Best Yidams to Remove Obstacles

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Best Yidams to Remove Obstacles

Post by Grigoris »

Your mind.

By the way, it's also the hardest to appease!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Very quick reply for now. Obstacles are inner. Time and money to do retreat is not really a problem. More relationship as I don't want to leave my wife home alone.
Also, I feel I need a closer relationship with a teacher before I start a retreat. Now, I would just be winging it.

Many thanks again. You are all providing great help!
heart

Post by heart »

Clarence wrote:Thanks all. Currently no access to main Lama (he is stuck in Tibet), except to CNN through webcasts.

Obstacles take the form of general lack of retreat opportunity and moving forward with practice. Hope that helps.

So, what would you suggest?
Guru Yoga, as in intensively praying to the Guru, and resting in the natural state was the answer I got from Garchen Rinpoche when I asked a similar question. Of course deities like Vajrakilaya etc is also great.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

In that case, I would, at the very least recite the Lama Gesar mantra.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

heart wrote:
Clarence wrote:Thanks all. Currently no access to main Lama (he is stuck in Tibet), except to CNN through webcasts.

Obstacles take the form of general lack of retreat opportunity and moving forward with practice. Hope that helps.

So, what would you suggest?
Guru Yoga, as in intensively praying to the Guru, and resting in the natural state was the answer I got from Garchen Rinpoche when I asked a similar question. Of course deities like Vajrakilaya etc is also great.

/magnus
And? Did it work for you?
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

ngodrup wrote:In that case, I would, at the very least recite the Lama Gesar mantra.
I don't think I have the lung for that mantra.
dakini_boi

Post by dakini_boi »

Clarence wrote:Very quick reply for now. Obstacles are inner. Time and money to do retreat is not really a problem. More relationship as I don't want to leave my wife home alone.
Also, I feel I need a closer relationship with a teacher before I start a retreat. Now, I would just be winging it.

Many thanks again. You are all providing great help!
I recommend Guru Dragphur or Simhamukha (I assume you have lung for these) and/or Padmasambhava guru yoga (or just vajra guru mantra is fine). Any of these practices should address the obstacles you mentioned. If the main thing is needing a closer connection with a teacher, Guru Dragphur and/or Padmasambhava might be most expedient.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Prayers to Buddha are extremely powerful.
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Song of the Vajra.
heart

Post by heart »

Clarence wrote:
heart wrote:

/magnus
And? Did it work for you?
Garchen Rinpoche told me that at the bottom of every sad state of mind there was a thought that was the root of it. So combining Guru Yoga and Trechö it becomes apparent what that thought is. Something actually surfaced for me, so you can say it worked, but I am still working on it.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
maybay

Post by maybay »

A few rounds of angry birds does it for me
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
michaelb

Post by michaelb »

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

maybay wrote:A few rounds of angry birds does it for me
Yeah! I dig mean chicks too... ermmm... :?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Yidams for removing obstacles are as everyone noted......Vajrakilaya, Guru Dragpo or Dragphur, lots of Guru Rinpoche emanations/forms, and don't forget Hayagriva, etc.

No one's mentioned Protector practices, which of course are all about "removing obstacles." Good to do, if you've been taught how to do them, or have relationship with those practices.

However, in your case, it sounds specifically like the "obstacle" is your relationship, or your perception of it. Therefore, the best thing to do is to have a discussion with your significant other about practice, and work out some sort of mutually agreeable situation.

Get up early in the morning, practice until after dawn. Do a short session in the evening, if you need to offer torma, etc. On weekends, maybe work in extra sessions, or take a day off work and practice......and have some sort of agreement with your significant other about your practice time / practice schedule.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Okay I'll follow your advice Gregkavarnos.

But why not?

People mention Samantabhadra/Samantabhadri and Garab Dorje.

Are we not supposed mention Dharma Protectors at all?

Or just Her?
Last edited by Lhug-Pa on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Really, Lhug-pa, you shouldn't even be mentioning her name, especially on a public internet board! Notice how Cone just said protector practices without going into specifics. ;)

Feel free to edit!
:namaste:

Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

heart wrote: Garchen Rinpoche told me that at the bottom of every sad state of mind there was a thought that was the root of it. So combining Guru Yoga and Trechö it becomes apparent what that thought is. Something actually surfaced for me, so you can say it worked, but I am still working on it.
/magnus
Thanks for your answer.
Garchen Rinpoche is great. I guess we always keep working at it. :smile:
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

conebeckham wrote:Yidams for removing obstacles are as everyone noted......Vajrakilaya, Guru Dragpo or Dragphur, lots of Guru Rinpoche emanations/forms, and don't forget Hayagriva, etc.
Well, on to find some lung and tri then.
No one's mentioned Protector practices, which of course are all about "removing obstacles." Good to do, if you've been taught how to do them, or have relationship with those practices.
Since I wasn't sure I could keep the commitment, I have never taken teachings/empowerment on protectors.
However, in your case, it sounds specifically like the "obstacle" is your relationship, or your perception of it. Therefore, the best thing to do is to have a discussion with your significant other about practice, and work out some sort of mutually agreeable situation.
Definitely my perception. You are right.
Get up early in the morning, practice until after dawn. Do a short session in the evening, if you need to offer torma, etc. On weekends, maybe work in extra sessions, or take a day off work and practice......and have some sort of agreement with your significant other about your practice time / practice schedule.
Thanks, I will see how I can fit things in. Practical advice from you once again. Maybe I should add you as an inspirational western practitioner.

Best,
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

heart wrote:Garchen Rinpoche told me that at the bottom of every sad state of mind there was a thought that was the root of it. So combining Guru Yoga and Trechö it becomes apparent what that thought is. Something actually surfaced for me, so you can say it worked, but I am still working on it.
What is Trechö?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
heart

Post by heart »

Konchog1 wrote:
heart wrote:Garchen Rinpoche told me that at the bottom of every sad state of mind there was a thought that was the root of it. So combining Guru Yoga and Trechö it becomes apparent what that thought is. Something actually surfaced for me, so you can say it worked, but I am still working on it.
What is Trechö?
Main practices in Dzogchen Menngagde are called Trekchö (cutting through) and Tögal (leaping over).

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”