Abhidharmakosabhasyam Book Club

Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Abhidharmakosabhasyam Book Club

Post by Queequeg »

Thanks, Greg.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Right. I finished the author's introduction and took notes.

Since, I imagine, most people will skip the author's intro and go straight to Chapter One, should we do the general intro to the dhatu (p203-207) and the threefold classification? That is up to p228. This would include BB4: Ten sense spheres and ten elements and aggregates of material form? Get the Rupa element of the skandha out of the way.

I think four pages is really too little, as the pages are very small.

Unless we are all reading the author's intro too?

Yes, include Rupa.

No, just the general intro to the dhatu.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
GDPR_Anonymized001

Post by GDPR_Anonymized001 »

Are those page numbers for the Pruden or the Sangpo translation?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

jake wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:59 pm Are those page numbers for the Pruden or the Sangpo translation?
Sangpo. Basically it is the Pruden introduction and the first section of the first chapter on dhatu. The section on rupa skandha.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
GDPR_Anonymized001

Grigoris wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:11 pm
jake wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:59 pm Are those page numbers for the Pruden or the Sangpo translation?
Sangpo. Basically it is the Pruden introduction and the first section of the first chapter on dhatu. The section on rupa skandha.
Okay, I'm game for the revised milestone. Does everyone have the Sangpo translation? I'd be happy to read either version (but admit to finding the numerous font types a touch confusing in Sangpo).
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

queequeg wrote:...
PeterC wrote:...
zerwe wrote:...
What do you think about my recommendation people?

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:20 am
queequeg wrote:...
PeterC wrote:...
zerwe wrote:...
What do you think about my recommendation people?
In
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Sorry - I saw the page numbers in the 200s and got confused. Was meaning to look at the text (Pruden) and figure out what you were proposing. Now I understand. So Greg is proposing Chapter One - from the intro up through the Rupa Skandha section.

In Pruden that's pp. 55-66.

That seems reasonable. I'd hesitate to go more than that because I imagine there is a lot to unpack even in just those few pages.

Aside - that section of the text in Pruden is much shorter than the Sangpo translation. Makes me curious about all those notes in there. Feeling like this might have to be moved up the wishlist.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Queequeg wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:17 pm Aside - that section of the text in Pruden is much shorter than the Sangpo translation. Makes me curious about all those notes in there. Feeling like this might have to be moved up the wishlist.
Sangpo has essentially three introductions before starting the text which adds to it's length. The Kosa proper doesn't begin until page 203 in the Sangpo. I've been reading Pruden but started on Sangpo last night, still adjusting to the text as it uses a lot of fonts, etc. so the layout is a bit odd for me at present.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:17 pm Sorry - I saw the page numbers in the 200s and got confused. Was meaning to look at the text (Pruden) and figure out what you were proposing. Now I understand. So Greg is proposing Chapter One - from the intro up through the Rupa Skandha section.

In Pruden that's pp. 55-66.

That seems reasonable. I'd hesitate to go more than that because I imagine there is a lot to unpack even in just those few pages.

Aside - that section of the text in Pruden is much shorter than the Sangpo translation. Makes me curious about all those notes in there. Feeling like this might have to be moved up the wishlist.
People really need to integrate what Vasubandhu has to say about prajñā. So by way of topics for reflection:

What is the distinction between non-afflicted ignorance and afflictive ignorance?
Why does this matter?
Reflect on the meaning of prajñā.
What is the distinction between pure and impure prajñā?
Why can impure dharmas only be extinguished by prajñā?

