Astro(nomy/logy)

Viach

Astro(nomy/logy)

Post by Viach »

Does Kalachakra Tantra clearly distinguish astronomy from astrology? (or are both called the same term and, therefore, do not differ in any way?)
KathyLauren

Re: Astro(nomy/logy)

Post by KathyLauren »

The distinction is a modern one. I don't know much about Kalachakra, but it would greatly surprise me if there were a distinction in it.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Viach wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:58 pm Does Kalachakra Tantra clearly distinguish astronomy from astrology? (or are both called the same term and, therefore, do not differ in any way?)
The best book on this subject is Henning's Kalacakra and the Tibetan Calendar.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Viach wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:58 pm Does Kalachakra Tantra clearly distinguish astronomy from astrology? (or are both called the same term and, therefore, do not differ in any way?)
This question cannot be answered if you don't define what you mean by "clearly distinguish". Your assumption seems to be that if there exist 2 different terms for something they automatically point to different concepts, and if there's only 1 term for something it must automatically point to one single concept only. That's clearly not the case, otherwise we wouldn't clearly distinguish between synonymy, homonymy and polysemy.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I kind of remember some material that definitely referenced stars and their names, it might have been related to kalachakra. I’ll check my notes and see what it says.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Actually it’s astrology/cosmology from the fundamental tantra of manjushri.
36 houses on the celestial sphere - 12 are the most influential on the world, ruled by 27 stars.

It’s all around page 156 - 159 in Kongtrul’s
Myriad Worlds.

What’s interesting to me is that the stars named are all the same Arabic and Greek names we use today.

Would have been very nice if the stars named in the tantra could have been left original and crossed referenced with the Arabic and Greek names. That would have been cool.

Hmm
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Danny wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:26 am Actually it’s astrology/cosmology from the fundamental tantra of manjushri.
36 houses on the celestial sphere - 12 are the most influential on the world, ruled by 27 stars.

It’s all around page 156 - 159 in Kongtrul’s
Myriad Worlds.

What’s interesting to me is that the stars named are all the same Arabic and Greek names we use today.

Would have been very nice if the stars named in the tantra could have been left original and crossed referenced with the Arabic and Greek names. That would have been cool.

Hmm
Cornu’s book has these cross referenced.
fckw

Post by fckw »

Just found this dissertation:

"Buddhist Astrology and Astral Magic in the Tang Dynasty". Obviously, this is not "Tibetan Buddhism" in a strict sense, but I think relevant here nevertheless.
In this context it is noteworthy that the Tang Dynasty apparently existed several centuries before the Kalachakra Tantra gained popularity.
nyonchung

Post by nyonchung »

fckw wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:16 pm Just found this dissertation:

"Buddhist Astrology and Astral Magic in the Tang Dynasty". Obviously, this is not "Tibetan Buddhism" in a strict sense, but I think relevant here nevertheless.
In this context it is noteworthy that the Tang Dynasty apparently existed several centuries before the Kalachakra Tantra gained popularity.
there are a lot of prcatices concerned with stars in Chinese Buddhist traditions (and non-buddhist) some of Indian origin

Malcolm mentioned Edward Henning's book, his site is still accessible:
http://www.kalacakra.org/
see specially
http://www.kalacakra.org/calendar/kc_model.htm
http://www.kalacakra.org/phyinang/golconf.htm
and specially this last one:
http://www.kalacakra.org/calendar/!astrol.htm
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

nyonchung wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:02 am ...and specially this last one:
http://www.kalacakra.org/calendar/!astrol.htm
:reading:

:good:

:namaste:
Kim
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Kotyk's work is an eye-opener.
ismael

Post by ismael »

Brihat Nakshatra by Pandit Sanjay Rath is the best source for understanding the original meaning of the Nakshatra Mandala in India.

Return to “Jonang”