Buddhism and the question of "cultural appropriation"

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
FiveSkandhas

Buddhism and the question of "cultural appropriation"

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Greetings Dharma brothers and sisters.

As you know we live in politically sensitive times. Old assumptions are being upended, controversies about "cancel culture" abound.

When I was a young man growing up, it was seen as a positive thing to take an interest in another culture. "Cross cultural pollination" and "cultural hybrid vigor" were virtues to aspire to.

But now there is increased concern and sensitivity about the issue of "cultural appropriation." For example, I recently read of the case of two caucasian fourth-graders who were given traditional African shirts as presents by an African mentor they were learning from. However, the response of the school they were attending was to criticize both the children and the African adult who had given the gifts of "cultural appropriation."

Regardless of what you think of this story -- and it's not really one I feel is relevant to discus further on a Buddhist message board -- it does illustrate changing perceptions of culture.

So...given such a socio-political climate, although it has not happened to me yet, I expect at some point the question of how Western Buddhists engage with traditional Asian cultures in their practice could come up.

The Dharma has been a part of my life for over thirty years. Although I am a caucasian, I have lived in Asia for the majority of my life. My formal Buddhist practice takes place at a temple founded in the 1500s that is very much immersed in the aesthetics of traditional Japan, from robes and bells to Sutra copying and "para-Buddhist" activities like traditional Way of Tea aesthetics and ceremonial protocol.

In all these decades, I have never, even slightly, been made to feel that the "cultural trappings" surrounding core Buddhist practice are in any way "off limits" to me because of my race. I have been treated with the utmost hospitality, respect, and graciousness by the wonderful teachers and fellow students I have been privileged to know.

Nor do I feel I have anything to apologize for.

I expect, however, the day is coming when somebody, somewhere, in some context, calls into question the relationship I have with traditional Asian aesthetics. It's an encounter I am not looking forward to, and perhaps one that will never actually happen. But as noted, ideas about cross-cultural matters appear to be rapidly changing in certain circles.

The practice of Buddhism itself, I hope we can all agree, should be beyond reproach for all sentient beings to engage in. Was it cultural appropriation when Buddhism moved to China from India, or from Korea to Japan? Are Asian Christians (of whom there are millions) "appropriating westernism?" I would hope to all reasonable observers concerned, the fact that World Religions are meant by their very nature to propagate across all cultural boundaries is not ever something that is at issue.

But the "cultural trappings" and aesthetics that surround religion may find themselves under sharper scrutiny in the days ahead.

To me, immersion in traditional Asian aesthetics is something that, when done properly, acts to support religion. People wear their obis in a certain way when meditating because it is intimately linked to posture, breath, and other facets of Zazen. But even this contention is not beyond question: I have heard the opinion expressed that westerners should meditate in Western clothes. I don't agree with it, but it is something on the table already.

I want to open this thread to discuss what is admittedly a sensitive topic, to probe its contours and nuances. I do so in a spirit of respect for all who are interested in joining this conversation.

:anjali:
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Buddhism and the question of "cultural appropriation"

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

To be frank, the only people who complain of cultural appropriation with Buddhism are people who do not know it well.

First and foremost, the historical Buddha was, if anything, a man well on the margins of the mainstream culture of his time, certainly not any kind of "cultural representative" for India.

Given the the cultures that Buddhism has already been through, whose approval would we even ask? Indian people? Who is the original "owner"? Crap, Buddhism died there a long time ago obviously. Should I ask Navayana people...lol.

I once had my younger cousin bring this up to me, the idea that I should be checking with Indian people and Tibetans about how I practiced Buddhism. I replied that I already talked to Tibetans about it because I have some teachers who are Tibetan, that they found the idea of cultural appropriation around this stuff weird, and that there is no one left in India to "ask permission" about Buddhism because there is no extant Indian Buddhism.

It turns out she knew none of the history at all. The mind kind of boggles that it was brought up.

