Taisho Canon Catalogue No. Shingon works

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
VolkerK

Taisho Canon Catalogue No. Shingon works

Post by VolkerK »

I deal with the Taisho Canon and the Shingon works and would like to classify the works on Kukai and other shingon authors in the canon. Are there maybe an overview of the corresponding catalogue numbers of these works? Eg. I'm missing the catalogue No. of Kukais work Jūjūshinron ("The Ten Stages of Consciousness"). I found this englisch translation: https://tibetanbuddhistencyclopedia.com ... 281%29.pdf
Zhen Li

Re: Taisho Canon Catalogue No. Shingon works

Post by Zhen Li »

I may be wrong, but I think the more authoritative source for work on Kukai is the collected works:
『定本弘法大師全集』〈全11巻〉高野山密教文化研究所、1997年完結
But the Taishō versions are probably reliable.

I think primarily, for Kukai, you should look at Taishō volumes 55-58, 61-62 and 77-79.
For Kakuban, vols. 56, 57, 69, 70, and 79.

They have works in these volumes.

十住心論 is in vol. 77, no. 2425.
The commentaries on this text are at nos. 2442 and 2443.

You can search for these in the SAT database (not on CBETA).
VolkerK

Post by VolkerK »

Zhen Li wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:23 am I may be wrong, but I think the more authoritative source for work on Kukai is the collected works:
『定本弘法大師全集』〈全11巻〉高野山密教文化研究所、1997年完結
But the Taishō versions are probably reliable.

I think primarily, for Kukai, you should look at Taishō volumes 55-58, 61-62 and 77-79.
For Kakuban, vols. 56, 57, 69, 70, and 79.

They have works in these volumes.

十住心論 is in vol. 77, no. 2425.
The commentaries on this text are at nos. 2442 and 2443.

You can search for these in the SAT database (not on CBETA).
Thanks for pointing this out. Unfortunately, I can't read and translate the Japanese or Chinese characters. Is there a catalogue or website in transcription or English or other european languages?
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

ZL, a while back you posted links to machine translations of the Tripitaka - I downloaded and looked at some but at the time I was looking at Agamas. Are the Mahayana texts translated also?

OP, I have three English language translations - Hakeda's Kukai Major Works, Eijo Dreitlens Kukai on the Philosophy of Language, and Shingon texts published by BDK. I don't think any of those include the Jujushinron though.

You might reach out to Rev. Eijo Dreitlen for more info.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

I don't believe the Jujushinron has ever been fully translated. Most of the English translations I've seen are rather of the Hizo Hoyaku, the summary that he wrote afterwards. But yeah, Rev. Eijo would be the person to ask.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

VolkerK wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:20 am Thanks for pointing this out. Unfortunately, I can't read and translate the Japanese or Chinese characters. Is there a catalogue or website in transcription or English or other european languages?
Not that I know of...

Sorry. I thought since you said you "deal with the Taisho and Shingon works" you could read Chinese, which I think will be necessary for such work (it's never too late to start learning). If you are classifying these texts, wouldn't you need the Chinese titles?

What kind of information do you need and what king of a catalogue are you making?
Queequeg wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:05 pm ZL, a while back you posted links to machine translations of the Tripitaka - I downloaded and looked at some but at the time I was looking at Agamas. Are the Mahayana texts translated also?
You probably mean the DeepL translations from GitHub. They have the whole Taishō, but unless the reader also knows Chinese, I wouldn't suggest them since they are not accurate enough as-is.

For example, from T947, DeepL does:
無量恒河沙俱知那庾多聲聞。
Countless rhesus kukkuśinayaśas and śrāvakas.

This is a pretty formulaic line, which is easily translated as something like "together with a nayuta of wise śrāvakas, as innumerable as the sands of the Ganges."

The DeepL, except for the rhesus, makes it sound like there's something technical in there that is genuinely Sanskritic/Buddhist, when really it's just making stuff up. So, I don't suggest anyone use these unless they can read the Chinese because they'll be reading a lot of good translation mixed with a lot of nonsense.
VolkerK

Post by VolkerK »

Zhen Li wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:58 pm Not that I know of...

Sorry. I thought since you said you "deal with the Taisho and Shingon works" you could read Chinese, which I think will be necessary for such work (it's never too late to start learning). If you are classifying these texts, wouldn't you need the Chinese titles?

