Fuji Taiseki-ji Kenshōkai

Lotomístico

Fuji Taiseki-ji Kenshōkai

Post by Lotomístico »

Hi, good day to all. Just wondering if anyone could give me any information about Fuji Taiseki-ji Kenshōkai (often referred to simply as Kenshōkai.) I'd be especially interested to hear from Nichiren Shoshu members or followers, but would be glad to hear from anyone with something to share. Does anyone have personal experience with them? I read the Wikipedia article in English, the Japanese Wikipedia article is much more extensive, but I can't read Japanese. They also have a website, but again it is in Japanese only, which I can't read.
What is their current relationship with Nichiren Shoshu, if any, officially or unoficially? How are their beliefs viewed by Nichiren Shoshu, are they mostly in agreement? What are major differences?
I know I asked many different things, please answer what you know, I'm very keen to know and learn more about this organization. Thank you to all in advance for your responses
One should become the master of one’s mind rather than let one’s mind master oneself.
illarraza

Re: Fuji Taiseki-ji Kenshōkai

Post by illarraza »

Lotomístico wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:30 pm Hi, good day to all. Just wondering if anyone could give me any information about Fuji Taiseki-ji Kenshōkai (often referred to simply as Kenshōkai.) I'd be especially interested to hear from Nichiren Shoshu members or followers, but would be glad to hear from anyone with something to share. Does anyone have personal experience with them? I read the Wikipedia article in English, the Japanese Wikipedia article is much more extensive, but I can't read Japanese. They also have a website, but again it is in Japanese only, which I can't read.
What is their current relationship with Nichiren Shoshu, if any, officially or unoficially? How are their beliefs viewed by Nichiren Shoshu, are they mostly in agreement? What are major differences?
I know I asked many different things, please answer what you know, I'm very keen to know and learn more about this organization. Thank you to all in advance for your responses
Kenshokai worships the DaiGohonzon, they have a lay Sensei, not unlike Daisaku Ikeda, Shōei Asai, only more militant. They have 1,300,000 million members. They never forgave the Nichiren Shoshu (Nittatsu Shonin) for associating with Soka Gakkai, particularly when they designated the Sho Hondo as Kaidan (The Third Great Secret Law, High Sanctuary of the Nation, or National Ordination platform), not even when High Priest Nikken destroyed it.They used to have videos on You Tube of their large meetings and several of them with Kenshokai fist fighting with the Soka Gakkai in the streets. They still utilize forceful conversions and you can find online arrests for kidnapping of those who have refused to join. Their youth activities are of marching youth to militaristic songs and even marshal arts training. When their Sensei speaks the YMD raise their fists in salute and all shout HAI (YES)! They appear to worship their Sensei. The youth leaders also lead a kind of fan dance songs, like when SGI sings, Whenever the Lion Raises his Voice, fisted arms down and up, across and down and up, VERY vigorously (with always the tallest and most handsome YMD). I used to have many of their videos on my blog but now, most are "Unavailable".

Here are some Japanese videos of Kenshokai:

The first is a show of their militant militaristic youth activities...please go to 9:56https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3egUnOfxlA

Here are some showing videos showing the Kenshokai members reverence for Sensei Asai:

Here are two with Kenshokai blaming both for the Sho Hondo debacle and the disasters befalling Japan, particularly the Kyoto earthquake on SGI and the Nichiren Shoshu:

Last edited by illarraza on Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Here is a Kenshokai sect performance that rivals the performance of any sect, particularly the Taiku and drumming and opera:

illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Kenshokai fan dance:

Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

illarraza wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:01 am
Lotomístico wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:30 pm Hi, good day to all. Just wondering if anyone could give me any information about Fuji Taiseki-ji Kenshōkai (often referred to simply as Kenshōkai.) I'd be especially interested to hear from Nichiren Shoshu members or followers, but would be glad to hear from anyone with something to share. Does anyone have personal experience with them? I read the Wikipedia article in English, the Japanese Wikipedia article is much more extensive, but I can't read Japanese. They also have a website, but again it is in Japanese only, which I can't read.
Kenshokai worships the DaiGohonzon, they have a lay Sensei, not unlike Daisaku Ikeda, Shōei Asai, only more militant. They have 1,300,000 million members. They never forgave the Nichiren Shoshu (Nittatsu Shonin) for associating with Soka Gakkai, particularly when they designated the Sho Hondo as Kaidan (The Third Great Secret Law, High Sanctuary of the Nation, or National Ordination platform), not even when High Priest Nikken destroyed it.They used to have videos on You Tube of their large meetings and several of them with Kenshokai fist fighting with the Soka Gakkai in the streets. They still utilize forceful conversions and you can find online arrests for kidnapping of those who have refused to join. Their youth activities are of marching youth to militaristic songs and even marshal arts training. When their Sensei speaks the YMD raise their fists in salute and all shout HAI (YES)! They appear to worship their Sensei. The youth leaders also lead a kind of fan dance songs, like when SGI sings, Whenever the Lion Raises his Voice, fisted arms down and up, across and down and up, VERY vigorously (with always the tallest and most handsome YMD). I used to have many of their videos on my blog but now, most are "Unavailable".

