Practices for epidemics and pandemics

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
fckw

Re: Practices for epidemics and pandemics

Post by fckw »

I have not seen anyone explicitly advertising Palden Lhamo as particularly suited against pandemias. Besides the fact that she's a protectress and therefore only suited to those who know how to practice with protectors, shouldn't she also be well suited against all sorts of diseases and illnesses?
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Would it be appropriate to do the whole text one time and then accumulate the last paragraph many times?
That’s the way a lot people do it.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

fckw wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:11 pmI have not seen anyone explicitly advertising Palden Lhamo as particularly suited against pandemias. Besides the fact that she's a protectress and therefore only suited to those who know how to practice with protectors, shouldn't she also be well suited against all sorts of diseases and illnesses?
In Feburary, Geshe Lobsang Tsephel had specifically asked his students to propitiate Palden Lhamo to counter the virus.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:22 pm
Tenma wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 pm
Grigoris wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:45 pm My Greek lama recommended I do some protector practices (torma, serkyem, etc) to pacify the Mamo.

I informed him that I am happy to do so, but shouldn't somebody tell everybody else to stop irritating the Mamo?
How are the mamos being irritated exactly?
as humans, some get irritated by mere opinions (laughs), you can have an idea of the rest.

for instance, when the enviroment is polluted as lelopa mentioned, when you cut down trees, alter the course of rivers, suck water from the underground, when you burn garbage or sinthetic things in general (plastic, rubber, chemicals, etc.), when you burn meat, when you harm animals, when humans practice violence in general, when you don't have respect in general.

and in particular when you get involved in politics you may be affected by powerfull classes, such as mamo, as well. politics is the seed of warfare.

this is how i see it.

btw, provocation can be also when these clases get encouraged when they see humans being violent. not only irritating them.
another very specific contamination for mamo class is agitated samaddhi. i found it in GP's nol purification text while looking what could be good to add to sang purification powder.

i guess that could be when one practices contemplation while being partially distracted. does anyone know what exactly is this?
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Donny

Post by Donny »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:38 pm
Orgyen Menlha/Medicine Buddha-- best to do for people when they are ill.

Stay home and practice.
Can Medicine Buddha also be practiced as a protection or is it only for those already ill? And is it more advisable to continue with a practice one is already familiar with, then starting something "fresh" on hasn't accumulated before?

:anjali:
"To the sharp weapons of the demons, you offered delicate flowers in return. When the enraged Devadatta pushed down a boulder to kill you, you practiced silence. Son of the Sakyas, incapable of casting even an angry glance at your enemy, what intelligent person would honor you as a friend for protection from the great enemy, fearful samsara?"
(Gendun Chopel)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Donny wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:56 pm

Stay home and practice.
Can Medicine Buddha also be practiced as a protection or is it only for those already ill? And is it more advisable to continue with a practice one is already familiar with, then starting something "fresh" on hasn't accumulated before?

Not Malcolm but from what I gathered yes Medicine Buddha can also be practiced for protection, just as healing. To your second questions, Garchen Rinpoche often said that it is best when one practices yidam one feels close to, knows, etc.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Varis

Post by Varis »

Gesar
"I have never encountered a person who committed bad deeds." ― Ven. Jìngkōng
Donny

Post by Donny »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 pm
Donny wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:56 pm

Stay home and practice.

Not Malcolm but from what I gathered yes Medicine Buddha can also be practiced for protection, just as healing. To your second questions, Garchen Rinpoche often said that it is best when one practices yidam one feels close to, knows, etc.
Thanks a lot :-) That was very helpful.
"To the sharp weapons of the demons, you offered delicate flowers in return. When the enraged Devadatta pushed down a boulder to kill you, you practiced silence. Son of the Sakyas, incapable of casting even an angry glance at your enemy, what intelligent person would honor you as a friend for protection from the great enemy, fearful samsara?"
(Gendun Chopel)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Varis wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:53 pmGesar
and santa.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Danny

Post by Danny »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:12 pm
and santa.
Santa is historically connected to hallucinogenic mushrooms.
billy hudson

Post by billy hudson »

Danny wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:10 pm
and santa.
Ha
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Unlike Santa, King Gesar is a very prominent Dharmapala, so while one word posts are bit annoying I would not mock it. That is unless someone finds King Santar terma, then let's have a laugh.

Meanwhile let's stick to the topic. :focus:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Danny wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:10 pm
and santa.
That is right. :cheers:
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

and santa.
It you are referring to the practice of dressing up in red and white , going to a mall and having random children sit on your lap while giving them false hope of worldly trinkets.I'm afraid this would only spread the virus. :crying:
cyril

Post by cyril »

and santa.
Hmm...
Santa is associated with the Northern direction, just like Vaishravana. Santa is rich and bestows gifts, just like Vaishravana. Santa is fat, just like Vaishravana. Santa is assisted by elves, just like Vaishravana is assisted by yakshas. Now, Vaishravana also emanates as Dzambhala and there is a Dzambhala dharani for pacifying epidemics which, btw, you can now conveniently get from Amazon (yes, I know, it's about sheep, but still...)

https://www.amazon.ca/Jambhalas-Dh%C4%8 ... B07XHT4FYH

So if we carefully connect the dots....
"You have to make the good out of the bad because that is all you have got to make it out of."
- Robert Penn Warren -
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:17 am Unlike Santa, King Gesar is a very prominent Dharmapala, so while one word posts are bit annoying I would not mock it. That is unless someone finds King Santar terma, then let's have a laugh.

is there a Gesar-dharmapala practice that comes from Sa-Ter (earth treasure)?

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:58 pm
Könchok Thrinley wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:17 am Unlike Santa, King Gesar is a very prominent Dharmapala, so while one word posts are bit annoying I would not mock it. That is unless someone finds King Santar terma, then let's have a laugh.

Dunno, I am not the right man to be asked about terma teachings.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
heart

Post by heart »

https://www.ripaladrang.org/revealed-tr ... -rinpoche/

https://www.lotsawahouse.org/topics/gesar/

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

heart wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:17 pm

https://www.ripaladrang.org/revealed-tr ... -rinpoche/

https://www.lotsawahouse.org/topics/gesar/

/magnus
thanks Magnus. Do you know any Sa-Ter?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”