What kind of information do you need and what king of a catalogue are you making?
Thanks for the hints und help. I am working on an overview of the Taisho Tripitaka works, where I would like to record the titles of the works in Sanskrit, Chinese, Tibetan, Japanese and English and link to existing translations in the European language. For the works from T2185 onwards, I still need corresponding information about the title of the work in Sanskrit, Japanese transliteration, etc.
https://buddha-kanon.de/list-of-taisho- ... ka-titles/
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

That should be quite useful. I think you can probably figure out how to translate the SAT pages and locate the titles and look up the meanings of the names. No one has done this before in English, so I think it probably needs to be done from scratch.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Zhen Li wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:42 am That should be quite useful. I think you can probably figure out how to translate the SAT pages and locate the titles and look up the meanings of the names. No one has done this before in English, so I think it probably needs to be done from scratch.
I imagine this has been done in Japanese? Maybe it would be easier to find a Japanese study that has connected the Chinese name with the Sanskrit? and translate/augment that? Also, though, it might be obvious, the Taisho Canon has Chinese and Japanese commentaries which would not have Sanskrit names. As well as sutras that have no Indian antecedent.

You might want to find an English speaking Japanese Buddhism scholar and ask them if they know of such a work - I think a lot of the heavy lifting for this project has already been done - connecting Chinese/Japanese to Sanskrit. You could probably find an East Asian Buddhism listserv or, my wife suggested there is a facebook page of Buddhism scholars.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Queequeg wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:28 pm
Zhen Li wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:42 am That should be quite useful. I think you can probably figure out how to translate the SAT pages and locate the titles and look up the meanings of the names. No one has done this before in English, so I think it probably needs to be done from scratch.
I imagine this has been done in Japanese? Maybe it would be easier to find a Japanese study that has connected the Chinese name with the Sanskrit? and translate/augment that? Also, though, it might be obvious, the Taisho Canon has Chinese and Japanese commentaries which would not have Sanskrit names. As well as sutras that have no Indian antecedent.

You might want to find an English speaking Japanese Buddhism scholar and ask them if they know of such a work - I think a lot of the heavy lifting for this project has already been done - connecting Chinese/Japanese to Sanskrit. You could probably find an East Asian Buddhism listserv or, my wife suggested there is a facebook page of Buddhism scholars.
Well, the volumes in question contain only works that were composed in Japan, so the names in the Taishō TOC are all that a Japanese or Chinese scholar would need — no Sanskrit involved.

I did Vol. 56 the other day; it took a long time, though.

Vol 56

2185. Commentary on the Śrīmālādevīsiṃhanāda-sūtra (Prince Shōtoku)
2186. Commentary on the Vimalakīrtinirdeśa-sūtra (Prince Shōtoku)
2187. Commentary on the Lotus Sūtra (Prince Shōtoku)
2188. Brief Commentary on the Lotus Sūtra (Myō-itsu)
2189. Explication of the Lotus Sūtra (Chūzan)
2190. Interpretation of the Title of the Lotus Sutra (Kūkai)
2191. Secret Commentary on the Lotus Sūtra (Kakuban)
2192. Brief Commentary on the Lotus Sutra Explaining the Entry into the Mantra Gate Way that Enters into Seeing things as they Are (Enchin)
2193. Commentary on the Sūtra of Innumerable Meanings (Saichō)
2194. Commentary on the Sūtra of the Practices of Samantabhadra (Enchin)
2195. Elucidation of the Lotus Sutra, Innumerable Meanings Sutra, and the Sutra of the Practices of Samantabhadra (Jōkei)
2196. Mysterious Pivot of the Golden Light Sutra (Gangyō)
2197. Explanation of the Golden Light Sutra (Myō-itsu)
2198. The Wings and Feet of the Golden Light Sutra (Hyōbi)
2199. Interpretation of the Title of the Golden Light Sutra and the Secret Gāthā of the Golden Light Sūtra (Kūkai)
2200. Interpretation of the Title of the Humane Kings Sūtra (Kūkai)

Also, I think this is of limited value without further information about their contents. I began a Wikipedia article on the Āgama section that provides more detail, but it looks like some zealous editors are complaining that it isn't comprehensible, so perhaps there needs to be some kind of platform to host this information (maybe I should make it on my own website):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%80gama_Section
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Did a bit more today. Some of the names may be wrong. It takes a long time to verify everything.

Here's Vol 57

2201. Interpretation of the Title of the Vajracchedikā Prajñāpāramitā Sūtra (Kūkai)
2202. Exposition of the Meaning of the Heart Sūtra (Chikō)
2203A. Secret Key to the Heart Sūtra (Kūkai)
2203B. Brief Commentary on the Secret Key to the Heart Sūtra (Kakuban)
2204. The Secrets of the Key to the Heart Sūtra Explained (Saisen)
2205. Compiled Explanations on the Huayan Sūtra (Tan'ei)
2206A. Pronunciations and Meanings of the New Translation of the Flower Ornament Sutra (Kikai)
2206B. Pronunciations and Meanings of the Old Translation of the Flower Ornament Sutra (Kikai)
2207. Collected Sound and Meaning of the Three Pure Land Sūtras (Shinzui)
2208A. Doubts Concerning the Pure Land (Ken'i)
2208B. Notes on Wise Questions and Foolish Answers on the Contemplation Sūtra (Shōnin)
2208C. Research on Clumsy Doubts and Skilful Answers on the Meaning of the Contemplation Sūtra (Ken'i)
2209. Comprehensive Records on the Commentary of the Contemplation Sūtra (Ryōchū)
2210. Brief Notes on the Amitābha Sūtra (Genshin)

