Hiroshima 75th anniversary

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Malcolm

Hiroshima 75th anniversary

Post by Malcolm »

Statement of His Holiness, The Dalai Lama:
8AF41A04-DDE9-4BEB-9398-8B24A2F14BC7.jpeg
8AF41A04-DDE9-4BEB-9398-8B24A2F14BC7.jpeg (128.73 KiB) Viewed 6765 times
Malcolm

Re: Hiroshima 75th anniversary

Post by Malcolm »

Pretty amazing that on a Buddhist site, after nearly eight hours, this gets no attention or mention.

Astonished.
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Malcolm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:12 pm Pretty amazing that on a Buddhist site, after nearly eight hours, this gets no attention or mention.

Astonished.
The thread title makes no mention of a statement by His Holiness. Furthermore it's been a busy, hot day.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Archie2009 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:37 pm Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Malcolm wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:12 pm Pretty amazing that on a Buddhist site, after nearly eight hours, this gets no attention or mention.

Astonished.
The thread title makes no mention of a statement by His Holiness. Furthermore it's been a busy, hot day.
I was surprised that no one seemed to notice or even bother to look. I should thought have the topic itself was sufficient.
Shotenzenjin

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Hiroshima and Nagasaki both were horrendous war crimes. and crimes against humanity.
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Shotenzenjin wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:54 pm Hiroshima and Nagasaki both were horrendous war crimes. and crimes against humanity.
Agree
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

Astonished.

it is a somber thread I wouldn't let lack of vocalization equate to lack of attention.
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

I was in Hiroshima during the 50th anniversary. Trying to make a retreat of it, practicing as much as I could, given everything that was going on. Mostly near Aioi bridge, in the Peace Park, near the dome.

I went there for some highly personal reasons.

Things happened there made it more acutely intimate, private. It wasn't just practicing at memorials. It was things seen, people met, conversations had with locals. Mostly children of hibakusha.

People respond to things differently. Sometimes that's silence. None of us were able to really talk about our experience. Or share it with our dharma teachers. Or friends, spouses.

Seems to be the way of the world that if we're not screaming our lungs out-- we are understood as not caring. Being indifferent. I think many people hold things in silence. Engage the world from there.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Well said, Cinnabar.
Redfaery

Post by Redfaery »

I was actually in Tokyo during the 70th anniversary, in 2015. I remember walking around the area of the Sumida River and feeling such heaviness and sorrow. Only later did I learn that the area had been fire bombed during the war, and many factory workers had died jumping into the river to escape the flames. Thinking about it still makes me emotional.
NAMO SARASWATI DEVI
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - GANDHI
I am a delicate feminine flower!!!!
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

War is so embedded in our culture that it's it's own philosophy really, heartbreaking. Speaking for myself, I've seen this statement from HHDL many times, it is not new in 2020, it's a consistent message of his as far back as I remember.

If anything it reminds me of the fact that America is perpetually involved in some sort of armed conflict, looking at the aftermath of Iraq and Afghanistan is surreal and sad. I have also worked with a number of vets with PTSD and gotten to see a glimpse of that side of it...again so heartbreaking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_war
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”