How to Get Rid of Weird Metal Smell From Vajra?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

How to Get Rid of Weird Metal Smell From Vajra?

Post by Tenma »

As the title says, does anyone know how to get rid of that weird metal/brass smell from a vajra and bell set? Recently acquired a set but could not stand the awful metal smell and was curious if anyone had tips on getting rid of it, whether it be by rubbing it with a certain oil (I have a feeling that the supplier I bought it from rubbed something weird on it) or formula, or a different method.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
PadmaVonSamba

Re: How to Get Rid of Weird Metal Smell From Vajra?

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Do you smell it in the metal itself or on your hands after using the objects?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Kalavinka

Post by Kalavinka »

if it is brass then washing it with warm soapy water will fix it temporarily.

If you can’t be bothered to do that from time to time you can seal it with clear nail varnish. However before doing so you may need to clean off any existing sealant. There are loads of guides on how to do this with brass objects online .
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

normally one can get rid of smells using ozone gas, there must be a spry somewhere. For example, cars become odorless by using ozone.

maybe you use a metal cleaner, like brasso and alike.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:20 pm Do you smell it in the metal itself or on your hands after using the objects?
Both, which is why I'm trying to figure out a solution.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Tenma wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:20 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:20 pm Do you smell it in the metal itself or on your hands after using the objects?
Both, which is why I'm trying to figure out a solution.
it’s if a rusty smell?
Quality bell & dorje sets are very often made from a (symbolic) combination of 5 metals. If there is a lot of iron in the alloy, this can react to moisture from your skin, causing minute oxidation (rust) which is not visible but which can be detected as a smell.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I cleaned my vajra and bell with silver-polish. The color changed from dark to golden and the smell was washed away as well.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Ayu wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:59 pm I cleaned my vajra and bell with silver-polish. The color changed from dark to golden and the smell was washed away as well.
Thank you! Just tried this trick with some silver-brass polish before washing in water and dish soap. How often does a vajra and bell set need to be cleaned?
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Tenma wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:35 pm
Ayu wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:59 pm I cleaned my vajra and bell with silver-polish. The color changed from dark to golden and the smell was washed away as well.
Thank you! Just tried this trick with some silver-brass polish before washing in water and dish soap. How often does a vajra and bell set need to be cleaned?
I only cleaned them once. It was like getting aquainted with them. Now they are mine and everything about them is okay.
Vajrasvapna

Post by Vajrasvapna »

Tenma wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:59 pm As the title says, does anyone know how to get rid of that weird metal/brass smell from a vajra and bell set? Recently acquired a set but could not stand the awful metal smell and was curious if anyone had tips on getting rid of it, whether it be by rubbing it with a certain oil (I have a feeling that the supplier I bought it from rubbed something weird on it) or formula, or a different method.
Tutorial to paint metal, maybe help:
## Tutorial: How to Restore Metals with Acrylic Paint

### Materials Needed
1. **Metal sandpaper** (grit 120 and 240)
2. **Rust remover** (such as phosphoric acid or vinegar)
3. **Clean cloth**
4. **Metal primer** (compatible with acrylic paint)
5. **Acrylic paint for metal**
6. **Brushes or small roller**
7. **Acrylic varnish** (optional, for extra protection)
8. **Gloves, safety goggles, and mask**

### Step-by-Step Instructions

#### 1. Preparation
- **Work area**: Choose a well-ventilated area and protect it with newspapers or drop cloths to avoid mess.
- **Safety equipment**: Wear gloves, safety goggles, and a mask.

#### 2. Rust Removal
- **Loose rust**: Use a steel brush or steel wool to remove loose rust and other impurities.
- **Initial sanding**: Use 120-grit sandpaper to remove remaining rust and then 240-grit sandpaper to smooth the surface.
- **Cleaning**: Wipe off dust with a clean, dry cloth.

#### 3. Rust Treatment
- **Rust remover**: Apply as per manufacturer's instructions or soak in vinegar for several hours. Scrub with a steel brush, rinse thoroughly with water, and dry completely.
- **Final cleaning**: Ensure the surface is completely dry and free of residues.

#### 4. Applying Primer
- **Metal primer**: Apply a thin, even coat of primer. This helps the paint adhere and protects against future oxidation.
- **Drying**: Let the primer dry completely (follow manufacturer's instructions, usually 24 hours).

#### 5. Painting with Acrylic Paint
- **Preparing the paint**: If needed, mix the acrylic paint to ensure a consistent texture.
- **Applying the paint**: Using a brush or small roller, apply acrylic paint in thin, even layers.
- **First coat**: Apply the first coat and let it dry completely (check drying time on the paint label, typically a few hours).
- **Second coat**: Apply a second coat for even coverage and let it dry completely.

#### 6. Finishing (Optional)
- **Acrylic varnish**: For extra protection, apply a coat of acrylic varnish after the paint is completely dry. This will give a shiny and durable finish.
- **Final drying**: Allow the varnish to dry completely as per manufacturer's instructions.

### Additional Tips
- **Pre-testing**: Always test the paint and primer on a small area before applying to the entire piece.
- **Maintenance**: To prolong the paint's life, clean the pieces regularly with a damp cloth and avoid strong impacts.

By following this tutorial, your metal vajra and bell will be restored and protected against future rust, while gaining a fresh look with acrylic paint.
stong gzugs

Post by stong gzugs »

If it helps, I try to stay away from any commercial products like Brasso, as they can ruin the finish on brass materials, especially antique ones. What I do whenever I have a new brass/metal dharma object is to make a mixture of vinegar and baking soda, (it'll bubble and sizzle in the right proportions), and then use a little brush to clean the entire thing thoroughly, rinsing it off with water afterwards, before consecrating it. This, in my experience, provides a better clean than just soap without risking any damage to the item.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”