The first three verses should be well anchored before continuing on to verse four. These three verses should serve as the basis for further discussion before moving on to verse 4, etc.
Last edited by Malcolm on Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

jake wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:52 pm
Queequeg wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:17 pm Aside - that section of the text in Pruden is much shorter than the Sangpo translation. Makes me curious about all those notes in there. Feeling like this might have to be moved up the wishlist.
Sangpo has essentially three introductions before starting the text which adds to it's length. The Kosa proper doesn't begin until page 203 in the Sangpo. I've been reading Pruden but started on Sangpo last night, still adjusting to the text as it uses a lot of fonts, etc. so the layout is a bit odd for me at present.
Its seems sangpo takes 25 pages to translated what is 10 pages in Pruden. I'm guessing Sangpo uses footnotes, whereas Pruden uses endnotes, as being part of it? Are Sangpo's footnotes worth it? Footnotes are often where you find the juicy stuff.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:00 pm
Its seems sangpo takes 25 pages to translated what is 10 pages in Pruden. I'm guessing Sangpo uses footnotes, whereas Pruden uses endnotes, as being part of it? Are Sangpo's footnotes worth it? Footnotes are often where you find the juicy stuff.
The footnotes are largely a distraction to the text. They are relevant mainly for scholars, but not practitioners.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Queequeg wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:00 pm Its seems sangpo takes 25 pages to translated what is 10 pages in Pruden. I'm guessing Sangpo uses footnotes, whereas Pruden uses endnotes, as being part of it? Are Sangpo's footnotes worth it? Footnotes are often where you find the juicy stuff.
I despise endnotes. Ab-so-lutely despise them. I LOVE footnotes and I agree, all the good bits are in footnotes. Sangpo used endnotes but has added section headings and does a lot with different font sizes, italics, etc. I've not yet done a full line-by-line but I think this accounts for the majority of the difference in length. My physical copy of Pruden is in storage so I'm now leaning towards reading Sangpo just because it's easier on the eyes. Need new glasses but COVID, so....

I was able to pick up my copy for about 165. I have a feeling that you're like me, a bit of a book collector so you probably already know what level of quality to expect from a book printed in India. Later today I'll scan a couple pages so you can see a side-by-side comparison. Maybe that will help other readers decide which edition to pick up.
GDPR_Anonymized001

Side-by-side Pruden Sangpo.jpg
Side-by-side Pruden Sangpo.jpg (324.88 KiB) Viewed 10857 times
*I think I highlighted the correct corresponding passages.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Do we need a new sub forum for the dicsussion?

This adventure is going to last a couple of years, so it might be a good idea, so that the discussion is not lost among other topics.

An admin needs to do that.

GDPR_Anonymized001

Sangpo mentions an "Electronic Appendix" in his intro. I was unable to find anything using the link provided in the text but I did find this, I believe it is one in the same:

https://www.kccl.ca/resources-of-the-ab ... 1%b9%a3ya/

NVM: it links back to the broken website. If anyone finds an active version, please let me know.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

I'm in favor of a new sub but only have my maybe ocd concern about having too many subs on the board. Maybe a sub in this sub so there isn't too much fuss with permissions? I don't know much about the software admin issues.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:10 pm
Queequeg wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:00 pm

The footnotes are largely a distraction to the text. They are relevant mainly for scholars, but not practitioners.
You might find yourself leaned on as an interactive footnote generator. :) よろしくおねがいいたします。
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:16 pm I'm in favor of a new sub but only have my maybe ocd concern about having too many subs on the board. Maybe a sub in this sub so there isn't too much fuss with permissions? I don't know much about the software admin issues.
It is the same amount of work.

Maybe the new sub-forum should be under the Academic Discussion sub-forum.

Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Grigoris wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:24 pm
Queequeg wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:16 pm I'm in favor of a new sub but only have my maybe ocd concern about having too many subs on the board. Maybe a sub in this sub so there isn't too much fuss with permissions? I don't know much about the software admin issues.
It is the same amount of work.

Maybe the new sub-forum should be under the Academic Discussion sub-forum.
Got it.

Not in favor of the academic sub because as Malcolm touched on above, we're not reading the text as an academic endeavor are we? I'd like to frame the reading as practice even maybe include a verse dedicating the merit at the start? That last part is just a spontaneous thought now. It would add some solemnity to this and bring it formally into the realm of practice.

Maybe a book club sub would be the appropriate thing to do?

Return to “Abhidharmakosabhasyam Book Club”