companion.
ད་དུང་ཐུགས་རྗེས་བསྐྱབ་ཏུ་གསོལ། །
DA DUNG TUK JÉ KYAB TU SOL
Always protect me with compassion!

In times of war, everyone should recite the Prayer to Tara Who Liberates from the Eight Fears. This is a simple prayer that anyone can say. It would be good to make this a daily and ongoing prayer. “She, who protects from the eight fears,” has the power to put an end to all wars and conflicts. “She, who shines as a beacon of goodness,” helps us in resolving conflicts peacefully and being more considerate of one another. “She, who closes the gates to the lower realms and leads the way to the higher realms,” brings those who have died in the war to the higher realms or liberation after death. “You are my constant companion. Always protect me with compassion,” means that Tara will always protect you, in this life, in future lives, and the bardo.

When Lord Atisha’s ship was about to sink while crossing the sea, he spoke these words of prayer. This is the prayer that should be recited by the entire community. Because this is such an important prayer, you must understand its meaning. I recite it throughout the day and night. I pray for you all and am always with you. You must practice well in difficult times like these. In short, such prayers will help calm the fighting and may help ease the pride and anger of those who are proud and angry. I love you! Thank you! Thank you!
~ H.E. Garchen Rinpoche on March 5th, 2022.
Link to Garchen Rinpoche singing this prayer with a lovely melody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-leWrzu_d2A
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”