On two questions; the omnipotence of Buddha and the omnipotence of merit

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
Bikkhu87

On two questions; the omnipotence of Buddha and the omnipotence of merit

Post by Bikkhu87 »

Buddha was not omnipotent? Tevijja Sutta (triple knowledge) and the omnipotence of the God Brahmâ

It is mentioned in the suttas that the Buddha was not omniscient, or if he was he had a non-simultaneous knowledge of everything, his omniscience was to access any knowledge about anything but not simultaneously like the monotheistic God of religions with omniscience to know it everything at once.

If the Buddha was omniscient, in the sense that he had to know anything about something in particular, it seems that he possessed a limited form of omniscience so to speak, then if a being with omniscience does in fact imply having omnipotence, or at least omnipotence with respect to control of space, time, matter and energy, was that possible for Buddha? as limited and not absolute omnipotence how to undo all karmas and remove all beings from samsara I mean to have some control over the cosmos and its laws of physics.

On the reservation of merit in the Nikhidanka Sutta

It is possible that if I start accumulating merits and I strive quickly, accumulating more and more and more, the universe may somehow or the power of my merit make me win a lottery prize, perhaps not the biggest prize but one important enough. to stop working or lead a life of luxury?.

In the Sutta it is said that by merit you get everything. Both the pleasure of the gods and the human kingdom. With the saving of merit, both devas and human beings get everything they want.
Caoimhghín

Re: On two questions; the omnipotence of Buddha and the omnipotence of merit

Post by Caoimhghín »

There is a bit of a conundrum here. If the Buddha has the ability to discern whatever he directs his mind to, what if he directs his mind to "all things?"

"There can only be one object of cognition at a time" is a possible Buddhist answer. No one can simultaneously focus on all dharmas is a consequence of this, if true. Nonetheless, "knowledge of X" is vague. If the Buddha understands the underlying principles of X, its causes, origination, cessation, etc., then he "knows X" even if it is not his direct object of perception at the given moment.

The mind of a Buddha is unfathomable. Likely there is no straight answer. Anyone else care to elaborate, i.e. to argue the opposite, that the Buddha was omniscient with regards to all sense objects?
Then, the monks uttered this gāthā:

These bodies are like foam.
Them being frail, who can rejoice in them?
The Buddha attained the vajra-body.
Still, it becomes inconstant and ruined.
The many Buddhas are vajra-entities.
All are also subject to inconstancy.
Quickly ended, like melting snow --
how could things be different?

The Buddha passed into parinirvāṇa afterward.
(T1.27b10 Mahāparinirvāṇasūtra DĀ 2)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Caoimhghín wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:30 pm The mind of a Buddha is unfathomable.
That's the answer.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I think omniscience is a misunderstood concept in the Buddhist context.
People think of it like someone who is the universe’s greatest trivia expert. An unlimited, walking encyclopedia.
But I think it has more to do with wisdom, and understanding the true nature of all phenomena, so that everything as it is becomes perfectly clear to you automatically. You instantly see how everything is connected.

It’s like, if you see a dinner plate pushed towards the edge of a table, you can predict that if the table gets bumped, the plate will fall onto the floor. Well, I think that for a Buddha, it’s like that, except with everything, not just dinner plates. Likewise seeing what have been the past causes for things now occurring.

So, omniscience isn’t possessing a collection of static facts or data, but being able to clearly see into active processes of all things.

After all, nothing is static to begin with. Everything is in constant motion, constant change.

That’s my understanding, anyway.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”