Books / Publications / Translations - Where to Find or Buy?

Recommend, review and discuss dharma books here.
Svalaksana

Books / Publications / Translations - Where to Find or Buy?

Post by Svalaksana »

This thread aims to help users acquire and direct to Buddhist themed publications for study and information, by providing links and feedback on book shops, sites, universities and temples, in an attempt to avoid having many individual, scattered threads of similar nature or dealing with closely related subjects.

Feel free to post if you're looking for:

- A specific book or publication you're having trouble finding or shipping to your country.
- A translation of a particular work, on the internet, in academia or in a publication.
- A publication dealing with some subject, that will help you get a thorough understanding of the matter.
- Information regarding upcoming publications and translations.
- Reliable alternatives to the usual Barnes & Noble, Amazon Books, Waterstones, Blackwell's, FNAC, eBay, Book Depository, etc.
Last edited by Svalaksana on Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking but not seeing - that's my eye.
Thinking but not minding - that's my mind.
Speaking but not expressing - that's my tongue.
Traveling but not going - that's my path.
Svalaksana

Re: Books / Publications / Translations - Where to Find or Buy?

Post by Svalaksana »

As a Southern European, I was lucky to find BookDepository some time ago, which provided me with most of my Buddhist related books, many of which are North-American publications which haven't been translated to my native language and would be incredibly hard and expensive to get without free shipping, arriving most of the time in almost perfect condition.

Unfortunately, many books I'd like to get are out of stock and taken to be out of print there, and I'm struggling to find a competitive and reliable alternative, as I had disappointing experiences in both Amazon and eBay. I recently found out about this website, Exotic India(https://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/Buddhist/), which packs a neat catalogue of old and somewhat rare Buddhist books with decent prizes, but the customer feedback I've seen on the internet isn't particularly convincing.

Has anyone bought anything from Exotic India and do you recommend it? Also, does anyone know of European alternatives within these parameters of quality, selection and price, for book ordering?
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

I've purchased from Exotic India. I can't say I was overwhelmed with the experience, but it wasn't awful either. My orders shipped quickly, but delivery did take a while and tracking was iffy. That was about what I expected however, so it's not a deal breaker to me.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Good idea for this thread.

I use, as much as possible, Alibris.co.uk (or Alibris.com). It is not owned by Amazon (like Abebooks, Goodreads, etc.) which is something that's important to me. 99% of the sellers ship super super-fast. I don't know what will happen with shipping books from the UK to southern Europe come January, but for now it's a great option. A few times I found a cost-savings by ordering the title from the US website, with a set shipping cost to EU at a lower price than ordering from the UK site. This is probably more true today because of the weak dollar.

Oh, the best thing about Alibris is their bookfetch feature (It's hard to find on their website, use this link: https://www.alibris.com/bookfetch ). You input the title or author, or my preference, the ISBN and the price range you'd like and bam, when someone lists the book you're notified via email. I've picked up several hard-to-find texts this way.

Sometimes, for odd reasons, ebay will have a title I want that isn't listed elsewhere.

Another great resource is worldcat.org The World Catalogue of Libraries. At times the book can be found in a nearby University Library and in some locations you can request an inter-library loan, so no purchase required. The website typically also provides links for purchasing the book (far right of the screen). Not all libraries show up in the catalogue though, many where I live are absent even though I know they have the text.

Lastly, I've ordered multiple times from Indian booksellers, typically via Alibris listings but I believe I used the exotic india website once. My experience is what you'd expect. Typically the book arrives on time but more than once I've received a follow-up email saying they need more for shipping. In my experience the product quality is not particularly high. I don't expect the texts I have from those publishers to last more than my lifetime, some are already falling apart after just a year or two.
Daniel Aitken

Post by Daniel Aitken »

Join me tonight for a Wisdom Dharma Chat with Karl Brunnhozl about his new book Sounds of Innate Freedom: The Indian Texts of Mahamudra, Volume 5.

It is free to attend the zoom call, but you have to register here: https://wisdomexperience.org/wisdom-art ... rma-chats/

More info...

Join us and our special guest Karl Brunnhölzl on Wednesday, December 9 at 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time for a new episode of Wisdom Dharma Chats, a live video version of the Wisdom Podcast with a Q&A session.

Karl Brunnhölzl, MD, PhD, was originally trained as a physician. He received his systematic training in Tibetan language and Buddhist philosophy and practice at the Marpa Institute for Translators, founded by Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso Rinpoche, as well as the Nitartha Institute, founded by Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche. Since 1989 he has been a translator and interpreter of Tibetan and English. Karl Brunnhölzl is a senior teacher and translator in the Nalandabodhi community of Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche, as well as at Nitartha Institute. Living in Seattle, he is the author and translator of numerous texts, including most recently A Lullaby to Awaken the Heart (2018) and Luminous Melodies: Essential Dohās of Indian Mahāmudrā (2019). Currently, he is working on the Seventh Karmapa’s compilation of Indian Mahāmudrā works.

- Daniel
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Thanks for the input Jake and Redfaery, I'll give it a proper thought concerning Exotic India probably at a later time. Meanwhile, I'll check some alternatives.
jake wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:46 pm Oh, the best thing about Alibris is their bookfetch feature (It's hard to find on their website, use this link: https://www.alibris.com/bookfetch ). You input the title or author, or my preference, the ISBN and the price range you'd like and bam, when someone lists the book you're notified via email. I've picked up several hard-to-find texts this way.
This is an outstanding feature Jake, thanks a lot. I'll give it a try for sure! I had come across Alibris but haven't really tried it yet. Your positive feedback convinced me.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Internet archive is a good place you can borrow for an hour or two weeks and some books you can download.
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

I try to buy used books as often as I can. I'm fortunate to live in an area with several good used bookstores, but for books that I can't find locally, I usually buy through https://www.thriftbooks.com/. Like alibris, not owned by Amazon and, from what I've been able tell, treats its workers at least marginally better than Amazon does.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

I am particularly interested in online buddhist bookstores that offer hard to find or out of print titles and at the same time offer excellent service in terms of proper packaging.