Vol 58

2211. Interpretation of the Title of the Mahāvairocana Sūtra (Kūkai)
2212. Guide to the Mahāvairocana Sūtra (Enchin)
2212. Outline of the Heart of the Mahāvairocana Accomplishment Sūtra (Author Unspecified)
2213. Annotation on the Sublime Seal of the Mahāvairocana Sūtra (Yūhan)
2214. Oral Transmission of the Annotation on the Sublime Seal of the Mahāvairocana Sūtra (Yūhan)
2215. Private Notes on the Commentary of the Mahāvairocana Sūtra on the Chapter of Abiding in the Mind (Saisen)

Vol 59

2216. Compiled Secrets of the Commentary on the Mahāvairocana Sūtra (Gōhō)
2217. Notes on the Heart of the Commentary on the Mahāvairocana Sūtra (Raiyu)

Vol 60

2218. Commentary Notes on the Mahāvairocana Sūtra (Yūkai)
2219. Private Notes on the Commentary of the Mahāvairocana Sūtra on the Chapter of Abiding in the Mind (Danjaku)
2220. Private Notes on the Commentary on the Ritual Procedures of Offerings in the Mahāvairocana Sūtra (Yūhan)

Vol 61

2221. Interpretation of the Title of the Vajraśekhara Sūtra (Kūkai)
2222. Interpretation of the Title of the Dharmarāja Sūtra (Kūkai)
2223. Commentary on the Vajraśekhara and Great Dharmarāja Sūtra (Ennin)
2224. Exposition of the Verses of the Vajraśekhara Sūtra (Raison)
2225. Private Notes on the Vajraśekhara and Great Dharmarāja Sūtra (Danjaku)
2226. Sequential Exposition of the Text of the Thirty-Folio Dharmarāja Sūtra (Gōhō)
2227. Brief Commentary on the Suśiddhikara Sūtra (Ennin)
2228. Practice Methods of the Vajraśekhara Tower All-Yogas Sūtra (Annen)
2229. General Yoga Private Notes (Shinjaku)
2230. Brief Explanation of the Meaning of the Bodhi-maṇḍa Sūtra (Enchin)
2231. Explanation of the Rituals of the Lotus Womb Realm (Shinkō)
2232. Private Notes on the Brahmā-vajra-dharma(?) (Shinkō)
2233. Interpretation of the Title of the Great Buddha Uṣṇīṣa Sūtra (Kūkai)
2234. Commentary on the Great Buddha Uṣṇīṣa Dhāraṇī (Nanchū)
2235. Examination Notes on the Great Buddha Uṣṇīṣa Tathāgata’s Radiance Siddhaṃ Dhāraṇī (Myōkaku)
2236. Interpretation of the Title of the Tattvartha Sūtra (Kūkai)
2237. Exposition of the Real Truth Sūtra Verses (Kūkai)
2238. Seed Syllable Explanation of the Prajñāpāramitā-naya Sūtra (Kakuban)
2239. Exposition of the Meaning of the Mahāsukha Sūtra (Saisen)
2240. Commentary on the Explanation of the Prajñāpāramitā-naya Sūtra (Author Unspecified)
2241. Explanation of the Secret Essentials of the Prajñāpāramitā-naya Sūtra (Gōhō, Kenpō)
2242. Examination Notes on the Mahāpratisarā Dhāraṇī (Myōkaku)
2243. Exposition of the Twenty-Eight Assemblies of the Sahasrahasta Sūtra (Jōshin)
2244. Sound and Meaning of the Mahāmāyūrī-vidyārājñī Sūtra (Kanjō)
2245. Exposition of the Phrasal Meaning of the Mantra of Light in the Great Abhiṣekha of Vairocana Buddha as transmitted by Amoghavajra (Kōben)
Qupere

Post by Qupere »

Genjo Conan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:47 pm I don't believe the Jujushinron has ever been fully translated. Most of the English translations I've seen are rather of the Hizo Hoyaku, the summary that he wrote afterwards. But yeah, Rev. Eijo would be the person to ask.
I think so, too.
VolkerK

Post by VolkerK »

Zhen Li wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:19 am Did a bit more today. Some of the names may be wrong. It takes a long time to verify everything.

Here's Vol 57
Thank you very much! Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu

Return to “Sūtra Studies”