Removing candle wax from ceramic or resin statues

Pictures of revered teachers, places, rupas, temples, shrine rooms etc. that bring inspiration to our members. Pilgrimage advice etc.
It'sYa1UPBoy

Removing candle wax from ceramic or resin statues

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

Hey! Today, when I was blowing out one of my candles, I blew a bit too hard and got wax on my metal statue. (Now I know why various practice materials say to wave a flame out instead of blowing, hehe...) Thankfully, since the statue in question is smooth and tough and can take a bit of manhandling, I was able to just use wet wipes and a toothpick to get the wax off, scrubbing off the big parts and chipping/scratching off the small bits. However, in the future, if wax were to get on my ceramic statue or resin statue, each with fine details and uneven surfaces, I'm not so sure how to clean those. Google mostly mentions removing wax from cloth, walls, and wood, and when I looked for ceramic removal it mentions stuff like putting the object in the freezer or using a hair dryer on it... Not really something I want to do with such a fragile object if I don't have to, and my freezer is full of food anyways. If anyone here has ever cleaned candle wax off of finely detailed, fragile ceramic and/or resin statues, what methods have worked best for you? I'd like to prepare before anything of the sort happens!

In gassho,

:anjali:
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Removing candle wax from ceramic or resin statues

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Dip in hot water.
You can also pinch the flame with your fingers.
Since the breath is “impure” blowing on a flame is discouraged.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

:anjali:

I definitely intend to do something else next time... Pinching seems like it would be a bit hot but maybe I'm just tender-skinned, haha.
Bristollad

Post by Bristollad »

To avoid future issues you could just buy or make a candle snuffer:

The antidote—to be free from the suffering of samsara—you need to be free from delusion and karma; you need to be free from ignorance, the root of samsara. So you need to meditate on emptiness. That is what you need. Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Return to “Shrine Room”