Hakuin

Iconoclast

Hakuin

Post by Iconoclast »

Which titles from Hakuin should I read?
"Keep on working in this nothingness that is nowhere..."

"Cast aside cares, strip yourself from thoughts, and abandon your body; for prayer is nothing other than detachment from the visible and invisible world."
Caodemarte

Re: Hakuin

Post by Caodemarte »

All. :smile:

That said, ignore the old and unreliable translation The Embossed Teakettle and stick with Yampolsky and Waddell.
Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast »

:twothumbsup: Thank you. I've been debating about ordering Dogen's massive work but found Hakuin's work Posion Blossoms from a Thicket of Thorns. Any thoughts on that collection?

"Cast aside cares, strip yourself from thoughts, and abandon your body; for prayer is nothing other than detachment from the visible and invisible world."
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

" Blossoms" is Waddell's newest and thickest. It's a very, very good collection (primarily a record of inspirational teachings, but a wide range of other material) and a great read due to Hakuin's often exuberant and multifaceted personality. It is an excellent choice.

BTW, although austere, poetic Dogen and earthy wild man Hakuin seem to have had radically different personalities and teaching styles, I hope that no one imagines that their works are in opposition.
Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast »

Ordered Poison Blossoms. Sounds deadly.

Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast »

Started reading it today. The notes are extremely helpful and I admit I would be completely lost without them.

Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

The only book you need is your own mind, why you need almost 700 pages to understand it?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Saoshun wrote:The only book you need is your own mind, why you need almost 700 pages to understand it?
We're all different, Saoshun.
84 000 dharma doors and all that:

:reading: :meditate: :group: :coffee:

Choose one or more. :smile:

:namaste:
Kim
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

Anyway Hakuin is genuine, try to do his neikan meditation then approach his teachings and koans for better results.
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

As Hakuin would tell you, inspirational books can be of great, but limited, value. I say this as a person who loves and values reading Hakuin by the way. If you want to really practice with koans please fInd a teacher.
Iconoclast

Post by Iconoclast »

Thanks folks. I'm just learning about Buddhism especially in relation to mystical traditions of Eastern Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism. Books are a necessity, "and if there is any money left I'll buy food."

:ugeek:

Return to “Rinzai”