Transfer of merit

Ivan A

Transfer of merit

Post by Ivan A »

Transfer of merit (Sanskrit: pariṇāmanā) is a standard part of Buddhist spiritual discipline where the practitioner's merit, resulting from good deeds, is transferred to deceased relatives, to deities, or to all sentient beings. Does this practice take place in Zen Buddhism? In particular in Soto?
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: Transfer of merit

Post by Hazel »

Ivan A wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:25 pm Transfer of merit (Sanskrit: pariṇāmanā) is a standard part of Buddhist spiritual discipline where the practitioner's merit, resulting from good deeds, is transferred to deceased relatives, to deities, or to all sentient beings. Does this practice take place in Zen Buddhism? In particular in Soto?
As far as I know this is not a practice in any tradition.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

Hazel wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:01 pm
Ivan A wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:25 pm Transfer of merit (Sanskrit: pariṇāmanā) is a standard part of Buddhist spiritual discipline where the practitioner's merit, resulting from good deeds, is transferred to deceased relatives, to deities, or to all sentient beings. Does this practice take place in Zen Buddhism? In particular in Soto?
Of course it does: 'transfer of merit' = dedication.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Charlie123 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:16 pm
Of course it does: 'transfer of merit' = dedication.
Thank you, I misunderstood.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Ivan A

Post by Ivan A »

Oh, it's widely practiced in almost all traditions. Read about it!
HePo

Post by HePo »

You can read about it on the official Sotoshu (Soto Zen) website dedicate merit (ekō 囘向)
Ivan A

Post by Ivan A »

HePo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:39 pm
You can read about it on the official Sotoshu (Soto Zen) website dedicate merit (ekō 囘向)
Many many thanks!!!

Return to “Soto”