An Important Reminder

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Dharmaswede

Re: An Important Reminder

Post by Dharmaswede »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:05 am
He was absolutely pissed (I was there) when heartdrops was published and basically told all his students they should not read it,if they had not received thogal transmission. There is a solid reason why if one was not present at his thogal and yangti retreats one will never see his longsal teachings on these subjects. He wasnt kidding.
And not everyone in the bonpo camp was happy when it was published.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:16 pm Responding to Sadhaka:
So you doubt that ChNN told people...

No I’m not doubting it.

And I’ve heard and read the story about the bus incident a few times.

My post was just kind of a general FYI for people reading this thread; not necessarily challenging what you posted.

Dharmaswede wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:29 pmAnd not everyone in the bonpo camp was happy when it was published.

My understanding is that Yongdzin Rinpoche and/or his Guru had consulted the Protectors about it. Although perhaps what I’d read was misinformation; but I don’t think so.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sādhaka wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:27 pm My understanding is that Yongdzin Rinpoche and/or his Guru had consulted the Protectors about it. Although perhaps what I’d read was misinformation; but I don’t think so.
His guru had, some years before his death, consulted the bon protectors whether the time was right to teach Dzogchen more openly, not about whether to publish Thogal texts with Snow Lion.

We can see very clearly that none of the translations Zhang Zhung sNyan rgyud texts have been published in a way that they are available to anyone, other than Achard's book on the Six Lamps. I can tell you for sure that it is because the Bonpos do not want such texts published. Of course, if you know Tibetan, it is a different story.
KC:

Post by KC: »

Just now?
I find myself facing the matter of "two Karmapas".

Don't be scholastic. We are Kagyu ... not Gelug.
o_0
biryani

Post by biryani »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:17 pm What about books that aren’t “Dzogchen texts” but nevertheless discuss Dzogchen?
I am wondering this as well. I have copies of The Crystal and the Way of Light and Dzogchen: The Self-Perfected State on the way. Should I hold off on reading them till I've received dzogchen teachings in person?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

biryani wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:07 pm
SilenceMonkey wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:17 pm What about books that aren’t “Dzogchen texts” but nevertheless discuss Dzogchen?
I am wondering this as well. I have copies of The Crystal and the Way of Light and Dzogchen: The Self-Perfected State on the way. Should I hold off on reading them till I've received dzogchen teachings in person?
Those are unrestricted afaik, and there is no problem with reading them. Further, they are IMO two of the best books ever explaining the Dzogchen view.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

biryani wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:07 pm I have copies of The Crystal and the Way of Light
This one you should read as soon as you can.

It is not a restricted book, nor is Dzogchen: The Self-Perfected State.

Virgo

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”