Breathing Method

Da.Ve_8

Breathing Method

Post by Da.Ve_8 »

Hi, I am new to forum.

What is the breathing method when meditating in Zen Buddhism?

If I wrote in the wrong section, please redirect me.
Meido

Re: Breathing Method

Post by Meido »

There is no universal answer. One practices the methods given by one's teacher.

That being said, in the late Song Chan that was transmitted to Japan, breathing centered on the navel center (tanden soku) is a crucial component of practice. There are many methods for cultivating this that train the necessary body usage.

For beginners who have not received such instruction (or brought it to sufficient fruition), the general advice is just to breathe naturally. Of course modern folks in general don't breathe naturally, so some instruction and practice in belly breathing (fukushiki kokyu), i.e. breathing in which the body is corrrectly aligned and sufficiently relaxed such that the diaphragm can freely do its thing, may be needed.
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

Close your eyes in a quiet place and just watch your breath. Breathing in just breath in, breathing out just breathe out. Try not to think. Watch your breath. When you notice you are thinking just return to watching your breath.

When you are new to this practice the mind keeps on thinking about all sorts of things. This wisdom is the monkey wisdom after a while the mind learns to be still. To just follow the breath.

The Master above talks of focusing your mind on your navel, the Hara. That is an excellent way to absorb the discursive mind in deep meditation, this requires deep training too, but should be simple once you have learnt to still and focus your mind.

There is another Teacher on this site called Muni. If you message him he might have time to guide you in meditation. I hope that’s not presumptuous of me.

I hope you find happiness. Thank you Master Meido.

Tom
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
Meido

Post by Meido »

No problem.

Just to clarify, though it may seem like semantics: "focusing the mind" on the hara is not how I would describe that practice. It is rather a learned body usage involving the diaphragm, abdomen, muscles of the pelvic floor and anal sphincter.

Because so much practice these days is, sometimes unknowingly, primarily psychological (or intellectual) rather than what I call psycho-physical, this is a point that needs to be stressed.

But it's all included in the oral instructions one receives from one's teacher. These are not things one can learn on one's own.
White Lotus

Post by White Lotus »

Thank you Master Meido for clarifying.

Rgds, Tom.
in any matters of importance. dont rely on me. i may not know what i am talking about. take what i say as mere speculation. i am not ordained. nor do i have a formal training. i do believe though that if i am wrong on any point. there are those on this site who i hope will quickly point out my mistakes.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Meido wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:21 pm These are not things one can learn on one's own.
But Meido's book can give you a good start.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Return to “Zen”