Is there a chinese tripitaka in english?

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
khemindas

Is there a chinese tripitaka in english?

Post by khemindas »

Actually there are already whole Pali tipitaka in english even in electronic version, but I found a problem to find whole Chinese Tripitaka in english, mostly mahayana followers are bringing some sutras to some websites or selling small collection of sutras. Is there a whole Chinese Tripitaka in english or at least the most part of it?
Zhen Li

Re: Is there a chinese tripitaka in english?

Post by Zhen Li »

khemindas wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:31 am Actually there are already whole Pali tipitaka in english even in electronic version, but I found a problem to find whole Chinese Tripitaka in english, mostly mahayana followers are bringing some sutras to some websites or selling small collection of sutras. Is there a whole Chinese Tripitaka in english or at least the most part of it?
Unfortunately not yet. The Pali Canon is roughly 40-50 volumes in total, depending on the language and script. The Taishō Tripitaka of Chinese Buddhist texts is 85 volumes in Chinese characters. One Chinese volume is usually equivalent to 1.5 or 2 English volumes in Translation (sometimes more if notes are included), meaning we are looking at more like 150 volumes or so if they were all translated. Each one of which sometimes contains very different quality Chinese translations, so people usually just focus on one rather than going through a whole Taishō volume—though this is being done with the Āgamas (volumes 1 and 2).

This bibliography is useful for keeping track of what is available and where it can be found: https://mbingenheimer.net/tools/bibls/transbibl.html
Shaku Shingan (釈心願)
Shingan's Portal
Learning the Navagrantha
khemindas

Post by khemindas »

And are there any website projects among mahayana practicioners same as suttacentral or accesstoinsight, but with chinese buddhist canon?
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

www.84000.co for Tibetan Buddhists
IF YOU PRACTICE WITH A STRONG BELIEF IN WHAT
YOU ARE DOING, THEN THERE IS NO LIMIT TO WHAT
YOU CAN ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR PRACTICE.

CHAKUNG JIGME WANGDRAK RINPOCHE

Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

I know I've seen English translations of a few of the agamas online, but quite few.
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

khemindas wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:31 am Actually there are already whole Pali tipitaka in english even in electronic version, but I found a problem to find whole Chinese Tripitaka in english, mostly mahayana followers are bringing some sutras to some websites or selling small collection of sutras. Is there a whole Chinese Tripitaka in english or at least the most part of it?
The most ambitious project to translate the Chinese Tripitaka into English is Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai's English Tripiṭaka Project. They have set a goal of translating 10% in 100 years, starting 1986. If it goes to plan, we will have the complete Chinese Tripitaka translated into English by 2986.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

khemindas wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:42 pm And are there any website projects among mahayana practicioners same as suttacentral or accesstoinsight, but with chinese buddhist canon?
Maybe we should make a site that links to the currently available translations online. I guess Marcus Bingenheimer's site could do this, but he would probably get flack from publishers whose publications are being linked to (even though he wouldn't be hosting them). It is probably something best done anonymously.
Shaku Shingan (釈心願)
Shingan's Portal
Learning the Navagrantha
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

This took a long time to compile, but I felt like a resource like this was necessary. Bibliographies exist, but I couldn't find a collection of links to readily accessible translations online from the Taishō Canon.

If find anything that could be added, or find any dead links, please let me know. I am to keep this complete and up to date:
English Taishō Tripiṭaka.
Shaku Shingan (釈心願)
Shingan's Portal
Learning the Navagrantha
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Zhen Li wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:27 am This took a long time to compile, but I felt like a resource like this was necessary. Bibliographies exist, but I couldn't find a collection of links to readily accessible translations online from the Taishō Canon.

If find anything that could be added, or find any dead links, please let me know. I am to keep this complete and up to date:
Thanks for this!
“If a human being, even for a single moment, manifests the Buddha’s posture in the three forms of conduct, while that person sits up straight in samādhi, the entire world of Dharma assumes the Buddha’s posture and the whole of space becomes the state of realization." Doyen

New Haven Zen Center
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Zhen Li wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:27 am This took a long time to compile, but I felt like a resource like this was necessary. Bibliographies exist, but I couldn't find a collection of links to readily accessible translations online from the Taishō Canon.

:applause:
CAVEAT: TL;DR Don't take me seriously. Regardless of the authority I presume in my manner of writing, the thoughts and opinions I express here are tentative at best, subject to revision, and carry no recognized authority in fact. My participation in these forums is mostly indulgence in bad habits. I can only hope that they are occasionally productive.

Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Upaya Chapter
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

KeithA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:08 pm

Thanks for this!
No problem. I think this can also give an idea of the massive amount that is still to be translated.

Marcus Bingenheimer's bibliography is useful, but it is not complete and even old translations are sometimes missing. Also, even though it says last updated 2022-01-10, there is a lot that isn't included and it isn't clear what criteria are used for inclusion. There are some BDK translations missing, which are certainly peer-reviewed, and yet it includes Rulu's non-scholarly translations (which are nonetheless pioneering and linked extensively in my website). So, a bit of work is still needed for locating stuff he might have overlooked.

The Compassion Network has an interesting index, somewhat similar to mine, but not all of the links are accessible online and some go to book purchase pages: https://thecompassionnetwork.org/tripitaka-lists/

My principle was essentially to link to whatever is available directly online. This is pretty important, because today if a translation is not accessible online or, is hidden in a back issue of an obscure journal, it's practically non-existent for the majority of non-scholar practitioners. In principle, I think that all Dharma should be available for free online, and of course, hard copies can be purchased to directly support translators.

I actually agree with "The Compassion Network"'s mission, which is stated as:
The reason that we are using an editor that imitates Wikimedia is because the aim here is “wiki”, to quickly translate the Buddhist Canon so that some initial draft is available for the English-speaking public. The “wiki” process also offers an opportunity to focus less on the ego, particularly in building a name for oneself as a Buddhist translator, editor, or scholar. This is meant to be in keeping with the Buddhist training.
I think that having an initial draft is a great idea, even if it is not perfectly polished. I think of many of Rulu's translations as great examples of this principle in action—at least we now have an idea of what those texts say, even if they are not 100%. Also, this looks like what I have seen in Chinese translations. For instance, in translating the Tathāgataguhya, the 3rd Century Dharmarakṣa (or rather, his committee) clearly was struggling to express Buddhist ideas in Chinese and resorted to a lot of Daoist terminologies. By the time of the Song Dynasty, the latter Dharmarakṣa re-translated the same sūtra and it reads far more fluently—I almost felt like I was reading Sanskrit through the Chinese. Translation principles and methods had evolved significantly, and that's over an 800 year period.
Shaku Shingan (釈心願)
Shingan's Portal
Learning the Navagrantha

Return to “Sūtra Studies”