Transmission on the Internet

michaelb

Transmission on the Internet

Post by michaelb »

Given the technologically advanced methods of giving transmissions and teaching, the DC membership system seems antiquated. Apparently, I have to pay by cheque or set up a standing order. I don't have a cheque book any more. Who does? Why they can't use Papal or credit card payments is beyond me. Anyway, looks like I definitely won't get the log in in time, so I'll have to look for teachings elsewhere . Talking of which, does anyone know of a Dudjom Tersar Drolo commentary ? maybe also a recording of the Wishfulfilling Cow?
Thanks
michaelb

Re: ChNNR Dorje Drolo retreat

Post by michaelb »

I know. I attended some teachings in London a couple of years ago, and have watched quite a few open webcasts, and met up with local members for the transmission. but joining just for one closed webcast when i really want teachings on another terma may not be the best reason to join.
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

How do you log on to a closed webcast? Go to the normal webcast site? Anything special you have to do?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

dakini_boi wrote:How do you log on to a closed webcast? Go to the normal webcast site? Anything special you have to do?

Use your webcast team assigned user name and password on the login page which is found on the files page
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Thanks, Namdrol. And then return to the webcast video page, after logging in? It says something on bottom of webcast page about needing to "subscribe" to restricted webcasts. I'm assuming this isn't necessary. Just want to check these things now, so I'm not out of luck at the start of the teaching.
heart

Post by heart »

I am not getting the webcast, is it on?

/magnus

edit: wrong day, it is tomorrow right?
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
daelm

Post by daelm »

heart wrote:I am not getting the webcast, is it on?

/magnus

edit: wrong day, it is tomorrow right?

tomorrow
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

JinpaRangdrol wrote:Does anybody know if they'll post a copy of the full Sadhana on the webcast page, or if not, does anybody have a PDF of it?

It is already up.

The full sadhana consists of a seed syllable and two mantras. That is just how we roll in the DC. :guns:

N
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I don't understand why they don't just use Ustream. Kids have broadcast concerts from their iPhone to tens of thousands of people at a time using Ustream. I must have clicked the refresh button 100 times already in the first hour today.

How can we be sure we're receiving transmission if there is a huge time lag? When I started out at 8, I tried both mobile app and computer video to see which was better. The mobile was several minutes ahead. At about 9, an hour later, I had hit the mobile "back 30 seconds" to refresh the stuck video so many times that the computer video was now way ahead of the mobile version.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

padma norbu wrote:I don't understand why they don't just use Ustream. Kids have broadcast concerts from their iPhone to tens of thousands of people at a time using Ustream. I must have clicked the refresh button 100 times already in the first hour today.

How can we be sure we're receiving transmission if there is a huge time lag? When I started out at 8, I tried both mobile app and computer video to see which was better. The mobile was several minutes ahead. At about 9, an hour later, I had hit the mobile "back 30 seconds" to refresh the stuck video so many times that the computer video was now way ahead of the mobile version.
I completely agree with the use of Ustream.

Second, Sonam advised something that he does that is giving me an almost flawless webcast today: I have one browser tab open with video where I muted the sound. I have a second browser tab open with audio playing. I've only had to refresh once on the audio page. There is a delay with video to audio, but to me, flawless audio is most important.
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

audio is totally different time, too. I think tomorrow I will open the pc video and pc audio and see which starts first, then close the other one. I'm guessing audio might be most reliable.
"Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings." Pema Chodron
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Mr. G wrote: Second, Sonam advised something that he does that is giving me an almost flawless webcast today: I have one browser tab open with video where I muted the sound. I have a second browser tab open with audio playing. I've only had to refresh once on the audio page. There is a delay with video to audio, but to me, flawless audio is most important.
This is a good idea. Being able to see him has kept me awake! Yesterday, I was just listening and it was impossible to stay awake. I wonder if Macs or PCs play the video better. Hmmm. I will test now.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Surprise! My crappy little PC Netbook plays the video better in Firefox with Windows 7 than my expensive iMac in either Chrome or Firefox on OS X.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

I noticed that he said he gave transmission today. While he was saying the mantras, both times he said it, my connection paused. It was also delayed by about 3 or 4 minutes anyway from the audio. So... I really don't think I received transmission.

Is the initiation tomorrow all I will really need?
florin

Post by florin »

padma norbu wrote:I don't understand why they don't just use Ustream. Kids have broadcast concerts from their iPhone to tens of thousands of people at a time using Ustream. I must have clicked the refresh button 100 times already in the first hour today.

well...try the audio only...

I gave up on video .
Right now the video seems to be at least 20 minutes behind..

So i asked myself the same question .What kind of transmission one can receive when the broadcast is not in real time.
Watching the video broadcast is equivalent to watching a replay.
So far the worst broadcasts come from Argentina.
I have no ideea why.
Is Argentina in a different world system from the rest of us?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

padma norbu wrote:I noticed that he said he gave transmission today. While he was saying the mantras, both times he said it, my connection paused. It was also delayed by about 3 or 4 minutes anyway from the audio. So... I really don't think I received transmission.

Is the initiation tomorrow all I will really need?

Yes, and really, don't get so locked into concepts -- for example, it even takes some time for sound to travel through air in the same room. If you obsess about things like this, you will never overcome doubt.

As long as you heard it, then you received it. He intended you to receive it, you intended to receive it, therefore, the transmission is perfect, ok?

Tomorrow, just listen to the audio feed.

N
Last edited by Malcolm on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
padma norbu

Post by padma norbu »

Namdrol wrote: As long as you heard it, then you received it.

N
Problem is I didn't really hear it. I switched over to audio not realizing how far ahead it was. Just a little while ago someone pointed out the video was at least 20 minutes behind, so I turned it on to see how much I missed. He was in the middle of explaining something he previously gave transmission for, I think. Then he did a second transmission and I did hear that. I think he said "okay, this is the transmission for the tantra." If taht is the only transmission he gave, then I guess I got it just in the nick of time, but if he gave anything else, I missed it. When I heard it, I wasn't really in a "receiving" frame of mind, I was thinking, "yup, I missed it" and was sort of preoccupied.
blackpath

Post by blackpath »

alpha wrote:

The best strategy I can recommend if someone is set on watching a video stream, is to switch over to the audio stream at the *first* sign of significant lag, and then staying put on the audio stream. Hopping back and forth between video and audio can cause a host of problems, not only for your streams, but it affects the server capability for all others who are streaming. Hopping in general consumes processing threads, ports, causes overhead, delays and a host of issues. This results in the types of conditions reported--one person is 3-4 minutes lagged, another 20 minutes, and both are true.

In short--if there's trouble stick to audio, and only reconnect when disconnected.
oberon_rex

ChNNR - Transmission on the Internet

Post by oberon_rex »

Given how awful the connection is tonight, I suggest someone who knows about this system to send information to : [email protected]
Kilaya.

Post by Kilaya. »

Neither video, nor audio on the day of the initiation.
Look at those charlatans, madly engaged
in fervent argument.
- Milarepa

Return to “Dzogchen”