Nianfoji from Hwadzan --- battery power?

It'sYa1UPBoy

Nianfoji from Hwadzan --- battery power?

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

I asked Hwadzan for a statue and some books and after placing my order I realized they have nianfoji (https://fabo.hwadzan.com/Fabo?Type=1&style=51 for reference). Next time I order something from them, I'll get a nianfoji and some more books. However, some of them are the kinds you plug into the wall and one is solar-powered... Some of them are also flat and have little belt clips or lanyard holes, so I was wondering if those ones use batteries. The pictures don't really show the backs of the devices, so I can't tell if they have a battery compartment. If anybody else has gotten a nianfoji from Hwadzan, can you tell me if the small, thin ones use batteries (and if so, what kinds do they use)? I don't want to buy an expensive adapter for my American outlets, but I do want something I can use in the house, and according to Google, batteries are globally standardized. I'd assume the flat ones do use batteries since they don't have voltages listed, but I'd rather not ask for one and then it come and I can't use it because I don't have a 240V adapter.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Nianfoji from Hwadzan --- battery power?

Post by Kim O'Hara »

New to me so I looked them up out of idle curiosity. Going by this - https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/f ... -nianfoji/ - the ones with a lanyard are intended to be worn around the pilgrim's (user's) neck so they must be battery powered.

:coffee:
Kim
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

I had a couple of these from Taiwan years ago. I never saw ones with the plug, and solar panel is a neat new innovation (imagine that, using light to recite the name of the Buddha of Infinite Light!).

I think you can see the word 插座 in one of them, which means outlet. So that one uses an outlet. Also, it looks like 灰色大台念佛機 has a plug. I imagine the others are battery or solar-powered.

By the way, anything from Taiwan or Japan will work on US & Canadian outlets. They are the same plugs with the same voltage (110-120V), though many Japanese plugs are even lower (100V).
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

When the batteries die, since they did all the work, do they go to the pure land?
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Zhen Li wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:41 am ...By the way, anything from Taiwan or Japan will work on US & Canadian outlets. They are the same plugs with the same voltage (110-120V), though many Japanese plugs are even lower (100V).
10% difference in the input voltage shouldn't hurt any device.

Kim
It'sYa1UPBoy

Post by It'sYa1UPBoy »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:04 am When the batteries die, since they did all the work, do they go to the pure land?
Hehe, maybe if they make batteries with bio-components? I'm not sure batteries, as they are, are sentient creatures, but who knows?
Zhen Li wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:41 am I had a couple of these from Taiwan years ago. I never saw ones with the plug, and solar panel is a neat new innovation (imagine that, using light to recite the name of the Buddha of Infinite Light!).

I think you can see the word 插座 in one of them, which means outlet. So that one uses an outlet. Also, it looks like 灰色大台念佛機 has a plug. I imagine the others are battery or solar-powered.

By the way, anything from Taiwan or Japan will work on US & Canadian outlets. They are the same plugs with the same voltage (110-120V), though many Japanese plugs are even lower (100V).
Yes, 插座式念佛機, 白瓷阿彌陀佛念佛機, and 灰色大台念佛機 use plugs, and then 助念念佛機(此法寶限團體、單位、寺院等申請一台) seems to be a speaker model for temples (which I would not be allowed to order anyways). 白瓷阿彌陀佛念佛機 and 灰色大台念佛機 say:
變壓器 (ADAPTOR): Input AC100-240V
Ouput 9V/500 mA
which is why I was concerned. I do actually know Japanese stuff works on US outlets because of a Tamagotchi I ordered that uses a rechargeable battery--- it charges a bit faster than the official estimate due to the slightly higher voltage here. I wasn't sure about Taiwanese items since the pages listed 100-240V. I wonder if the (ADAPTOR) means they'll send you an adapter if you live in a 2#0V region. Those babies can get pretty darn expensive, so I'd be a bit surprised if they did. Maybe it means it has an adapter built in... But if Taiwanese stuff uses 1#0V anyways then I can get an outlet model... Though I might get a battery model anyways for when I'm sitting outside and relaxing. Not sure, but my options are broader now, so thanks for the tip!

As for the solar-powered model, I think it's lovely too. I totally didn't think of the Buddha of Light association until you mentioned it, hehe~ The note on its page says not to use it in public so you don't disturb people, which I think is very considerate. It even seems to have a stem where you can put it in the ground, though that does mean you can't just sit it in the windowsill (unless the stem is detachable and I just didn't realize it).
Kim O'Hara wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:46 pm New to me so I looked them up out of idle curiosity. Going by this - https://www.buddhistdoor.net/features/f ... -nianfoji/ - the ones with a lanyard are intended to be worn around the pilgrim's (user's) neck so they must be battery powered.

Kim
I figured as much, but I wasn't entirely sure, so I figured I'd ask, haha.
10% difference in the input voltage shouldn't hurt any device.

Kim
Can confirm, at most it means rechargeable devices charge faster, which is always a plus in my eyes.
The Jester of Qi

Post by The Jester of Qi »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:04 am When the batteries die, since they did all the work, do they go to the pure land?
I’m now wondering if anyone had made a hamster prayer wheel…
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

It'sYa1UPBoy wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:41 am
變壓器 (ADAPTOR): Input AC100-240V
Ouput 9V/500 mA
which is why I was concerned. I do actually know Japanese stuff works on US outlets because of a Tamagotchi I ordered that uses a rechargeable battery--- it charges a bit faster than the official estimate due to the slightly higher voltage here. I wasn't sure about Taiwanese items since the pages listed 100-240V. I wonder if the (ADAPTOR) means they'll send you an adapter if you live in a 2#0V region. Those babies can get pretty darn expensive, so I'd be a bit surprised if they did. Maybe it means it has an adapter built in... But if Taiwanese stuff uses 1#0V anyways then I can get an outlet model... Though I might get a battery model anyways for when I'm sitting outside and relaxing. Not sure, but my options are broader now, so thanks for the tip!
Generally when it says AC 100-240V input adapter, it means you can plug it in anywhere from a Japanese 100V plug to a UK 240V plug, without having any risk of fire. The adapter is usually either within the device or connected to the cable (it's the boxes you see on laptop cables, for instance). Most regular small electronics have this kind of adapter, and you usually only need a heavy duty step-up/step-down power adapter for appliances (e.g. we used one for a Japanese rice cooker in the UK).

Return to “Pure Land”