Which of Sheng Yen's Dharma Heirs recieved yinke?

SeekNothing

Which of Sheng Yen's Dharma Heirs recieved yinke?

Post by SeekNothing »

I was wondering which of Shen Yen's Dharma Heirs received yinke. I noticed the Wikipedia article mentions that in the Dharma Drum Lineage Dharma Transmission does not mean yinke has been received. Is this typical of modern Chan lineages? How to best find a qualified teacher?
Aemilius

Re: Which of Sheng Yen's Dharma Heirs recieved yinke?

Post by Aemilius »

If you only trust a formal Inka or transmission, it means that you do not trust your own mind, your own perception, your own mind's capacity to see and recognize enlightenment.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Aemilius wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:09 pm If you only trust a formal Inka or transmission, it means that you do not trust your own mind, your own perception, your own mind's capacity to see and recognize enlightenment.
Yeah, it's done such a great job of recognizing "enlightenment," whatever that is, since beginningless samsara, who needs any help?
SeekNothing

Post by SeekNothing »

Matt J wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:04 pm List here:

https://www.westernchanfellowship.org// ... age-chart/
Thanks for the link.

Is there a reason why the Dharma Heirs in the west are lay, while in the east they are monastics?

Also, I'm not sure if this answers my original question, as these are people who have received Dharma Transmission, but the Wikipedia article on Sheng Yen claims that in Dharma Drum this is not based on yinke, but on service to Dharma Drum. The source for it is in Chinese, so I cannot verify this is accurate or not. Do you know? It also says some people have received yinke but not Dharma Transmission. (The same source for that citation.)
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:12 pm
Aemilius wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:09 pm If you only trust a formal Inka or transmission, it means that you do not trust your own mind, your own perception, your own mind's capacity to see and recognize enlightenment.
Yeah, it's done such a great job of recognizing "enlightenment," whatever that is, since beginningless samsara, who needs any help?
Unfortunately we people very often trust signs, and not the signless, enlightenment.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

SeekNothing wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:09 am I was wondering which of Shen Yen's Dharma Heirs received yinke. I noticed the Wikipedia article mentions that in the Dharma Drum Lineage Dharma Transmission does not mean yinke has been received. Is this typical of modern Chan lineages? How to best find a qualified teacher?
The first two of Master Sheng Yen's Dharma heirs are talked about as great masters in the lineage. The first two Dharma heirs, Jicheng Fashi and Guoru Fashi are thought to be great masters with realization. Whether or not people have realization or "enlightenment" is a touchy subject in chinese buddhism, especially at Dharma Drum Mountain. But many at Dharma Drum Mountain in Taiwan believe them to have achieved realization. And many students (lay and monastic) at Dharma Drum Mountain see Jicheng Fashi as their personal teacher, although he doesn't formally "take disciples."

Jicheng Fashi will come to DDM each year to lead a 7-day chan retreat. And every summer he leads a 49-day Silent Illumination retreat in Poland. That's where to go if you want to learn with him.

Guoru Fashi lives in Beitou (a district of Taipei) at his beautiful monastery. He is known as a fiery chan master of the 棒喝 (beating and shouting) variety. Some of the sangha members at DDM sort of have their doubts about this, but a number of people their have a strong devotion for him as a master. From what I hear, a few years ago he seems to have taken a step back from teaching to focus on writing books. He is letting some of his students assume the teaching role at the monastery.

Linda Huang and her husband were both the first students of Ven. Guoru to receive dharma transmission. She is a powerful master, and I'm sure her husband is also. You can find them at the None Zen center.

Ven. Guoxing and Ven. Guoyuan are awesome teachers. Both speak english and rotate between being in charge of the Chan Hall at Dharma Drum Mountain and the DDM Retreat Center in Pine Bush, NY.

Some of the people who received Dharma transmission might have received it because Master Sheng Yen saw a good potential for them to run the organization. A few others might not be talked about so much because they ran afoul from the values of DDM.

Of the lay dharma heirs, I have a deep respect for John Crook because his translations are astounding. And I've heard Simon Child is a good teacher.

Can't say I know any more than this, but I hope it helps. Just my own views, really.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Jicheng Fashi's social media is very inspiring for me. They are full of the incense of Chinese Dharma.

On Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ChiChernFaShi
https://www.facebook.com/mati.shijia
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

SeekNothing wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:31 am
Matt J wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:04 pm List here:

https://www.westernchanfellowship.org// ... age-chart/
Thanks for the link.

Is there a reason why the Dharma Heirs in the west are lay, while in the east they are monastics?

Also, I'm not sure if this answers my original question, as these are people who have received Dharma Transmission, but the Wikipedia article on Sheng Yen claims that in Dharma Drum this is not based on yinke, but on service to Dharma Drum. The source for it is in Chinese, so I cannot verify this is accurate or not. Do you know? It also says some people have received yinke but not Dharma Transmission. (The same source for that citation.)
The people on the bottom of that page whose Dharma names begin 正 or 淨 received yinke from Shengyan. These happen to be monastics in Taiwan and lay persons in the US/Europe largely because most of his serious students in Taiwan were monks and most of his serious students elsewhere were not. I don't know all of them personally but those I do (Guoyuan, Guoru, Guojing) are all very good teachers. Shengyan once or twice talked about why he gave yinke to so many people when in the past, teachers might only give it once or twice in their lifetime. He makes it clear that ensuring that the teachings would survive and spread was important to him.
desert_woodworker

Post by desert_woodworker »

Guo-Jun (among others) has rec'd that nod, and he is Sheng Yen's youngest Dharma heir.

Have you seen this video? Guo-Jun Shih is explicit that zazen makes a person more "tolerant", as one of its benefits. Though, he does not necessarily credit it as the force that leads to one's awakening, should that occur. Interesting! But historically correct, also, if you read the awakening stories of our Ancestors. "Polishing a tile!"

--Joe (Guo-Xiang)

(dunno if posting just the HTML link, without a YouTube-wrapper, will operate here: newbie, myself. Trying... )

avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

--Joe (Guo-Xiang)
Thanks, Joe, for adding it.

Return to “Chan”