Prostrations during Sanrai

Bryan

Prostrations during Sanrai

Post by Bryan »

I have only been able to attend Tendai meetings via Zoom, so it is difficult to see exactly how the prostrations are done. They seem to be performed differently than prostrations in Chan/Zen. I'd like to have a clearer understanding, both for my personal practice and for when I am able to attend in person. Here is how I *think* it goes, though I'm certainly open to correction:

Starting position: On your knees, head on the floor, elbows on the floor (But what are the hands doing? Are the elbows at an angle?)
"I-": [no movement]
"sshin": Bring your torso up, but keep your arms by your sides
"cho": Raise up your thighs in a straight line with your torso, so your knees are bent at 90 degrees
"rai": Bring your hands together in gassho
"ji-": [no movement]
"po": [no movement]
"ho-": Bend forward at the waist in a small bow
"kkai": Bring your torso upright, same position as "rai"
"jo-": Bring your arms down to your sides, with your hands at your hips, same position as "cho"
"ju": Bring your thighs down to rest on your calves, same position as "sshin"
"san-": Bring your head and elbows to the floor, same position as "i" (still not sure about the hands)
"bo": turn your hands palm upwards and raise them to the height of your ears (I'm assuming)

I would greatly appreciate if anyone here can clarify this for me.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Prostrations during Sanrai

Post by Queequeg »

Bryan wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:13 pm I have only been able to attend Tendai meetings via Zoom, so it is difficult to see exactly how the prostrations are done. They seem to be performed differently than prostrations in Chan/Zen. I'd like to have a clearer understanding, both for my personal practice and for when I am able to attend in person. Here is how I *think* it goes, though I'm certainly open to correction:

Starting position: On your knees, head on the floor, elbows on the floor (But what are the hands doing? Are the elbows at an angle?)
"I-": [no movement]
"sshin": Bring your torso up, but keep your arms by your sides
"cho": Raise up your thighs in a straight line with your torso, so your knees are bent at 90 degrees
"rai": Bring your hands together in gassho
"ji-": [no movement]
"po": [no movement]
"ho-": Bend forward at the waist in a small bow
"kkai": Bring your torso upright, same position as "rai"
"jo-": Bring your arms down to your sides, with your hands at your hips, same position as "cho"
"ju": Bring your thighs down to rest on your calves, same position as "sshin"
"san-": Bring your head and elbows to the floor, same position as "i" (still not sure about the hands)
"bo": turn your hands palm upwards and raise them to the height of your ears (I'm assuming)

I would greatly appreciate if anyone here can clarify this for me.
You should contact the person leading the zoom meeting and ask them.

You're not going to get Tendai practice instructions from a legit source on the public internet.

Good luck.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Thank you for the response. I may indeed follow your advice if I don't get any bites here.
You're not going to get Tendai practice instructions from a legit source on the public internet.
Would you mind explaining why this is the case? And is this a difference between Tendai and other sects? To be honest, I find your response a bit surprising. For example, I can find a great deal of information about Tendai practice on the Tendai Buddhist Institute website and from other sanctioned (i.e. "legit") sources. Admittedly, much of this information is more general in nature. But I was not aware of prostrations being in any way esoteric or unsuitable for public discussion. Or do you mean it's the kind of thing that has nuances only a teacher can demonstrate in a one-on-one setting?
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Hi Bryan,

Generally speaking, Tendai is an oral school (kuden), meaning teachings should ideally be given verbally from teacher to student. The information on various websites are usually fairly generic in nature, and aimed at helping those new to Tendai to find their bearings. Although prostrations are not esoteric (most of them, at least), there are specific nuances as well as variances, meaning discussion with a teacher is preferred. As you are already taking part in meetings with a priest, it would be wise to ask them for assistance with specific practices - there are sometimes lineage differences.

FWIW there are various ways of performing prostrations, some with sanrai, some without, some with the whole body, some whilst kneeling, and various other methods too. Your breakdown is close, but your teacher can clarify things better for you.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Tendai”