Practicing Daimoku But Drawn to Tibetan

EdwinaAmanita

Practicing Daimoku But Drawn to Tibetan

Post by EdwinaAmanita »

Hello.
I was a lazy Buddhist for years. Just doing mindfulness here and there. But when I found myself in severe turmoil it was Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and the gongyo that really helped me to break through some of the mess that I was living through. I felt utterly changed by practicing daimoku. Granted, this was all during the pandemic and I didn’t really get a chance to seek out a Sanga (i live in New York City and dying to meet people to chant with )

But I have a very dear friend who practices Varajyana Tibetan Buddhism, and she’s always been so supportive and I love talking to her. Well she sent me a meditation that really helped me to make sense of things that I never knew were available to me. And without going into detail I’ll say I’m wanting to embrace that particular type of Varajhana but I don’t see myself stopping my daimoku twice per day.

I understand that in varjayana initiations are important. I don’t think it was her intent to initiate me , but I feel like that particular lineage of varjayana really literally speaking to me in my dreams (in a good way). And I must say that the dreams started when I started chanting Daimoku and then inserting some varjayana into my practice has sort of elevated some of the more mystical things that are currently happening to me.

I suppose my question is what are the prevailing attitudes in SGI about practicing with other types of Buddhists in tandem with chanting Daimoku ? I’ve so far practiced on my own. My friend I mentioned , who lives in another state, is about the only other Buddhist I keep in touch with.

I realize that when we practice it all comes down to cognizing the phenomenon as inside of your rather than external. But I guess I’m seeing if anyone else has had these same feeling I do. Like I’ get such joy from Daimoku at the same time I’m having what I would say supernatural dreams and visions about Varjayana deities that are suppose to only reveal themselves to the initiated (which i am not)

If anyone is NyC and knows of a chanting group please let me know .
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Practicing Daimoku But Drawn to Tibetan

Post by narhwal90 »

I maintain a Soto zen practice with a sangha, and practice in my local SGI district. I don't mix them ie I do gongyo and chanting or the soto-style sitting, I don't use one to critique the other. I've found the experience of the two traditions helpful. Soto brings great clarity and focus to experience, Nichiren brings hardnosed determination to practice- and chanting quells the monkey mind like nothing I've experienced in soto.

So far neither the soto folks or the SGI people are particularly bothered. The soto folks seem to appreciate the occasional reference to life in Nichiren-land as a different perspective, and I discuss zen things with a few SGI folks who are interested in how others practice.

I've had a good experience taking up both, but I would not vote in favor of some kind of synthesis. I find practice with others more productive and satisfying than solo, I keep having the impression that practice with others is the better part of any tradition.
EdwinaAmanita

Post by EdwinaAmanita »

Wow thank you so much for sharing that. I wish you the best on your journey
daimokuchanter

Post by daimokuchanter »

The crux of any Vajrayana Buddhist practice is the relationship between teacher & student. If you pursued the Vajrayana path, and still wanted to chant daimoku and gongyo, it would be up to whomever you have established that bond with. Essentially it would be up to your Tibetan teacher. The practice of Nichiren Buddhism and Vajrayana are not mutually exclusive, however.

Return to “Soka Gakkai/SGI”