Hobbies and the Dharma

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
justsit

Re: Hobbies and the Dharma

Post by justsit »

narhwal90 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:29 pm
DNS wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:32 pm
narhwal90 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:40 pm I ride my motorcycle, work in the shop. Both demonstrate the value of being in the moment, not distracted by thinking.
My first vehicle was a motorcycle (during my poor student days) and I have owned several (in the past), including a trike. It's a nice sense of freedom, riding in the open air.
In many conditions I find it meditative. Sometimes it certainly presents opportunities to embrace fear and mortality :) I ride an R6- nothing better than digging deep into a corner, on the gas and pulling hard :twothumbsup:
Ah, yes, that feeling of oneness with the universe when the conditions are just perfect...it was a lot of fun. I rode for many years, numerous trips across the US, where there are long stretches of road with little or no traffic, time to relax a bit, cruise and ponder. After one particularly nice day on the road, I put some thoughts on paper in my journal - "I'm riding a laser beam; I approach the speed of light; I become invisible...", the self dissolved, only the purr of the engine and the wind remained.
Beautiful times and many fond memories.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

:smile: , the "road head" is amazing... usually appears for me on the 2nd day out- walk out of the hotel, no meetings, no zoom, no phone- just the road and the wind.
Dream_on

Post by Dream_on »

narhwal90 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:19 pm :smile: , the "road head" is amazing... usually appears for me on the 2nd day out- walk out of the hotel, no meetings, no zoom, no phone- just the road and the wind.
What do you use to power your mobil phone on the walks?

https://prylify.se/mobiltillbehor/mobil ... gKemPD_BwE

:namaste:
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I dont use a cellphone for anything while riding. I mount a camera and cartographic gps powered by the bike.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”