With that in mind I would like to recommend Garuda Books (Switzerland): https://shop.garudabooks.ch/
They ship parcels with EU destinations from Germany so their EU customers won't have to pay import duties.

Boeddha Boeken (Netherlands), https://www.buddhabooks.eu/, also helped me find an out of print title at a good price and always use proper packaging.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

I've been looking for Tsongkhapa's Ocean of Eloquence. From what I've gathered, there's an almost 30 year old translation by Gareth Sparham in the SUNY Buddhist Series, but I could only find it in the USA. Does anyone know of a more recent translation? Is this the same text as "The Essence of Eloquence"?

If so, does anyone know of a more "accessible" version than "Tsong Khapa's Speech of Gold in the Essence of True Eloquence : Reason and Enlightenment in the Central Philosophy of Tibet", a paperback which albeit containing the full text, costs more than 60€?

Also, is there a translation of the Ratnachudaparipriccha Sutra, and where is one to find it?
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Darn it, the question concerning the Ratnachudaparipriccha Sutra seems to be a thread killer, it's the second time now. I'll have to drop it and wait for a translation some other time I guess.

On another subject, are there any English publications of the Tathagatagarbha Sutra and the Golden Light Sutra?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Some bookstores are affiliated with, and support Buddhist organizations. I have a limited budget and when it comes to books I usually search for used stuff. But don’t buy a lot of Dharma books these days. When I do, I like to help support Buddhist centers, even though new books cost a little more.

This one is located In the United States, and while mainly focused on Tibetan Buddhism, they carry a wide selection of Mahayana material in general, including specific texts and what might be considered more complex reading. Also, practice materials and other items. Good prices, and they are very helpful and ship quickly.

https://www.namsebangdzo.com/
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

My curiosity was picqued recently, concerning Zen master Bankei. I would like to get acquainted with his thought and words and I noticed there are currently two books available about him:

ImageImage

Anyone here read both and knows the differences in order to recommend one before the other?
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

The Waddell is a somewhat more felicitous translation, the Haskel includes more material (e.g., some of Bankei's poems and calligraphy). It's hard to say whether one is "better" than the other.
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Genjo Conan wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:01 pm The Waddell is a somewhat more felicitous translation, the Haskel includes more material (e.g., some of Bankei's poems and calligraphy). It's hard to say whether one is "better" than the other.
Thanks for the info Genjo Conan. In regard to the prose material then, do both refer to the same texts, as in do both represent the entire surviving literary (prose) record of Master Bankei, or do they refer to different portions of the corpus? In other words, I'm tempted to acquire both, but for the sake of curiosity I was just wondering if that means I will be left with much duplicated content, disregarding for a second the obvious value of the different translations.
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

To the best of my knowledge, there are no English-language translations of the entire Record of Bankei. The Waddell translation includes a series of Dharma talks that he gave. IIRC the Haskel includes all of those same talks, plus some other material. So why not just get the Haskel? Well, because the Waddell is easier to read.
taleen

Post by taleen »

Is there a book that is a good study of King Asoka's pillar & rock statments?

Like the locations of each one with translations of the statments ?

Thank you
Svalaksana

Post by Svalaksana »

Genjo Conan wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:11 am To the best of my knowledge, there are no English-language translations of the entire Record of Bankei. The Waddell translation includes a series of Dharma talks that he gave. IIRC the Haskel includes all of those same talks, plus some other material. So why not just get the Haskel? Well, because the Waddell is easier to read.
Thanks for the help Genjo.

-

Anyone knows of and recommends translations of the Mahaparinirvana Sutra or Nirvana Sutra? I've heard of a BDK version of 4 volumes, of which only the first volume has been published, and a translation by Kosho Yamamoto edited by Tony Page, of which some concerns were voice in regard to its faithfulness?
GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover »

Would anybody happen to know which sutra Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche would be calling the "Sutra Predicting Maitreya"? Regarding it he says:
During the time of Buddha Shakyamuni, the bodhisattva Maitreya was present in this world as the bhikshu Ajita, or "Unconquerable." We use Ajita, or Mipham, as a synonym for Maitreya, but that was his name as a monk among the Buddha's retinue. He was part of Buddha Shakyamuni's retinue and it was known that the Buddha had predicted this monk would be the next Buddha, the fifth Buddha of this aeon.

Most of the Buddha's disciples found this difficult to believe. They said, "This monk shows no signs of imminent buddhahood or uncommon qualities. He is a monk, but he is an ordinary monk. He has not transcended the kleshas. How would it be possible for this person to become the fifth Buddha? While they were all thinking that, the Buddha was aware of their thoughts, and he gave the talk called the Sutra Predicting Maitreya. It is clear in this sutra that even though some people may not display evident signs or qualities, you cannot be sure they have not realized emptiness.
I am wondering if there's an English edition available
humble.student

Post by humble.student »

taleen wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:32 am Is there a book that is a good study of King Asoka's pillar & rock statments?

Like the locations of each one with translations of the statments ?
Here you go: https://archive.org/details/edictsofash ... keon_400_d

Return to “Book Reviews”