Brief members bios - please contribute!

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Brief members bios - please contribute!

Post by DNS »

Silent Bob wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:03 pm In a brief update, I'm still Silent Bob, more or less, and after seven years I'm still in Bellingham. As it turned out, B'ham is hardly a dharma hotspot; the town's three dharma centers (Shambhala,the Zen center and Insight Meditation have all closed down after prolonged financial and membership struggles during the worst of covid, as did the beautiful Sakya retreat center on one of the nearby islands. I've met only one (1) other vajrayana practitioner in the years I've been here, and learned that if I can't talk dharma with anyone here I actually miss talking to people about trucks and horses, though trash-talking the gummint is still not very interesting.
It's good I had decades of solo practice before coming here because it seems to be my fate to be a solitary practitioner.

Chris
Unfortunately, that seems to be happening a lot lately. Numbers and support were not that great before covid and then with that, many had to just shut down for good.

I see you're not too far from Seattle, maybe about 80 miles or so. You could always travel down there, not regularly, but perhaps for some programs once in a while.
Jizofan041576

Post by Jizofan041576 »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Craig. I consider myself a buddhist cause I am trying to implement the four noble truths in my life (including the eight fold path I am personally hung up on right livelihood within the USA). I consider myself a bodhisattva cause I endorse the four noble truths as the most honorable way to live and I am willing to use my remaining time in this body to endorse them. Hopefully I can become a Buddha by perfectly treading the eight fold path and can then live in a way that contributes to the steam of life as a positive expression of the dharma.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Welcome to DW!

I live on the N side of Chicago and that takes all of my time.
The name under the nick you see is Cornelia.

I'm on my way to send prayers to the old banyan tree in Lahaina. 💚
I heard on Unsolved Mysteries of therapeutic touch. Maybe it works, it's worth a try!

But to conclude, welcome to DW, may I call you Craig? The word is to relax. And to do your best.

Miorita
:anjali:
Mircea

Post by Mircea »

Hello, I'm here because I want to return to the cushion and do more serious practice. I won't post much in the "serious" threads since I don't feel competent enough.

I'm otherwise dealing with languages on multiple levels - as a professional translator/court interpreter while doing some postgraduate linguistic studies.
suigen

Post by suigen »

Hello all,

I practiced Buddhism from around 2010 to 2013, first solo, and then for a time with a Plum Village affiliated sangha. But my primary interest had always been with Soto Zen (reading Uchiyama and Okumura have been particularly beneficial to me, I think).

Being an autodidact, I then took a detour of sorts and exploring a variety of other modes of "spirituality" and philosophy. I have lately returned to Dogen's peculiar iteration of Buddhism, where I really do feel most at home. I've been getting back into some basic solo sitting and just taking things slowly. How much I may contribute here, I'm not sure — but I'm certain to learn from others here, which is the primary reason I came here.

In my spare time, I enjoy poetry (reading and sometimes writing), classic literature, philosophy, classical music and some experimental music. I'm also something of an etymology geek, and I can spend hours sauntering alone in woodland areas.

~suigen

Return to “Introductions”