Practices for epidemics and pandemics

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
karmanyingpo

Re: Practices for epidemics and pandemics

Post by karmanyingpo »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:34 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:30 pm my root guru told me everything one would need about guardians, but never ever mentioned gesar.

maybe my teacher chnn practiced it, but it wasn't that useful or didn't matter or worked after all. otherwise it would be "there", somewhere at least.

i apreciate your messages guys. i take my leave.
What were you saying about Gesar and CHNN?

https://www.dzamlinggar.net/en/support/ ... ation-cord

Hello Malcolm, I noticed you mentioned that a 3 day retreat is obligatory for Dorje Gotrab and I am wondering if this is always the case since I have heard there are different terma and practices for the mantra. My own teacher didn't seem to say that we needed to do a 3 day retreat to activate it. Would appreciate your input.

KN
ma lu dzok pe san gye thop par shok!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:38 pm
Hello Malcolm, I noticed you mentioned that a 3 day retreat is obligatory for Dorje Gotrab and I am wondering if this is always the case since I have heard there are different terma and practices for the mantra. My own teacher didn't seem to say that we needed to do a 3 day retreat to activate it. Would appreciate your input.
According to the original terma of Dorje Lingpa. Three day retreat uninterrupted by other speech. Alternately, a one month retreat of Guru Drakpo.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:17 pm
karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:38 pm
According to the original terma of Dorje Lingpa. Three day retreat uninterrupted by other speech. Alternately, a one month retreat of Guru Drakpo.
I've read that there are three Terma-texts, revealed to Ratna Lingpa, Sangye Lingpa and Pema Ledrel Tsalom respectively. Is it possible that one of these doesn't require this retreat?

Or I'm wondering if my teacher just didn't mention the retreat for the sake of expediency since COVID is an emergency situation?
Donny

Post by Donny »

Can Guru-Yoga also be practiced as a protection during this time?
"To the sharp weapons of the demons, you offered delicate flowers in return. When the enraged Devadatta pushed down a boulder to kill you, you practiced silence. Son of the Sakyas, incapable of casting even an angry glance at your enemy, what intelligent person would honor you as a friend for protection from the great enemy, fearful samsara?"
(Gendun Chopel)
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Shingon Sect COVID-19 Goma Fire Ritual

Conducted by Bishop Fukushima of Hannyaji Temple, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan

"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
fckw

Post by fckw »

Donny wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:17 pm Can Guru-Yoga also be practiced as a protection during this time?
Absolutely! Guru-Yoga is a little bit like the basis of all Vajrayana mantra practice, it never goes wasted and indeed does provide protection to the practitioner from all sorts of negative influences if you have faith in it. And if you don't have faith in it it will help you to develop faith over time. ;) The other practices are good as well though. Guru yoga is a little bit like an "allround cure & protection" for all sorts of things. Other practices like Parnashavari or Vajra Armour, Urgyen Menla and so on are sort of more targeted towards a specific purpose (here: healing, cure, protection of diseases). What's more important than which exact yidam you select for protection is that you develop a certain pliancy with it - really try to get results before stopping the practice. If you have signs in your dreams that's a very good marker of progress. You can select one that you feel most drawn to (if you received transmission for several ones). For example, some people are very much drawn to Tara, then maybe Parnashavari is a good choice as she is one of Tara's manifestations. If you are very much drawn to Guru Rinpoche, then maybe Dorje Gotrab could be a good choice for you, because he is a manifestation of Guru Rinpoche. Some like more peaceful deities, others more wrathful ones. Some like more female dakini figures, others more male ones or ones in yab-yum. And so on. It depends on your personality, your karma and so on.

If you have sufficient time, then it's anyway good to always start your mantra practice with a short round of guru yoga before doing other mantra practice. In a retreat (where I don't primarily accumulate mantras but do a bunch of different practices) I personally like to start the day with a guru yoga for example.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

fckw wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 pm
Donny wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:17 pm Can Guru-Yoga also be practiced as a protection during this time?
Absolutely! Guru-Yoga is a little bit like the basis of all Vajrayana mantra practice, it never goes wasted and indeed does provide protection to the practitioner from all sorts of negative influences if you have faith in it. And if you don't have faith in it it will help you to develop faith over time. ;) The other practices are good as well though. Guru yoga is a little bit like an "allround cure & protection" for all sorts of things. Other practices like Parnashavari or Vajra Armour, Urgyen Menla and so on are sort of more targeted towards a specific purpose (here: healing, cure, protection of diseases). What's more important than which exact yidam you select for protection is that you develop a certain pliancy with it - really try to get results before stopping the practice. If you have signs in your dreams that's a very good marker of progress. You can select one that you feel most drawn to (if you received transmission for several ones). For example, some people are very much drawn to Tara, then maybe Parnashavari is a good choice as she is one of Tara's manifestations. If you are very much drawn to Guru Rinpoche, then maybe Dorje Gotrab could be a good choice for you, because he is a manifestation of Guru Rinpoche. Some like more peaceful deities, others more wrathful ones. Some like more female dakini figures, others more male ones or ones in yab-yum. And so on. It depends on your personality, your karma and so on.

If you have sufficient time, then it's anyway good to always start your mantra practice with a short round of guru yoga before doing other mantra practice. In a retreat (where I don't primarily accumulate mantras but do a bunch of different practices) I personally like to start the day with a guru yoga for example.
What kinds of signs in dreams do you mean?

KN
fckw

Post by fckw »

karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:14 am
Try it out and see for yourself. (Hint: The yidam won't hand you a certificate stating that you've successfully mastered the practice. ;) )
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

fckw wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:58 am
karmanyingpo wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:14 am
Try it out and see for yourself. (Hint: The yidam won't hand you a certificate stating that you've successfully mastered the practice. ;) )
Oh I am currently working on it but am just not sure what kinds of signs to look for. Some times it can be tricky diffirentiating between the wheat and the chaft so to speak.

KN
Donny

Post by Donny »

fckw wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Thanks a lot - that was very helpful :anjali:
"To the sharp weapons of the demons, you offered delicate flowers in return. When the enraged Devadatta pushed down a boulder to kill you, you practiced silence. Son of the Sakyas, incapable of casting even an angry glance at your enemy, what intelligent person would honor you as a friend for protection from the great enemy, fearful samsara?"
(Gendun Chopel)
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:34 am
javier.espinoza.t wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:30 pm my root guru told me everything one would need about guardians, but never ever mentioned gesar.

maybe my teacher chnn practiced it, but it wasn't that useful or didn't matter or worked after all. otherwise it would be "there", somewhere at least.

i apreciate your messages guys. i take my leave.
What were you saying about Gesar and CHNN?

https://www.dzamlinggar.net/en/support/ ... ation-cord

fine fine, maybe i'm just not kin to that line of knowledge.

btw i'm off from my leave ( :rolling: )
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”