What is it that hears the sound?

Share your stories and poems with us here.
Post Reply
User avatar
KeithA
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 11:02 pm

What is it that hears the sound?

Post by KeithA »

I am the person tasked with sending out email updates to my Sangha, and I always start with a picture and a poem. Here is the one from this month:
The Pure Water of the Mountain Creek
It originates from the creek of the green mountain,
And flows into the blue sea through its long journey.
The ardent sound of the creek,
But few people hear the sound even from a close distance.

淸澗 出自靑山谷 流流朝碧海 潺溪聲最切 近聽人誰解
Taego Bo'u
The last line in particular, struck me. :)

Poem is from here.
“If a human being, even for a single moment, manifests the Buddha’s posture in the three forms of conduct, while that person sits up straight in samādhi, the entire world of Dharma assumes the Buddha’s posture and the whole of space becomes the state of realization." Doyen

New Haven Zen Center
User avatar
Konchog Thogme Jampa
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am
Location: Saha World/Hard to Take

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Thanks Keith nice poem

Enjoy Buddhist Poetry it’s a nice medium to communicate the dharma

:good:
4. From each and every dear companion we will part.
We will leave possessions for which we've strived so hard.
The body's guest house the guest, consciousness, will lose.
To renounce this life is what bodhisattvas do.



དཀོན་མཆོག་ཐོགས་མེད་འབྱམས་པ

Konchog Thogme Jampa
User avatar
KeithA
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by KeithA »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:23 pm Thanks Keith nice poem

Enjoy Buddhist Poetry it’s a nice medium to communicate the dharma

:good:
I do too...finding a poem every month is a nice exercise to go through. I try to make them seasonal, and match a nice picture to go with it. The picture I used for this one has some melting snow in it. :)

There is also a little stack of poems from my teacher sitting on my altar. He writes them for each participant, and reads them aloud during the circle talk at the end. It's a nice touch, and they are often kind of humorous, and always fitting.
“If a human being, even for a single moment, manifests the Buddha’s posture in the three forms of conduct, while that person sits up straight in samādhi, the entire world of Dharma assumes the Buddha’s posture and the whole of space becomes the state of realization." Doyen

New Haven Zen Center
User avatar
Konchog Thogme Jampa
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am
Location: Saha World/Hard to Take

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

KeithA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:23 pm Thanks Keith nice poem

Enjoy Buddhist Poetry it’s a nice medium to communicate the dharma

:good:
I do too...finding a poem every month is a nice exercise to go through. I try to make them seasonal, and match a nice picture to go with it. The picture I used for this one has some melting snow in it. :)

There is also a little stack of poems from my teacher sitting on my altar. He writes them for each participant, and reads them aloud during the circle talk at the end. It's a nice touch, and they are often kind of humorous, and always fitting.
Read a lot of Haiku when I was primarily Jodo Shinshu like Issa then I read Ryokan too there’s a wealth of Buddhist poetry from Japan

Vajrayana has a wealth of dohas/songs also the form is unique in its ability to convey dharma imo
4. From each and every dear companion we will part.
We will leave possessions for which we've strived so hard.
The body's guest house the guest, consciousness, will lose.
To renounce this life is what bodhisattvas do.



དཀོན་མཆོག་ཐོགས་མེད་འབྱམས་པ

Konchog Thogme Jampa
User avatar
KeithA
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by KeithA »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm
KeithA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:23 pm Thanks Keith nice poem

Enjoy Buddhist Poetry it’s a nice medium to communicate the dharma

:good:
I do too...finding a poem every month is a nice exercise to go through. I try to make them seasonal, and match a nice picture to go with it. The picture I used for this one has some melting snow in it. :)

There is also a little stack of poems from my teacher sitting on my altar. He writes them for each participant, and reads them aloud during the circle talk at the end. It's a nice touch, and they are often kind of humorous, and always fitting.
Read a lot of Haiku when I was primarily Jodo Shinshu like Issa then I read Ryokan too there’s a wealth of Buddhist poetry from Japan

Vajrayana has a wealth of dohas/songs also the form is unique in its ability to convey dharma imo
Ryokan is my favorite.

This is probably my favorite Buddhist poem:
As long as I don’t aim,
I won’t miss.
With the catalpa bow
I shoot an arrow
toward the open sky.


- Ryokan
There used to be a haiku thread around here. I think I have a few there. :)
“If a human being, even for a single moment, manifests the Buddha’s posture in the three forms of conduct, while that person sits up straight in samādhi, the entire world of Dharma assumes the Buddha’s posture and the whole of space becomes the state of realization." Doyen

New Haven Zen Center
User avatar
Konchog Thogme Jampa
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am
Location: Saha World/Hard to Take

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

KeithA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:48 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm
KeithA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:28 pm

I do too...finding a poem every month is a nice exercise to go through. I try to make them seasonal, and match a nice picture to go with it. The picture I used for this one has some melting snow in it. :)

There is also a little stack of poems from my teacher sitting on my altar. He writes them for each participant, and reads them aloud during the circle talk at the end. It's a nice touch, and they are often kind of humorous, and always fitting.
Read a lot of Haiku when I was primarily Jodo Shinshu like Issa then I read Ryokan too there’s a wealth of Buddhist poetry from Japan

Vajrayana has a wealth of dohas/songs also the form is unique in its ability to convey dharma imo
Ryokan is my favorite.

