I follow SGI

AppearanceVoid

I follow SGI

Post by AppearanceVoid »

Hi,

My first spiritual friend belonged to the SGI. He's very much in my thoughts. He taught me the chant and other things. He realized awakening through the practice. He taught me to just look at what I had and chant. My question is; can you attain awakening through just looking and meditating on a chapter of the sutra. Thanx....Svaha
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: I follow SGI

Post by narhwal90 »

What does the sutra say about that?
jayislost

Re: I follow SGI

Post by jayislost »

Though the focus on the Lotus Sutra can seem simplistic, there are passages within the sutra itself regarding the principle of "substituting faith for wisdom".

The “Simile and Parable” (third) chapter of the sutra states: “Even you, Shāriputra, in the case of this sutra were able to gain entrance through faith alone. How much more so, then, the other voice-hearers. Those other voice-hearers—it is because they have faith in the Buddha’s words that they can comply with this sutra, not because of any wisdom of their own.”

The path that the LS teaches is one of continually challenging ourselves too see all others as Buddha's, and to follow the path of Bodhisattva Never Disparaging. Nichiren's focus on the simple practice of chanting the title of the LS, allowed a simple way for people to form a connection with the Dharma, and to protect it and devote themselves to it through faith. By challenging our real world circumstances and learning to view our life from the world of Buddhahood we can use this faith as a path towards realization.

i hope this gives some ideas on how I personally view the practice of Nichiren Buddhism, and I practice with SGI. :namaste:

Return to “Soka Gakkai/SGI”