Advice on compassionately getting rid of mice in my house

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
KiwiNFLFan

Advice on compassionately getting rid of mice in my house

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

I have been dealing with mice in my house for quite a while (winter has just started here). I've put out live catch traps with peanut butter but the mice don't go for them at all (though I realise that handling them without gloves may have left my scent on them). I also have an ultrasonic repeller that also sends a signal through the wiring that is supposed to repel mice in the walls, but it's not working either.

I have refrained from mentioning this to my landlord, because as far as I know he is not a Buddhist and would most likely try using poison. I do not want to kill or harm the mice, but I want to get rid of them.

What should I do? None of the pest control companies I’ve spoken to in my area offer a "no-kill" service but use poison. If I mention the mice to my landlord and he uses poison against them, would I incur some of the negative karma from that? Would I have a duty to remove the poison to save the lives of the mice?

Honestly, if mice didn't carry disease or chew on electrical cables, I wouldn't actually have a problem sharing my home with them.
jamesrigzin

Re: Advice on compassionately getting rid of mice in my house

Post by jamesrigzin »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:30 am I have been dealing with mice in my house for quite a while (winter has just started here). I've put out live catch traps with peanut butter but the mice don't go for them at all (though I realise that handling them without gloves may have left my scent on them). I also have an ultrasonic repeller that also sends a signal through the wiring that is supposed to repel mice in the walls, but it's not working either.

I have refrained from mentioning this to my landlord, because as far as I know he is not a Buddhist and would most likely try using poison. I do not want to kill or harm the mice, but I want to get rid of them.

What should I do? None of the pest control companies I’ve spoken to in my area offer a "no-kill" service but use poison. If I mention the mice to my landlord and he uses poison against them, would I incur some of the negative karma from that? Would I have a duty to remove the poison to save the lives of the mice?

Honestly, if mice didn't carry disease or chew on electrical cables, I wouldn't actually have a problem sharing my home with them.
That sucks! I can empathize with you on this one. Its tricky, isn’t it?

Could you try smoking them out with a ton of sage? Im trying to think of something that would disturb them enough to leave, but not harm them in any serious way.

I just convinced my partner that I would take the scary daddy long legs outside by hand IF she got rid of the ant poison traps…

🤷🏽‍♂️
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

Could you try smoking them out with a ton of sage? Im trying to think of something that would disturb them enough to leave, but not harm them in any serious way.
Peppermint oil is supposed to be better. Not sure if it would get them to leave though.
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

Hard to get in those cracks and crevices, huh?
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Get a cat?
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

Have you tried doing puja and firmly asking them to leave? I know it sounds crazy, but I have heard of that working.

Is getting a cat an option?
florin

Post by florin »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:30 am I have been dealing with mice in my house for quite a while (winter has just started here). I've put out live catch traps with peanut butter but the mice don't go for them at all (though I realise that handling them without gloves may have left my scent on them). I also have an ultrasonic repeller that also sends a signal through the wiring that is supposed to repel mice in the walls, but it's not working either.

Thishttps://www.amazon.co.uk/WHEELIO-Indoor ... d_source=1
works for us every single time when we have a mice problem.
Peanut butter is what we use as well. But in our situation we only have this issue very occasionally, if you have lots this may not be as efficient. But it is worth a try.
jamesrigzin

Post by jamesrigzin »

florin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:38 am

Thishttps://www.amazon.co.uk/WHEELIO-Indoor ... d_source=1
works for us every single time when we have a mice problem.
Peanut butter is what we use as well. But in our situation we only have this issue very occasionally, if you have lots this may not be as efficient. But it is worth a try.

Nice.

:bow:

Return to “Ethical Conduct”