Here are some Japanese videos of Kenshokai:

The first is a show of their militant militaristic youth activities...please go to 9:56https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3egUnOfxlA

Here are some showing videos showing the Kenshokai members reverence for Sensei Asai:

Here are two with Kenshokai blaming both for the Sho Hondo debacle and the disasters befalling Japan, particularly the Kyoto earthquake on SGI and the Nichiren Shoshu:

Muy interesante, gracias
Last edited by Lotomístico on Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One should become the master of one’s mind rather than let one’s mind master oneself.
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

Really digging the dancing and drumming, seems like a festive group!
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

Lotomístico wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:56 pm Really digging the dancing and drumming, seems like a festive group!
Something I wonder, in Nichiren Shoshu do they dance and drum like this? What about other Nichiren groups?
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

In the US, SGI does, and back when it was Nichiren Shoshu America.
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:27 am In the US, SGI does, and back when it was Nichiren Shoshu America.
So Soka Gakkai got that from Nichiren Shoshu, but then discontinued after the separation? Or do they still do this? If not, any reason that they didn't continúe the práctice that you're aware of?
Guessing, then, that Nichiren Shoshu still does, but maybe one of our Nichiren Shoshu forum members could enlighten us as to the current práctice.
I love festivities and fiestas, currently living in Latín America. Great that people can have a joyful celebration, especially of their faith, it seems wonderful!
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

SGI USA formed from Nichiren Shoshu America after the schism, but the drumming/dancing/performances etc were all inherited from earlier days in Japan- part of the currency of the lay practice. They are done at various scales; smaller exhibitions in the more local meetings, much fancier and extensive performances in the large regional gatherings. In the back room in my local SGI center there is a set of DIY taiko drums made of automobile tires- used ages ago, apparently they worked kind of OK.

The celebration aspect of it is certainly a different take on practice, it does engage people and get them excited which is helpful. When I started in the old NSA (mid '80's), all the kids & young people were strongly encouraged to engage with those groups- and often parents pushing their kids to get involved; everybody got an instrument to play, something to do, as part of the practices for the performances. Now 30+yrs later a number of them are still around and sometimes we remember a bit about the various campaigns. It is an effective method of forming and strengthening the sangha, even admitting the downsides of the methods.

I never fit in really well in the performance space but gravitated towards staffing the community center desk, the young men's division's job; we would unlock the place, set up rooms, take and run messages, keeping an eye on the parking lot during the evening meetings, helping with the traffic and so on; basically facilitate everything and run the building for the day; another method to serve. At one point I was scheduling a group of 40 or so for our area's primary community center, including overnight security sleep-overs. It was interesting as training, to this day I still take messages and put bin liners in trashcans the same way I was taught back then. The women's division taught us how to clean and prep bathrooms, vacuum the floors and so on; and they also cooked the best chili and chicken curry on earth for us to eat on the overnight shifts.

That kind of staffing is still seen to a degree today; the organization changed a lot after the schism, but the community center desks are still staffed by men/young men's division, but no overnights; and the cadence and intensity of the campaigns is vastly reduced from the old days. Probably some did and do not like that OTOH it permits the involved SGI member to have a life at home and outside the organization which was a BIG problem back in the day.

I don't know what Nichiren Shoshu lay practice looks like today, I hope they still have those kinds of practices. As annoying as they sometimes were, it was also a great adventure.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Lotomístico wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:06 am
narhwal90 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:27 am In the US, SGI does, and back when it was Nichiren Shoshu America.
So Soka Gakkai got that from Nichiren Shoshu, but then discontinued after the separation? Or do they still do this? If not, any reason that they didn't continúe the práctice that you're aware of?
Guessing, then, that Nichiren Shoshu still does, but maybe one of our Nichiren Shoshu forum members could enlighten us as to the current práctice.
I love festivities and fiestas, currently living in Latín America. Great that people can have a joyful celebration, especially of their faith, it seems wonderful!
That Culture Festival stuff started with Soka Gakkai, except they did it with joy.

Check out around the 45 minute mark.

