Rejoicing in the merit of others

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Aemilius

Rejoicing in the merit of others

Post by Aemilius »

I rejoice in the accumulation of merit and wisdom of aryas and ordinary beings.
I rejoice in the wholesome deeds, happiness, fame and success of aryas and ordinary beings.
I rejoice in the practice of six and ten paramitas by aryas and ordinary beings.
I rejoice in the practice of the noble eightfold path by aryas and ordinary beings.
I rejoice in the arising, development, and continuation of bodhichitta, the will to enlightenment.
I rejoice in the purification of ignorance and the three poisons.
I rejoice in the attainment of the stages and fruits of the noble path (arya marga).
I rejoice in the practice of the three trainings (shila, samadhi and prajña).
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Rejoicing in the merit of others

Post by Queequeg »

mudita. perhaps the least appreciated of the brahma viharas.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
genkaku.linrx

Post by genkaku.linrx »

Aemilius wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:33 pm I rejoice in the accumulation of merit and wisdom of aryas and ordinary beings.
I rejoice in the wholesome deeds, happiness, fame and success of aryas and ordinary beings.
I rejoice in the practice of six and ten paramitas by aryas and ordinary beings.
I rejoice in the practice of the noble eightfold path by aryas and ordinary beings.
I rejoice in the arising, development, and continuation of bodhichitta, the will to enlightenment.
I rejoice in the attainment of the stages and fruits of the noble path (arya marga).
Thank you, I echo your noble practices. I rejoice in your wholesome thoughts too. :thumbsup:
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

Aemilius wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:33 pm I rejoice in the accumulation of merit and wisdom of aryas and ordinary beings.
thank you for this!
may I ask for a source? just for personal notes.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

They are my own, based on the teachings found on many sources, like for example the Anumodana or "sympathetic joy", in the Sevenfold supreme worship or Saptavidha-anuttarapūjā, that is found in the works of Nagarjuna, in his Mahayana poetic works, and in the works of many later Mahayana poets and writers like Shantideva and others. Also the commentaries explaining the Sevenfold anuttarapuja.

They are also based on the teachings of the Four Sublime states or the Four Brahma viharas, in which Mudita (altruistic or sympathetic) joy is the third one. These have been taught in the Sutras and Abhidharma texts and in the later works of many authors.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

Aemilius wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:58 am They are my own, based on the teachings found on many sources, like for example the Anumodana or "sympathetic joy", in the Sevenfold supreme worship or Saptavidha-anuttarapūjā, that is found in the works of Nagarjuna, in his Mahayana poetic works, and in the works of many later Mahayana poets and writers like Shantideva and others. Also the commentaries explaining the Sevenfold anuttarapuja.

They are also based on the teachings of the Four Sublime states or the Four Brahma viharas, in which Mudita (altruistic or sympathetic) joy is the third one. These have been taught in the Sutras and Abhidharma texts and in the later works of many authors.
Thank you, very much.

:anjali:
curtstein

Post by curtstein »

Shantideva says somewhere (I will try to look it up) that if you take joy in the happiness of others then you will always be happy yourself. The logic is air-tight, but putting it into practice is easier said than done!
"there's no one here. there's only you and me." leonard cohen
https://www.mindisbuddha.org/
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

If people replaced “I rejoice” with “I’m glad about” would it be the same?

One time a fellow sangha person came up to me and said, “I rejoice in your good merit” which seems like a very convoluted and sort of pompous way to say “I’m really happy that this has gone well for you!”

And if he’d just said that, then I’d say “wow, thanks” in reply. But when he said “I rejoice in…” then it sounds to me as though he’s basically just telling me all about his own “rejoiceful” experience, and my immediate thought is, “yeah, okay, that’s nice. So what?” Because what difference does it make to me if he is rejoicing or not?
Should I now be rejoicing because he is rejoicing?
Then, should he start rejoicing because I’m rejoicing about his rejoicing (and on and on)?

Sorry, that’s just my take on it.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”