The Threefold Lotus Sutra: A Modern Translation for Contemporary Readers

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Javierfv1212

The Threefold Lotus Sutra: A Modern Translation for Contemporary Readers

Post by Javierfv1212 »

This is a new translation by Michio Shinozaki (Author, Preface), Brook A. Ziporyn (Author, Introduction), David C. Earhart

The book blurb says:
The Sutra of the Lotus Flower of the Wondrous Dharma, popularly known as the Lotus Sutra, has been one of the foremost scriptures of Mahayana Buddhism since the appearance of its superb translation into Chinese by Kumarajiva in 406 CE. Over the ensuing centuries, this centerpiece of the three sutras composing the Threefold Lotus Sutra has thoroughly suffused East Asian civilization. With interest in Buddhism increasing in Europe and America, in 1975 Kosei Publishing issued the first complete English translation of these three sutras as The Threefold Lotus Sutra, and because of constant demand, it has remained in print ever since. Now Kosei Publishing, responding to the needs of a truly globalized, twenty-first century Buddhism, has revitalized this acclaimed work with a newly translated publication, The Threefold Lotus Sutra: A Modern Translation for Contemporary Readers. This is the first English version of this religious classic tailored to the essential Buddhist practice of daily sutra recitation. In addition to providing an accurate translation faithful to the original text and following standard definitions of key Buddhist terminology, this innovative Threefold Lotus Sutra breaks new ground by employing more inclusive language to reflect present-day concepts of equality and human dignity in an increasingly diversified world.
Apart from this, I have not found any reviews of this version or discussion on its quality. There are reviews on Amazon, but one never knows about these.

Has anyone looked at it? What's it like? Is it worth it/more readable or more 'chantable' than other versions?
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
Malcolm

Re: The Threefold Lotus Sutra: A Modern Translation for Contemporary Readers

Post by Malcolm »

Javierfv1212 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:11 pm This is a new translation by Michio Shinozaki (Author, Preface), Brook A. Ziporyn (Author, Introduction), David C. Earhart
It is not new at all. It is a reprint with a new introduction.

The best translation is the one over at 84000.co
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

Malcolm are you sure you're not confusing this with the 1989 Bunno Kato and Yoshiro Tamura translation which is also called "The Threefold Lotus Sutra"?

The blurb indicates that this is a new translation, if you are correct, then Kosei's marketing is being very deceptive in saying that "Now Kosei Publishing, responding to the needs of a truly globalized, twenty-first century Buddhism, has revitalized this acclaimed work with a newly translated publication, The Threefold Lotus Sutra: A Modern Translation for Contemporary Readers. This is the first English version of this religious classic tailored to the essential Buddhist practice of daily sutra recitation."

Have you seen an actual copy of this?

Regarding the one over at 84000, I don't doubt its good, but I'd like a physical copy, and if its made for recitation, that would be pretty cool. Also, since the Chinese version has been the most influential one historically (Tibetans hardly read the sutras anyways), I'd prefer a translation of that version.
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Javierfv1212 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:53 pm Malcolm are you sure you're not confusing this with the 1989 Bunno Kato and Yoshiro Tamura translation which is also called "The Threefold Lotus Sutra"?

The blurb indicates that this is a new translation, if you are correct, then Kosei's marketing is being very deceptive in saying that "Now Kosei Publishing, responding to the needs of a truly globalized, twenty-first century Buddhism, has revitalized this acclaimed work with a newly translated publication, The Threefold Lotus Sutra: A Modern Translation for Contemporary Readers. This is the first English version of this religious classic tailored to the essential Buddhist practice of daily sutra recitation."

Have you seen an actual copy of this?

Regarding the one over at 84000, I don't doubt its good, but I'd like a physical copy, and if its made for recitation, that would be pretty cool. Also, since the Chinese version has been the most influential one historically (Tibetans hardly read the sutras anyways), I'd prefer a translation of that version.
My error, this is a revision of the original translation they published in 1975.
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

I got my hands on a copy of it. It seems to be a major overhaul of the older version, but its still in some ways "based on it". I haven't had time to compare it closely to see just how different it is, but a lot has been changed according to the introduction.
— Padmasambhava

genkaku.linrx

Post by genkaku.linrx »

Javierfv1212 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:53 pm Malcolm are you sure you're not confusing this with the 1989 Bunno Kato and Yoshiro Tamura translation which is also called "The Threefold Lotus Sutra"?
I can't tell the difference between one translation from another, but I own the Bunno Kato edition and I really love it. It is a good companion of mine and I love to read it once in a while.
:namaste:

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”