If you're interested in the origin of this kind of stuff, check out the Human Revolution and New Human Revolution books. It started in the Toda era and reached its high point in the 1980s.

Nichiren Shoshu did not start that stuff. They have no such imagination.

These days, Soka Gakkai mellowed. Japan mellowed. Soka Gakkai is part of the ruling coalition in power in Japan through their political party, Komeito. They run commercials that project an image of kindness. They're kind of like Japanese Mormons. Other than maybe they try to convert you, though not the hard sell like they did in the old days, and have meetings at their houses from time to time, they're the kinds of people you don't mind as your neighbors.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:11 pm SGI USA formed from Nichiren Shoshu America after the schism, but the drumming/dancing/performances etc were all inherited from earlier days in Japan- part of the currency of the lay practice. They are done at various scales; smaller exhibitions in the more local meetings, much fancier and extensive performances in the large regional gatherings. In the back room in my local SGI center there is a set of DIY taiko drums made of automobile tires- used ages ago, apparently they worked kind of OK.

The celebration aspect of it is certainly a different take on practice, it does engage people and get them excited which is helpful. When I started in the old NSA (mid '80's), all the kids & young people were strongly encouraged to engage with those groups- and often parents pushing their kids to get involved; everybody got an instrument to play, something to do, as part of the practices for the performances. Now 30+yrs later a number of them are still around and sometimes we remember a bit about the various campaigns. It is an effective method of forming and strengthening the sangha, even admitting the downsides of the methods.

I never fit in really well in the performance space but gravitated towards staffing the community center desk, the young men's division's job; we would unlock the place, set up rooms, take and run messages, keeping an eye on the parking lot during the evening meetings, helping with the traffic and so on; basically facilitate everything and run the building for the day; another method to serve. At one point I was scheduling a group of 40 or so for our area's primary community center, including overnight security sleep-overs. It was interesting as training, to this day I still take messages and put bin liners in trashcans the same way I was taught back then. The women's division taught us how to clean and prep bathrooms, vacuum the floors and so on; and they also cooked the best chili and chicken curry on earth for us to eat on the overnight shifts.

That kind of staffing is still seen to a degree today; the organization changed a lot after the schism, but the community center desks are still staffed by men/young men's division, but no overnights; and the cadence and intensity of the campaigns is vastly reduced from the old days. Probably some did and do not like that OTOH it permits the involved SGI member to have a life at home and outside the organization which was a BIG problem back in the day.

I don't know what Nichiren Shoshu lay practice looks like today, I hope they still have those kinds of practices. As annoying as they sometimes were, it was also a great adventure.
Interesting experiences for sure, thank you
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:19 am
Lotomístico wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:06 am
That Culture Festival stuff started with Soka Gakkai, except they did it with joy.

Check out around the 45 minute mark.

If you're interested in the origin of this kind of stuff, check out the Human Revolution and New Human Revolution books. It started in the Toda era and reached its high point in the 1980s.

Nichiren Shoshu did not start that stuff. They have no such imagination.

These days, Soka Gakkai mellowed. Japan mellowed. Soka Gakkai is part of the ruling coalition in power in Japan through their political party, Komeito. They run commercials that project an image of kindness. They're kind of like Japanese Mormons. Other than maybe they try to convert you, though not the hard sell like they did in the old days, and have meetings at their houses from time to time, they're the kinds of people you don't mind as your neighbors.
So apparently Kenshōkai Is still very active with such activities, as well as strong propagation efforts.
True, I've never had a Nichiren Shoshu member invite me to a drum and dance festival, or really anything, maybe they're not so big into sharing their faith with others, fairly low key as far as I can tell. Seem like nice folks, though.
I've been invited by Soka Gakkai members to their activities, but I never really took an interest in them.
Kenshōkai, though, intrigues me, to be so motivated in sharing their faith and activities, like they really want to share what they feel has been beneficial in their lives... perhaps they can be compared to old school NS/SG, and perhaps holding more closely to traditional Taisekiji/Fuji school teachings. Any thoughts?
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Possibly similar to SG in the old days- we did streetcorner campaigns, strongly encouraged friends and families to go to meetings. It was a strongly numbers-driven organization; you were always pushed to have visitors in meetings, bringing in new members; the more the better, as a sign of your commitment to practice. These numbers were reported upwards and announced in meetings so your district/chapter etc got the credit. A lot of people were reached and consequently practiced because of those methods, that said if SG was like that now I would have left long ago.

