Heat Dome with temps reaching 100°F

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
Miorita

Heat Dome with temps reaching 100°F

Post by Miorita »

It is already 1 week since I wait for some clouds to cause a rainfall over the city.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS9_WU1tax8

It's not just me, or the city, it's a large area involved.
What practice do you suggest? I'm tired by the wait and only want to know what to do.
The squirrels have cried the first day, then they've stopped the next.
You can't hear the cicadas, they're like non-existent, only this absurd heat is creeping on us.
I'm asking for prayers and advice.

I think Green Tara, but I am not sure. What do you suggest?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Heat Dome with temps reaching 100°F

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Miorita wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:35 am What do you suggest?
put water out in shallow dishes in shade for animals
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:06 am
I'll do this now before it gets dark.
Thank you!
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

:good:

Stay cool, stay hydrated.

Campaign for quicker action on climate change.

:namaste:
Kim
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Heat domes are caused mainly by concrete paving, stone, asphalt, and excessive vehicles and AC units. Modern cities (especially on the American model) are essentially perfectly designed to simulate heat islands. They create essentially tropical 25ºC+ nights, even in places like Chicago.

These are also self-perpetuating cycles.

The now-famous Turner and Duranton law states that more roads equals more cars. Reduce the roads, increase the number of trams and trains, and the number of cars will decrease without necessarily increasing road congestion.

Soil is ~10ºC cooler than stone, asphalt, and paving. Places without paved roads (or just one or two), while inconvenienced, generally don't need AC at night. Even Edo period Tokyo was generally fine, and nights were cool, as there was no paving, whereas now it's a concrete jungle, with jungle-like temperatures in the summer to match it.

Likewise, building materials like brick and concrete in buildings have the same effect, whereas wood does not.

Anyway, this doesn't necessarily address the OP's concern. But just some things that I have been looking into recently. Maybe in addition to campaigning for action on climate change, we should also campaign for sustainable and livable cities, urban planning, architecture, and transportation that exist in harmony with nature and its cycles rather than against it.

Putting out water in the shade sounds like a great idea. In many hot countries, people also sprinkle water on the pavement outside their houses/shops, but it tends to quickly evaporate.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

There is a heat dome coming to us starting tomorrow. It will be dangerous for many people over the next few days.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:39 am
:good:

Stay cool, stay hydrated.

Campaign for quicker action on climate change.

Kim
I can only do what depends on me.

I've observed temperatures in Africa, and they are lower than those in the Western US. This leads me to believe it's related to human activity.
In the Midwest, we are influenced by both oceans. Last year, the city reached 100 degrees in August. This year, it's already too early, and there's no sign of relief. I haven't manipulated anything; it simply accumulates over densely populated areas and lingers for days until it's eventually cleared away.

Regarding the animals, I've done the dishwater trick. It's likely that the dogs will drink before returning home. I've also placed water in the back alley.

On the topic of climate change, I've noticed in Europe how extremist groups have placed their members in seats within the European Parliament during the elections on the 9th. They don't make proposals; they only possess the power to approve or reject proposals presented to them. They'll likely behave as Trump did.
The outlook is grim; it seems no one will take action, and we'll continue to hear more desperate pleas as the environment is pushed to its limits.
I foresee a record number of wildfires this year, as summer has only just begun. :(
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Zhen Li wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:59 am ... Maybe in addition to campaigning for action on climate change, we should also campaign for sustainable and livable cities, urban planning, architecture, and transportation that exist in harmony with nature and its cycles rather than against it. ...
Absolutely! Mitigation and adaptation efforts like these have the advantage that they can be implemented relatively quickly and cheaply by local authorities. And local authorities tend to be more responsive to local voters, as well as more aware of local hot-spots both social and physical.

Local propoerty owners can do some things for themselves, too. A dark roof can be painted white to reflect more heat back out the house, trees can be planted, etc.

Kim
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

This heat wave that is hitting the US is not an urban heat dome. Its a massive weather pattern of high pressure that has been moving up from the south and is now making its way over the Northeast.

I first noticed the reality of urban heat domes when I started riding a motorcycle. The drop in temp the moment you come out of NYC and head north out of the Bronx can be dramatic.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 12:19 pm This heat wave that is hitting the US is not an urban heat dome. Its a massive weather pattern of high pressure that has been moving up from the south and is now making its way over the Northeast.

I first noticed the reality of urban heat domes when I started riding a motorcycle. The drop in temp the moment you come out of NYC and head north out of the Bronx can be dramatic.
Thanks for clarifying that, Qq. I suspected that was the case but didn't check.
Here we talk about an "Urban Heat Island", the local effect due to pavements and dark roofs and surfaces that soak up daytime heat and release it at night, and "Heat Waves", the regional effect of a weather pattern. I don't recall ever hearing "Heat Dome", which could apply to either of them, in a weather forecast. Our forecasters do talk about "blocking weather patterns", meaning patterns which would normally pass over the region in hours or days but get stuck in one place. It sounds like your "heat dome" is one of them.

