How long did it take you to finish the ngondro completely.

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.

How long?

~ 2 years
13%
5 years
16%
7 years
10%
10+ years
13%
Still doing
32%
Results
16%

Total votes: 31

winter0601

How long did it take you to finish the ngondro completely.

Post by winter0601 »

It's not customary to brag about this, so I'm asking in the form of a poll. Curious to know a realistic timeline. :spy:
conebeckham

Re: How long did it take you to finish the ngondro completely.

Post by conebeckham »

I was going to answer that it took 5 years to finish the 400,000.....but I have engaged in two different "ngondro" practices since then, and I feel, more than ever, that ngondro is the main practice in many ways.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

winter0601 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:52 pm It's not customary to brag about this, so I'm asking in the form of a poll. Curious to know a realistic timeline. :spy:
My first took 6 years and my second 5 years and then I done a number of 10% ngondros as well. It's easy to learn and profound to do.
Last edited by heart on Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

At 11,000 prostrations I had the realization that doing this was, for me, just a ridiculous head trip that I had convinced myself to get into and that the large bump which had developed on my forehead as a result wasn’t my third eye opening up after all. It was just a bump telling me to start being honest with myself.

So, that was when I finished traditional ngongdro completely. I was completely finished with it.
:rolling:

Looking back, that’s probably why my lama sort of rolled his eyes like “okay, whatever” when I told him I was going to do ngondro. It may be right for everyone but maybe not everybody is right for it.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
winter0601

Post by winter0601 »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:19 pm Looking back, that’s probably why my lama sort of rolled his eyes like “okay, whatever” when I told him I was going to do ngondro.
My experience was completely the opposite. I didn't even ask. On the same day that I took all the 5 vows for the first time and asked the lama for advice on the practice I was told: "And now you start doing THIS". :soapbox: I don't know if my face is so arrogant that looking at me you immediately want to prescribe prostrations, or if they are all so hardcore in his monastery (he's a Geshe from Drepung), but that's how it happened.
Last edited by winter0601 on Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

A lot depends on the ngondro itself, some being longer than others. For instance, the refuge could be one or four lines, the mandala could be one to 12 lines, etc. It also depends on the style of practice of particular lineages. In Dza Patrul's way of doing the Longchen Nyingthig ngondro, it's not 100,000 long Vajra Sattvas but one million, and it's not 100,000 Vajra Guru mantra, not even the common 1,300,000, but 10 million. The first ngondro I did took me 15-18 days (it did not have prostrations). The second ngondro took me 15 years as a layman with family and job.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
winter0601

Post by winter0601 »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:39 pm A lot depends on the ngondro itself, some being longer than others. For instance, the refuge could be one or four lines, the mandala could be one to 12 lines, etc. It also depends on the style of practice of particular lineages. In Dza Patrul's way of doing the Longchen Nyingthig ngondro, it's not 100,000 long Vajra Sattvas but one million, and it's not 100,000 Vajra Guru mantra, not even the common 1,300,000, but 10 million. The first ngondro I did took me 15-18 days (it did not have prostrations). The second ngondro took me 15 years as a layman with family and job.
I'm doing a standard Gelugpa variant, but the experience of other schools is also interesting.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

never being told need it, never done it, nor feel need for it.

however, i see is about understanding samsara means to suffer, and the way to go beyhond it is buddhadharma. i remember the 4 noble truths.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I used a time for Ngöndro, when I wasn't old yet and I had a lot of freetime. It took 7 years, but at the end I couldn't finish it completely, because mandala offering was too much sitting for me. I have physical problems with long sitting.
If I had finished that thoroughly and patiently, it would have taken 12 years all together, I guess.
But then times changed and I had really much work in meatspace.

Ngöndro taught me a lot about sticking to a task, motivating myself and enduring phases of weakness, low self-esteem and depression. The task was not to achieve big numbers or being quick, but never ever stop. "Don't miss one day and do at least a few prostrations or whatever", was the task. Then at other times I got caught by a flow and I enjoyed to note higher and higher scores into my diary.

I learned to cope with myself as I am and simply don't stop. No eagerness, no pride, no self-assault, just steady going.
Nobody and nothing in our society was able to teach this to me, although it's a skill of fundamental import.
I learned it late in my life between 47 and 54 years.
Kai lord

Post by Kai lord »

Prostration took the longest, done together with refuge and bodhicitta (Took 40% to 50% of the total time), mandala required the most preparation work and effort. Vajrasattva was the favourite, Guru yoga is the most essential.

Four thoughts contemplation were the most profound
Life is like a game, either you win or lose!
Life is like a fight, either you live or die!
Life is like a show, either you laugh or cry!
Life is like a dream, either you know or not!!!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

winter0601 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:08 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:19 pm Looking back, that’s probably why my lama sort of rolled his eyes like “okay, whatever” when I told him I was going to do ngondro.
My experience was completely the opposite. I didn't even ask. On the same day that I took all the 5 vows for the first time and asked the lama for advice on the practice I was told: "And now you start doing THIS". :soapbox: I don't know if my face is so arrogant that looking at me you immediately want to prescribe prostrations, or if they are all so hardcore in his monastery (he's a Geshe from Drepung), but that's how it happened.
I think, their reputation is to be naturally hardcore. There's nothing personal about prostrations, I believe. Every healthy person is supposed to do them.
winter0601

Post by winter0601 »

Ayu wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:34 pm I think, their reputation is to be naturally hardcore. There's nothing personal about prostrations, I believe. Every healthy person is supposed to do them.
I have no problem with how it happened, I just didn't expect it only after a couple of personal conversations.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

I did it in dedicated retreat both times. About 5 months each time if I remember correctly.
This is not the wrong life.
justsit

Post by justsit »

It seems to me that part of the lama's job is to confound our expectations.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

First time, doing it full- or half-time, less than a year. Second time, doing it while working, etc. about 5 years. !0% ngondros, depends on the circumstances.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

First was about two years, including the common preliminaries. Subsequent ones were much faster.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Four years
All best wishes

Double Dorje podcast trailer: https://adeniswilding.podbean.com/e/trailer/
Fido

Post by Fido »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:39 pm In Dza Patrul's way of doing the Longchen Nyingthig ngondro, it's not 100,000 long Vajra Sattvas but one million,
My friend, a translator from the Tibetan language, did not find such instructions in Kunzang Lama Shalung. Could you share the source?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

These were oral instructions I received from my Teachers. It was Khenpo Sonam in LA who used the words "Patrul sung-gyud" to describe this approach when he was once asking me about my practice of the LN ngondro. Sung-gyud means spoken lineage. So, yes, these instructions are not found in Kunzang Lamai Zhelung. They are the oral tradition as it came down to my Teachers from Kyabje Chatral Sangay Dorje Rinpoche.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

Ngondro is never finished, dear brother.

The numbers are merely signposts.

Even after “completing” 1 or 3 sets of ngondro, you can still be an asshole.

The late Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche was practicing ngondro until his dying days.

It’s never done, numbers mean very little; over-emphasis on amounts of this or that can only be ego-tripping, in my opinion, ofcourse.

Wishing you well on the ngondro journey!

🙏🏼

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”