Post 1990, those kinds of efforts were reduced literally overnight, via instruction from then President Ikeda specifically. Now instead of yearly epic events, they are somewhat less frequent and more regional. The last big pre-covid campaigns I recall were the "50k Lions" events.

https://www.worldtribune.org/2018/06/mi ... s-justice/

Somewhat like the old days, down in the district meetings we got the repeated strong encouragement to bring out the teenagers and send them up. It was a youth-only event which is an interesting variation.

SG is still all about how the practice transforms one's life; it is the fundamental message, emphasis and focus in the meetings.
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

narhwal90 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 pm Possibly similar to SG in the old days- we did streetcorner campaigns, strongly encouraged friends and families to go to meetings. It was a strongly numbers-driven organization; you were always pushed to have visitors in meetings, bringing in new members; the more the better, as a sign of your commitment to practice. These numbers were reported upwards and announced in meetings so your district/chapter etc got the credit. A lot of people were reached and consequently practiced because of those methods, that said if SG was like that now I would have left long ago.

Post 1990, those kinds of efforts were reduced literally overnight, via instruction from then President Ikeda specifically. Now instead of yearly epic events, they are somewhat less frequent and more regional. The last big pre-covid campaigns I recall were the "50k Lions" events.

Somewhat like the old days, down in the district meetings we got the repeated strong encouragement to bring out the teenagers and send them up. It was a youth-only event which is an interesting variation.

SG is still all about how the practice transforms one's life; it is the fundamental message, emphasis and focus in the meetings.
Thank you for your response.
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Lotomístico wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:08 pm
narhwal90 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 pm Possibly similar to SG in the old days- we did streetcorner campaigns, strongly encouraged friends and families to go to meetings. It was a strongly numbers-driven organization; you were always pushed to have visitors in meetings, bringing in new members; the more the better, as a sign of your commitment to practice. These numbers were reported upwards and announced in meetings so your district/chapter etc got the credit. A lot of people were reached and consequently practiced because of those methods, that said if SG was like that now I would have left long ago.

I believe they stopped the festivals because the preparation often lasted months and took away from peoples' daily life. For instance, the SGI July, 4th 1996 bicentennial parade, the largest witnessed parade in New York City's existence, in which the youth divisions practiced hours a day and night a month or two before. For two weeks before I practically lived in and slept in the warehouse and in practice for the various events. I neglected my volunteer job in the Rusk Institute for Rehabilitative medicine and even almost got thrown out of the darn VOLUNTEER position.

Mark
illarraza

Post by illarraza »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:19 am That Culture Festival stuff started with Soka Gakkai, except they did it with joy.
As a participant in many festivals, including security in the hot sun for hours or guarding such things as an out of the way metal plaque of Toda at two in the morning, I wouldn't say joyful. Don't forget QQ, we were always encouraged to smile no matter how awful we felt. True joy? No.

M
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

:) Just recently back before covid closed everything I was joking with my old YWD chapter leader that he only calls me to do activities when the weather is really hot or really cold lol At various times I've slept in airports and in a sleeping bag on grass supporting SG activities, those leading-up practice sessions were unfailingly brutal. When we were on shift staffing the community center desk, the strict instructions included always being cheerful, get the phone by the 3rd ring, know where the leaders were, and be ready to hustle. True joy then, sometimes (often) not; a treasured memory now, yes.
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

narhwal90 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:43 pm :) Just recently back before covid closed everything I was joking with my old YWD chapter leader the other day that he only calls me to do activities when the weather is really hot or really cold lol At various times I've slept in airports and in a sleeping bag on grass supporting SG activities, those leading-up practice sessions were unfailingly brutal. When we were on shift staffing the community center desk, the strict instructions included always being cheerful, get the phone by the 3rd ring, know where the leaders were, and be ready to hustle. True joy then, sometimes (often) not; a treasured memory now, yes.
Perhaps this is the difference between something that transforms one's life so one can be better at whatever they want to, and something that consumes one's life to the exclusión of other activities. Healthy balance is the key methinks.
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

illarraza wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:51 pm
Lotomístico wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:08 pm

I believe they stopped the festivals because the preparation often lasted months and took away from peoples' daily life. For instance, the SGI July, 4th 1996 bicentennial parade, the largest witnessed parade in New York City's existence, in which the youth divisions practiced hours a day and night a month or two before. For two weeks before I practically lived in and slept in the warehouse and in practice for the various events. I neglected my volunteer job in the Rusk Institute for Rehabilitative medicine and even almost got thrown out of the darn VOLUNTEER position.

Mark
Hahahaha...reminds me of stories I've heard of people involved in high control religious groups (aka the "c" word, not saying SG is, just noting similarities) such as the Moonies or Scientology more than Buddhism, to each their own but perhaps glad I was never involved w/SG.

Return to “Soka Gakkai/SGI”