Khenpo Drimed Dawa

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lingpupa

Khenpo Drimed Dawa

Post by Lingpupa »

Khenpo Drimed Dawa - anybody know anything? Experience?
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Lingpupa

Re: Khenpo Drimed Dawa

Post by Lingpupa »

Bump! Has really nobody come across him at all?
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
heart

Post by heart »

Lingpupa wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:10 pm Bump! Has really nobody come across him at all?
Came across this :smile: https://24f1eb16-901a-473d-abf9-c5e43ab ... dc4c68.pdf
Seems to depend on how much you trust Khenchen Lama, anyway his title comes “in recognition of special qualities such as profound knowledge and extraordinary skill in helping to teach others.”

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

heart wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:39 pm Seems to depend on how much you trust Khenchen Lama, anyway his title comes “in recognition of special qualities such as profound knowledge and extraordinary skill in helping to teach others.”
Thanks for that. From the little I looked at he seemed like an OK chap, but the title intrigued me. Title inflation, again, I'm afraid: "in recognition of special qualities" isn't quite the same as having successfully completed courses of study and passed the concluding exams. But who knows? I'm not really trying to judge him, just curious to lift the lid a little.
All best wishes

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I met him when I was attending a Khenchen Palgyepa Dorje retreat in Tucson maybe 10 years ago. He seemed very friendly, sincere, and not inflated. His FB posts are ok; no flashing red lights. Sorry I can't tell you more.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

He was at all of the Empowerments that Khenchen Palgyepa Dorje had in Tucson that i went to.He seemed like a nice guy.
bryandavis

Post by bryandavis »

I checked him out online. The good thing for all of you who are interested, is that he reads from many nyingtig text translated into English and you can learn all of the togal postures and hear descriptions of the four visions. He gives the lung for Yeshe Lama in some videos also. And to boot, lets you look at some book that has art of the visions just to help you out in case you didn't know what to look for. He also seems like a nice guy.

Yes, I'm trolling.

Edit: His title on YouTube is "Yogi Khenpo Drimed Dawa", just to get the title correct.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I just came across his youtube channel last night. He seems like a nice and interesting guy with a lot to offer. But I noticed that he openly teaches togal on youtube, as others have alluded to, as well as completion stage practices such as tsa lung and tummo.

I looked at his homepage and realized that he does seem to be authorized to teach by Khenchen lama. Not only that, but Khenchen lama is the spiritual director of the spiritual center of which he is the president.

"Yogi Khenpo Drimed Dawa (Khenpo Dean or Dr. Pielstick) is an ordained lay practitioner and was named President of the Awam Tibetan Buddhist Institute (then Dharmakirti College) on Losar, 2007 and conferred the title of “Khenpo”* by HH Khenchen Lama Rinpoche on Losar, 2009. He has also studied with HE Jigme Lodro Rinpoche, HE Garchen Rinpoche, Ven. Sang-Ngak Rinpoche, Ven. Traga Rinpoche, Ven. Gyalpo Rinpoche, Ven. Ontul Rinpoche, Yogi Lama Gursam and numerous others. He has received empowerments and teachings from HH the Dalai Lama, HH Chetsang Rinpoche, HH Sakya Trizin, along with many other contemporary and historical figures. His primary practice is Dzogchen and he has a particular affinity for the Dzogchen teachings of Longchen Rabjam, Jigme Lingpa and Mipham Rinpoche, as well as the core foundations in "Pre-sectarian Buddhism..."

"Our Spiritual Director is His Holiness Khenchen Lama Rinpoche, who is the current head of the Padling Tersar lineage (see "Our Lineage" below). He is currently residing in York, England, and teaches at other locations across the globe." ...

https://www.awaminstitute.org/copy-of-site-template

Now he (Khenpo Drimed Dawa) seems like a good and capable teacher and I give him credit for trying to guide students, but it is confusing to me that he would teach these things so openly.

I also have a lot of respect for Khenchen Lama, and he is a terton, so I don't understand how he could authorize this? Aren't these teachings meant to be kept more guarded?

Virgo
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

I've read (parts of) his highly hotpotched "Innate Happiness" and I don't want to have anything to do with this guy!
Very strange practices and mingling bonpo-sadhanas with buddhist practices in a very strange style, etc., etc..
Lost In Transmission
LunaRoja

Post by LunaRoja »

I was looking at his facebook page and I found it very strange that after Dean announced Lho Ontul Rinpoche's passing he said he would lead the students in a practice to guide the deceased though the Bardo.

Rinpoche was a Dzogchen Master it is usually instructed for those with a connection with a Master to meditate on merging with his enlightened mind. This struck me a somewhat disrespectful to Ontul Rinpoche.
stoneinfocus

Post by stoneinfocus »

LunaRoja wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:35 pm I was looking at his facebook page and I found it very strange that after Dean announced Lho Ontul Rinpoche's passing he said he would lead the students in a practice to guide the deceased though the Bardo.

Rinpoche was a Dzogchen Master it is usually instructed for those with a connection with a Master to meditate on merging with his enlightened mind. This struck me a somewhat disrespectful to Ontul Rinpoche.
Yeah, if there's anyone who doesn't need bardo practices done for them, it's a realized master lol.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

lelopa wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:24 am I've read (parts of) his highly hotpotched "Innate Happiness" and I don't want to have anything to do with this guy!
Very strange practices and mingling bonpo-sadhanas with buddhist practices in a very strange style, etc., etc..
Pretty strange indeed. Another western "mind" treasure.
Attachments
PastedGraphic-1.png
PastedGraphic-1.png (56.71 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
LunaRoja

Post by LunaRoja »

stoneinfocus wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:42 pm
Yeah, if there's anyone who doesn't need bardo practices done for them, it's a realized master lol.
Exactly!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”