Padampa Sangye at Kerala?

Tenma

Padampa Sangye at Kerala?

Post by Tenma »

I recently encountered a rather blasphemous film that went on about your typical dude promoting some mix between "mysterious Tibetan Buddhism," dakinis, and utter quantum physics nonsense that clearly reflected ignorance of what physics was in addition to the tantras (what really annoyed me was how he tried manipulating the dialogues of famous teachers to match his agenda). Still, there were some lovely images that made it all worth it!

One claim the filmmaker made that I wanted to verify was that both Bodhidharma and Padampa Sangye were from Kerala and that's where they got their "flesh-based" practices from. While I did find a few scholarly articles on Bodhidharma being from Kerala (though I haven't verified them yet), I could only find one unverifiable source about Padampa Sangye being from there (and other sources going back to this one source). Any input on this?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Lingpupa

Re: Padampa Sangye at Kerala?

Post by Lingpupa »

I recognized your description straight away - you've been watching Laurence Brahm films haven't you? His balls-up of science is as total as his balls-up of Buddhism, not to mention culture. But yes, there are a few nice pictures.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Lingpupa wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:13 am I recognized your description straight away - you've been watching Laurence Brahm films haven't you? His balls-up of science is as total as his balls-up of Buddhism, not to mention culture. But yes, there are a few nice pictures.
Omg that guy again
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Lingpupa wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:13 am I recognized your description straight away - you've been watching Laurence Brahm films haven't you? His balls-up of science is as total as his balls-up of Buddhism, not to mention culture. But yes, there are a few nice pictures.
Bingo! Based on my assessment and research, this Kerala thing is unverified I presume.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Natan

Post by Natan »

Not saying it's true, but I was told that the Dharma Bodhi in Milarepa's 100,000 Songs or the Biography, I can't remember which, was Padampa Sangye.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

I'm trying to tidy up my hard drive, and came across this that I wrote some months back about one of Laurence Brahm's releases:
This is one of the worst films I have ever seen. The editing is ghastly, the cod physics is utter tosh, and there is no central concept beyond "woo-woo it's all Woo Woo". Some of the interviewees must know what they are talking about - they include Rabjam Rinpoche and Chokyi Nyima, for example. At the other end they include self-invented twaddle merchants who think that if you say "hard drive cloud quantum field akashic record wormhole dakini black hole download Guru Rinpoche energy multiple dimensions" fast enough you will look clever. News: you won't.
The film is an insult to anybody's intelligence and an insult to Buddhist spirituality. I would be embarrassed if friends saw it and asked me if that is what I am into, which is partly why I want to be on record saying how bad it is.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

It sounds like you guys referring to the Padmasambhava and Dakini Code films? :rolling:

If you are, yes, there is admittedly a certain entertainment value.

Shaun :namaste:
nyonchung

Post by nyonchung »

Tenma wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:13 am I recently encountered a rather blasphemous film that went on about your typical dude promoting some mix between "mysterious Tibetan Buddhism," dakinis, and utter quantum physics nonsense that clearly reflected ignorance of what physics was in addition to the tantras (what really annoyed me was how he tried manipulating the dialogues of famous teachers to match his agenda). Still, there were some lovely images that made it all worth it!

One claim the filmmaker made that I wanted to verify was that both Bodhidharma and Padampa Sangye were from Kerala and that's where they got their "flesh-based" practices from. While I did find a few scholarly articles on Bodhidharma being from Kerala (though I haven't verified them yet), I could only find one unverifiable source about Padampa Sangye being from there (and other sources going back to this one source). Any input on this?
Quantum physics, I don't know
For Bodhidharma, not sure, possibly a South Indian, but also possibly from Central Asia (a Yuezhi, speaking an Indo-Aryan language)
As for Dampa Sanggyé, certainly from South India, but where exactly? born in bhe ta la or be da la, in khron pa'i gling =(kūvadvīpa)? near the ocean, in a place blessed by Avalokiteshvara (Pothigai?), the two main biographies I know differ
cf - vedalī - a city in the South - Edgerton (1953/2004), vol. 2, p. 508
My impression is: possibly in Tamil Nadu (and not Kerala) there are lands mentioned further South and islands (possibly Rameswaram) - but this can be Maldives (I doubt this, since these islands provide plants for incense-making)
Not far also from Khadiravana,the residence of Tara ...

He is quite clearly described with South-Indian features, and the basis of his teaching was in great part collected from dakinis (a few weird stories) but from all parts of India

Blasphemous? still possible to be blasphemous in this century?
"Me and the sky don't hold views - Me and the river have no fixed practice
Me and the madman don't have a guide- Me and the rainbow have no experiences
Me, the sun and the moon have no certitudes - Me and the jewel bear no fruit" - Dampa Sanggyé as quoted by Domar Mingyur Dorjé (born 1675)
VolkerK

Post by VolkerK »

Paramabuddha (Padampa Sangye) is a Buddhist Mahasiddha from South India who lived in the 11th-12th Century CE (AD). He traveled to Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan and China and led many disciples to great realization. In praise of his realization, his disciples called him Pha Dampa Sangye or Paramabuddha (Supreme Buddha, who is like a father). Based on the Tibetan hagiographies, his birthplace can be identified to be in Kerala, near Sabarimala hills. One of his main teachers was another Buddhist Mahayogi named Aryadeva (not same as Nagarjuna’s disciple Aryadeva).
https://www.wayofbodhi.org/paramabuddha ... -ayyappan/

https://treasuryoflives.org/biographies ... ggye-/2510

Return to “Chod”