Questions about riwo sangchöd

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Damchö_Dorje

Questions about riwo sangchöd

Post by Damchö_Dorje »

One of my teachers gave permission for me to practice the Lhatsun Namkha Jigmé riwo sangchöd.

What class of yoga is riwo sangchöd in terms of the 9 yanas?

Is there any visual resource available for learning the mudras?

Can I do an intention to benefit specific situations?

Are there any good commentaries available?
heart

Re: Questions about riwo sangchöd

Post by heart »

Damchö_Dorje wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:37 am One of my teachers gave permission for me to practice the Lhatsun Namkha Jigmé riwo sangchöd.

What class of yoga is riwo sangchöd in terms of the 9 yanas?

Is there any visual resource available for learning the mudras?

Can I do an intention to benefit specific situations?

Are there any good commentaries available?
Lhatsun Namkha Jigmé riwo sangchöd is considered very profound: "The practice of Riwo Sangchö, the mengak, ‘secret instruction’, from Lhatsün Namkha Jikmé’s ‘Rigdzin Sokdrup’". Rigdzin Sogdrup is Maha/Anu/Ati cycle.

Root text: https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... e-offering

Dudjom Rinpoches arrangement: https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... wo-sangcho

A commentary: https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... entle-rain

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
rai

Post by rai »

Does anyone know the story (or suspect) why HH Dudjom Rinpoche made the additions (self-generation etc) ?
heart

Post by heart »

rai wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:11 am Does anyone know the story (or suspect) why HH Dudjom Rinpoche made the additions (self-generation etc) ?
I think its common to combine self-generation and sang. In the Chokling tersar you often combine a short Guru Rinpoche with the short sang, both from the Tukdrub Barche Kunsel for example.So by adding a super short self-generation to the sang Dudjom Rinpoche makes Riwo Sangchö to a standalone practice. Dudjom Rinpoche was a lineage holder of the Rigzin Sogdrub, the cycle that contains Riwo Sangchö.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
rai

Post by rai »

heart wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:31 am So by adding a super short self-generation to the sang Dudjom Rinpoche makes Riwo Sangchö to a standalone practice.
Thank you Magnus! What does "standalone practice" means? something like a "complete method" even if no other practice is ever done?
heart

Post by heart »

rai wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:04 am
heart wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:31 am So by adding a super short self-generation to the sang Dudjom Rinpoche makes Riwo Sangchö to a standalone practice.
Thank you Magnus! What does "standalone practice" means? something like a "complete method" even if no other practice is ever done?
Yes, it is a standalone because it is complete. You don't need to add anything. However tibetans often repeat the verses many time and they often add in many other sang texts when doing Riwo Sangchö. In the Tibetan tradition you can always make things longer. :smile:

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

rai

Post by rai »

Thank you :anjali:
rai

Post by rai »

I read a comment by HH Dudjom Rinpoche that Riwo Sangcho is one of the most powerful practices for benefiting deceased.

Is there a additional RS liturgy for that purpose?

Thank you!
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

I read somewhere that Dudjom Rinpoche never missed a day of doing sang.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Sangyum Kamala, Jadral Rinpoche's Consort, often adds in sur. In that case, She sometimes writes the name of any recently deceased and burns that along with the offerings. Typically She adds Dudjom Lingpa's Short Troma Sur Chod.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
rai

Post by rai »

rai wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:07 pm I read a comment by HH Dudjom Rinpoche that Riwo Sangcho is one of the most powerful practices for benefiting deceased.

Is there a additional RS liturgy for that purpose?

Thank you!
pemachophel wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:45 pm Sangyum Kamala, Jadral Rinpoche's Consort, often adds in sur. In that case, She sometimes writes the name of any recently deceased and burns that along with the offerings. Typically She adds Dudjom Lingpa's Short Troma Sur Chod.
sorry for a naive question but if the "Riwo Sangcho incense" contains some grains, fruits, dairy etc would that substitute for Sur? (without adding any extra Sur liturgy)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I'm just telling you what Sangyum Kamala does. She always puts fresh ingredients on the now very died-down fire along with the names of deceased.

Lhatsun Namkahi Jigme, the original revealer of Riwo Sangchod, also revealed a Yang-gug/wealth summoning practice and Dra-la offering. These are often added to Riwo Sangchod.

Of course, as Heart said, many different practices can be incorporated into Riwo Sangchod after the dog-pa and before the dedication and tashis. These can include a number of other sangs, lung-ta, Protectors' prayers, such as Damchen Chitor, serkeym, and entrustment prayers. When I used to do this with Sangyum Kamala, we would spend a couple of hours each morning.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Kilaja

Post by Kilaja »

What are the benefits of doing this practice?
heart

Post by heart »

Kilaja wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:35 pm What are the benefits of doing this practice?
There so many benefits of doing this practice. I would suggest that you read the texts linked above and then do it every day for some months and you will discover it by yourself.
~Kurt Vonnegut

rai

Post by rai »

Kilaja wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:35 pm What are the benefits of doing this practice?
I like this short explanation from A Guide to the Practice of Sang by Dodrupchen Jigme Tenpe Nyima:
https://www.lotsawahouse.org/tibetan-ma ... g-practice

"Now, the topic of discussion is as follows: it is by making illusory offerings through illusory practice that we can complete the gathering of illusory accumulations. Through this cause—namely the accumulation of merit—we can gain the result, which is the perfection of wisdom. Four such methods which involve very little difficulty and yet are exceptionally meaningful and beneficial are the offerings of sang, water tormas, sur and one’s own body. The individual who practises these regularly and diligently will gather the accumulations, purify the obscurations, and, in particular, will pacify any obstacles and factors that prevent the accomplishment of the Dharma and awakening in the present lifetime, becoming free of them like the sun emerging from the clouds. Since they also support our progress along the path leading to the supreme attainment of Dzogpachenpo, it makes sense for us to put our energy into practising them."

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”