Mitigating the Urban Heat Island effect will make the (next) Heat Dome more bearable, of course, but their causes are quite separate.

:coffee:
Kim
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

They've been coining all kinds of novel weather terms lately - polar vortex, for instance. I think until recently, we just called those cold snaps. LOL Heat domes were heat waves. I suppose these newer terms are descriptive in nature. Polar vortex has to do with weakening of the winds that circle the N. pole at high latitudes, allowing the cold air to "escape" and spread over N. America East of the Rockies. Heat dome I think describes the general shape of the high pressure system within which the heat is contained, a kind of air bubble in the atmosphere.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Queequeg wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:56 pm They've been coining all kinds of novel weather terms lately - polar vortex, for instance. I think until recently, we just called those cold snaps. LOL Heat domes were heat waves. I suppose these newer terms are descriptive in nature. Polar vortex has to do with weakening of the winds that circle the N. pole at high latitudes, allowing the cold air to "escape" and spread over N. America East of the Rockies. Heat dome I think describes the general shape of the high pressure system within which the heat is contained, a kind of air bubble in the atmosphere.
That's abut right. There are two solid reasons for the new terms, though.
Firstly we know far more about the weather systems than we did 30 or 40 years ago so there are more features we can put a name to. :smile:
Secondly, and less happily, new things are happening to our weather as climate change amps up the energy in the system. :crying:

:coffee:
Kim
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

HOT!
Not like Monday, but still hot!
And bonus: "UV is high now at level 7. Limit your time in the sun. UV will be moderate from 5 PM to 6 PM."
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

UV suntan cream is necessity.
reiun

Post by reiun »

master of puppets wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:16 pm UV suntan cream is necessity.
There is no such thing as "uv suntan cream". Suntan cream is designed to actually use UV rays to enhance a tan, and usually has an SPF of less than 15, which isn't enough protection to use as sunscreen.

Sunscreen should be used to provide broad-spectrum coverage (protect against UVA and UVB rays), with an SPF 30 or higher, and water resistance. Sunscreens will prevent tanning and premature aging as well as sunburn.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/sunscree ... 20wrinkles.

Suntan ain't nothin but a bruise.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Miorita wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:25 pm HOT!
Not like Monday, but still hot!
And bonus: "UV is high now at level 7. Limit your time in the sun. UV will be moderate from 5 PM to 6 PM."
Yes, it's uncomfortable and I do sympathise but things could be worse.
The hajj is one of the five pillars of Islam and all Muslims with the means must complete it at least once.
The pilgrimage is increasingly affected by climate change, according to a Saudi study published last month which said temperatures in the area where rituals were performed were rising 0.4 degrees Celsius each decade. Temperatures hit 51.8C at the Grand Mosque in Mecca on Monday, the Saudi national meteorology centre said. ...

At least 550 pilgrims have died during the hajj, with this year's pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia again unfolding amid scorching temperatures.
At least 323 of those who died were Egyptians, most of them succumbing to heat-related illnesses, two Arab diplomats coordinating their countries' responses told AFP.
:reading: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-19/ ... /103995270

51.8 C is 125 F

:thinking:
Kim
master of puppets

Post by master of puppets »

reiun wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:59 pm
master of puppets wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:16 pm UV suntan cream is necessity.
There is no such thing as "uv suntan cream". Suntan cream is designed to actually use UV rays to enhance a tan, and usually has an SPF of less than 15, which isn't enough protection to use as sunscreen.

Sunscreen should be used to provide broad-spectrum coverage (protect against UVA and UVB rays), with an SPF 30 or higher, and water resistance. Sunscreens will prevent tanning and premature aging as well as sunburn.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/sunscree ... 20wrinkles.

Suntan ain't nothin but a bruise.
yes, my call is for those who has problems with their skin. lately I have some and begin to use in sunny days. just for arms now.
Miorita

Post by Miorita »

It's 1:25 pm and we're at 72 degrees, mostly sunny, and have high UV.

My lama is generous. :bow: :bow: :bow:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Only 100 degrees? Here's Las Vegas forecast from this Sunday, June 23 to July 4:
Las Vegas weather.png
Las Vegas weather.png (40.75 KiB) Viewed 139 times
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

65 and partly cloudy here in the Bay Area. It's supposed to get hot over the weekend: we could hit 76 or 77.

Sorry folks. I lived on the east coast for years and don't miss the summers. Especially not now.

Return to “Lounge”