Contemporary Japanese for understanding

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Namenayo

Contemporary Japanese for understanding

Post by Namenayo »

Hello friends,
This will be my first post on this forum, so I'm quite excited to start the discussion.
I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on serious textbooks for learning Japanese with academic of contemporary Buddhist scholarship understanding and intent in mind. I am located in Japan, and thus have ample opportunity to practice spoken and colloquial language, but that does not mean that my understanding of any contemporary texts is good at all. I am definitely not going to open the can of worms that is traditional Japanese, what with its myriad meanings, but I would very much to like to become more proficient in the written contemporary language. If anyone has any suggestions with this in mind, I would be very appreciative.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Contemporary Japanese for understanding

Post by Queequeg »

A bit dated but, "Reading Japanese" by Jordan and Chapin.
Japanese: The Written Language by Jordan and Noda.
Of course, kanji cards help for memorization.
Since you are there, might be worth enrolling in classes.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Zhen Li

Re: Contemporary Japanese for understanding

Post by Zhen Li »

Assuming the question is one of grammar and vocab, rather than kanji in general, I think it's best just to dive right into the target material. Your understanding won't be (& doesn't have to be) perfect on the first article you read. As you come across words/expressions you don't know, look them up.

Return to “Language”