This is probably my favorite Buddhist poem:
As long as I don’t aim,
I won’t miss.
With the catalpa bow
I shoot an arrow
toward the open sky.


- Ryokan
There used to be a haiku thread around here. I think I have a few there. :)
Know what you mean about Ryokan really conveys the carefree, contented practice of the Dharma in a profound way. I’d love that but being a Westerner in western society gets in the way a little.
4. From each and every dear companion we will part.
We will leave possessions for which we've strived so hard.
The body's guest house the guest, consciousness, will lose.
To renounce this life is what bodhisattvas do.



དཀོན་མཆོག་ཐོགས་མེད་འབྱམས་པ

Konchog Thogme Jampa
Shinjin
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by Shinjin »


Know what you mean about Ryokan really conveys the carefree, contented practice of the Dharma in a profound way. I’d love that but being a Westerner in western society gets in the way a little.
Was Ryokan the famous zen monk who recited the Nembutsu on his deathbed or was it someone else I'm thinking about?
User avatar
Konchog Thogme Jampa
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am
Location: Saha World/Hard to Take

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Shinjin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:09 pm

Know what you mean about Ryokan really conveys the carefree, contented practice of the Dharma in a profound way. I’d love that but being a Westerner in western society gets in the way a little.
Was Ryokan the famous zen monk who recited the Nembutsu on his deathbed or was it someone else I'm thinking about?
Don’t know
4. From each and every dear companion we will part.
We will leave possessions for which we've strived so hard.
The body's guest house the guest, consciousness, will lose.
To renounce this life is what bodhisattvas do.



དཀོན་མཆོག་ཐོགས་མེད་འབྱམས་པ

Konchog Thogme Jampa
Shinjin
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by Shinjin »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:10 pm
Shinjin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:09 pm

Know what you mean about Ryokan really conveys the carefree, contented practice of the Dharma in a profound way. I’d love that but being a Westerner in western society gets in the way a little.
Was Ryokan the famous zen monk who recited the Nembutsu on his deathbed or was it someone else I'm thinking about?
Don’t know
Ok, nevermind.

:focus:
Miorita
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:37 pm
Location: US

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by Miorita »

Back to the poem, to the lines selected!
Indeed, what mind would look down when everyone is taught to look up?
Only all loving mothers look down for the child.

:anjali:
Miorita
User avatar
KeithA
Posts: 475
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by KeithA »

Shinjin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:09 pm

Know what you mean about Ryokan really conveys the carefree, contented practice of the Dharma in a profound way. I’d love that but being a Westerner in western society gets in the way a little.
Was Ryokan the famous zen monk who recited the Nembutsu on his deathbed or was it someone else I'm thinking about?
It's possible, but I haven't heard of that. There is lot's of pure land crossover in Zen/Chan/Seon
“If a human being, even for a single moment, manifests the Buddha’s posture in the three forms of conduct, while that person sits up straight in samādhi, the entire world of Dharma assumes the Buddha’s posture and the whole of space becomes the state of realization." Doyen

New Haven Zen Center
Shinjin
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:44 pm

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by Shinjin »

KeithA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:32 pm
Shinjin wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:09 pm

Know what you mean about Ryokan really conveys the carefree, contented practice of the Dharma in a profound way. I’d love that but being a Westerner in western society gets in the way a little.
Was Ryokan the famous zen monk who recited the Nembutsu on his deathbed or was it someone else I'm thinking about?
It's possible, but I haven't heard of that. There is lot's of pure land crossover in Zen/Chan/Seon
True. I just did a google search and it was him.

If people ask about
Ryokan’s death poem,
Tell them it was
“Homage to
Amitabha Buddha.”

[...]

Farewell—
I will jump
Onto a lotus leaf.
Let people call me
A frog!

~Ryokan, 1758 - 1831. Taken from the book Sky Above, Great Wind
User avatar
Konchog Thogme Jampa
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:48 am
Location: Saha World/Hard to Take

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

:good:
4. From each and every dear companion we will part.
We will leave possessions for which we've strived so hard.
The body's guest house the guest, consciousness, will lose.
To renounce this life is what bodhisattvas do.



དཀོན་མཆོག་ཐོགས་མེད་འབྱམས་པ

Konchog Thogme Jampa
Jesse
Posts: 2127
Joined: Wed May 08, 2013 6:54 am
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: What is it that hears the sound?

Post by Jesse »

A few lines from a poem I wrote last year
I am adamant about reaching my destination
whatever place that may be
for whatever shapes appease these eyes that see
and whatever sounds create ears by which their own voices can be heard
Image
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
Post Reply

Return to “Creative Writing”