Ganesh in Tibetan Buddhism

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Jangchup Donden

Ganesh in Tibetan Buddhism

Post by Jangchup Donden »

How is Ganesh viewed in Tibetan Buddhism?

I was recently given a (rather nice) jeweled painting of him and was wondering what to do with it.
Malcolm

Re: Ganesh in Tibetan Buddhism

Post by Malcolm »

Jangchup Donden wrote:How is Ganesh viewed in Tibetan Buddhism?

I was recently given a (rather nice) jeweled painting of him and was wondering what to do with it.
Put it on your shrine. Ganesh is a worldly deity, under the command of Vajrapani.

N
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

It's an odd thing but I keep bumping into Ganesh in TB. There must be a reason for that.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

There are prayers to him (as Ganapati) I don't know if he is considered Enlightened or not. Same with Saraswati.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog1 wrote:There are prayers to him (as Ganapati) I don't know if he is considered Enlightened or not. Same with Saraswati.
The fomer no, the latter, yes. She is Mañjuśri's consort as well as Shiva's wife.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Namdrol wrote:
Konchog1 wrote:There are prayers to him (as Ganapati) I don't know if he is considered Enlightened or not. Same with Saraswati.
The fomer no, the latter, yes. She is Mañjuśri's consort as well as Shiva's wife.
She isn't Brahma's wife?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog1 wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
She isn't Brahma's wife?
Nope.

For example, when the premission blessing is given, there is always a torma given to Parvati, who is Shiva's other wife, who because of her jealousy will otherwise afflict practitioners of White Sarasvati with poverty.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Namdrol wrote: Nope.

For example, when the premission blessing is given, there is always a torma given to Parvati, who is Shiva's other wife, who because of her jealousy will otherwise afflict practitioners of White Sarasvati with poverty.
Oh thanks. Is that something to worry about if I just say prayers and make offerings to Saraswati?

Karinos

Post by Karinos »

there is a rare sadhana in Nigmapa tradition for Maha Ganesha / also called Vajra Ganesha

otherwise as mentioned before "Put it on your shrine. Ganesh is a worldly deity, under the command of Vajrapani."

:namaste:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Who's this then and why are they being crushed by a protector?
Crushing.jpg
Crushing.jpg (38.07 KiB) Viewed 12488 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

OMG! Greg! You posted a picture of a protectors feet! What were you thinking? What about your Samaya??!

Just joking :tongue:

Is it Dumbo? perhaps It's a scene Disney cut out of the original film :smile:
s.
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

gregkavarnos wrote:Who's this then and why are they being crushed by a protector?
I've heard two explanations reg. deity under Mahakala Chadrupa feet:
- first is when Mahakala Chadrupa manifested - Ganesha offered his body as footrest - to dignify this emanation
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =3&theater
- second is that it is not Ganesha but Binayaka (or Vinayaka) - a demon who brings obstacles and therefore trodden,
However in Hindu mythology Vinayaka is actually form of Ganesha who's primary function is removing obstacles.
so it is slightly unclear :)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

catmoon wrote:It's an odd thing but I keep bumping into Ganesh in TB. There must be a reason for that.
Ganesh seems to get around. There was an article sometime several years ago in Tricycle written by a student of the Khenpo Brothers who kept seeing Ganesh. They also told the author that Ganesh was considered a worldly deity under command of the Buddhas and gave some advice.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

kirtu wrote:
catmoon wrote:It's an odd thing but I keep bumping into Ganesh in TB. There must be a reason for that.
Ganesh seems to get around. There was an article sometime several years ago in Tricycle written by a student of the Khenpo Brothers who kept seeing Ganesh. They also told the author that Ganesh was considered a worldly deity under command of the Buddhas and gave some advice.

Kirt

Yes, for example, there is a Ganapati sadhana that is part of the thirteen golden dharmas. Ganapati is a common worldly dharma protector in Nyingma, as is Shiva.

N
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

According to Lama Wangdu he is more than worldly and is a natural protector to practitioners of Chod.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
Adamantine
Former staff member

Post by Adamantine »

Also, re: White Saraswati - according to Nyingma she is
an emanation of Samantabadhri so there is no negative
effects such as poverty from practicing her...
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

Mahakala stands on the body of the white elephant king, Ganapati who is worshipped by Hindus before they worship their guru since he is the Lord of Obstacles.More information about him may be obtained from the Mahanirvana Tantra.After our Lord's Enlightenment, he was converted by Mahakala and appears under the latter's feet.He who worships Ganapati according to Tantric Buddhism has a real helper who helps to overcome obstacles.
nirmal

Post by nirmal »

http://theemerald.wordpress.com/2009/03 ... -ganapati/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.himalayanart.org/search/set.cfm?setID=207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tibetanbuddhism.tribe.net/thread ... 090201fafa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandarava

Post by Mandarava »

Namdrol says
The fomer no, the latter, yes. She is Mañjuśri's consort as well as Shiva's wife.[/quote]She isn't Brahma's wife?[/quote]

For example, when the premission blessing is given, there is always a torma given to Parvati, who is Shiva's other wife, who because of her jealousy will otherwise afflict practitioners of White Sarasvati with poverty.[/quote]

Namdrol where do you get the info that Saraswat is Shiva's wife? Can you quote it please as tradtionally she is viewed as the wife of Brahma.
http://www.sanatansociety.org/hindu_god ... aswati.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'I really like these teeth.There is a human being who took my teeth and then
there is another human being who gave me my teeth'. ~*~ Palden Gyatso ~*~
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

There's also the Ganapati-Ganeshwara Hridaya Sutra which is available in English on-line. If interested, try doing a Google search. As a sutra, anyone can say/read it without necessarily having received lung, although lung can make the practice even more effective.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”