On the other side, I've known plenty of people who try to dress like a Tibetan, want to wear their Rakusu to dinner, etc. That is not my scene, but I think for some people it serves a legitimate spiritual purpose. in Zen for instance, a lot of this sort of "trapping" is in fact integral practice. Some criticize all such things as shallow, but we don't know the Karma of others, nor the significance of such things, outside of what works for us.

I expect, however, the day is coming when somebody, somewhere, in some context, calls into question the relationship I have with traditional Asian aesthetics. It's an encounter I am not looking forward to, and perhaps one that will never actually happen. But as noted, ideas about cross-cultural matters appear to be rapidly changing in certain circles.
Your spiritual practice is none of their business, unless you want to make it that. Personally, I have always approached it like that. Just as I don't believe in proselytizing, I also am not going to listen to someone who has no idea what they are talking about lecture me on Buddhism. That was what I ran into with my cousin, that is only time I've run into it. I chock it up top her age and apparently almost total historical ignorance of Buddhism.

In other words:

Get of my Buddhist lawn

I don't take crap from young whippersnappers

That is my approach;)
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Budai

Post by Budai »

I just want to naturally know Tibetan. The fact that I don’t is unfair. Something is being unfair to me where I just cannot speak it fluently out of thin air.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Könchok Chödrak wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:51 am I just want to naturally know Tibetan. The fact that I don’t is unfair. Something is being unfair to me where I just cannot speak it fluently out of thin air.
:tantrum:
KeithA

Post by KeithA »

Hi FiveSkandhas,

I am surprised this topic didn't get more play.

I wear Korean traditional long robes as part of my practice. This was something that our founder Seung Sahn Dae Seon Sa Nim passed on to us Americans, a tradition which can be found worldwide now. He was an Asian person. His decision to have us wear long robes did not sit well with the Korean folks.

Now, if we (Kwan Um Zen) decided to stop wearing robes, I could honestly care less. But here we are, because it's what he told us to do.

So, I don't feel there is appropriation involved. Dae Seon Sa Nim taught us a framework of practice, and there hasn't been any reason to change it.

_/|\_
Keith
When walking, standing, sitting, lying down, speaking,
being silent, moving, being still.
At all times, in all places, without interruption - what is this?
One mind is infinite kalpas.

New Haven Zen Center
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

To lay a charge of cultural appropriation in a Buddhist context, one must first deny rebirth and the karmic habits that have drawn us to Buddhism in the first place. From a Buddhist POV, it is not cultural appropriation because I am not a Westerner--- this is just my current form, and I have likely spent many forms as Tibetan, Chinese, etc. To impose a Western self on me in this fashion is wrong. Ironically, this is actually a denial of the culture that one is claiming to protect.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Matt J wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:40 am To lay a charge of cultural appropriation in a Buddhist context, one must first deny rebirth and the karmic habits that have drawn us to Buddhism in the first place. From a Buddhist POV, it is not cultural appropriation because I am not a Westerner--- this is just my current form, and I have likely spent many forms as Tibetan, Chinese, etc. To impose a Western self on me in this fashion is wrong. Ironically, this is actually a denial of the culture that one is claiming to protect.
:good:
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

The original issue of cultural appropriation was really about misappropriation. For example, the local zoo in my area (it’s a very large zoo) once had a string of Tibetan Prayer flags serving as the “sign” for one of their restaurants. On each flag was written one letter, spelling out the word:
B A R B E C U E

(I politely explained to them how everything about this was wrong, and they removed the prayer flags. I don’t know what happened to them. Likewise, members of the local Vietnamese community explained to them why it was inappropriate to have a large Buddha head lying on the ground as part of a simulation of ‘ruins’ in an are of the zoo focused on animals of Southeast Asia, and that was soon fixed).

Using other-cultural elements purely for their decorative or “exotic” qualities, with absolutely no appreciation for what they really are is a repugnant carry-over from the days of colonial conquest. But to preserve the elements of the buddhist tradition one follows, whether in clothing, language, iconography or whatever, is totally different.

Today, sharing the unique cultural aspects of our human family is misunderstood as cultural appropriation. But I really think this too will pass. Ultimately, it has to, because the world’s people have to live together.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”