Application of Dharma

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
symbolicguru

Application of Dharma

Post by symbolicguru »

My mission is to reduce suffering in the society and inspire others to see value in Buddhism. I have been successful in applying some of the Buddhist concepts in my own life and reduce my suffering, however, I fall short when it comes to bringing others on the same page.

I may have some unorthodox and perspective-changing ideas about applying Dharma in everyday life. However, I have received a feedback that these may be difficult to accept.

How should I proceed in this case?
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Application of Dharma

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

symbolicguru wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:30 am My mission is to reduce suffering in the society and inspire others to see value in Buddhism. I have been successful in applying some of the Buddhist concepts in my own life and reduce my suffering, however, I fall short when it comes to bringing others on the same page.

I may have some unorthodox and perspective-changing ideas about applying Dharma in everyday life. However, I have received a feedback that these may be difficult to accept.

It’s probably just that other thing
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
symbolicguru

Post by symbolicguru »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:27 am
symbolicguru wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:30 am My mission is to reduce suffering in the society and inspire others to see value in Buddhism. I have been successful in applying some of the Buddhist concepts in my own life and reduce my suffering, however, I fall short when it comes to bringing others on the same page.

This does not help. If you are implying anything I don't follow you.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

Perhaps it would be helpful to post your idea instead of talking about having it.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

You don't need to get people on the same page. And they don't need you getting them on the same page.

Just practice and if people are inspired by you they will emulate you. Maybe after enough years of being a student, you can teach. On that note, are these ideas the perfection of something you learned from a Buddhist teacher or just some inspiration you found? We have enough self proclaimed gurus running around in the world, some making a positive difference, some making a negative one. Buddhadharma is a lineage tradition. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from harvesting ideas and making self-help books. Bookstore shelves are full of that stuff.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

symbolicguru wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:48 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:27 am

This does not help. If you are implying anything I don't follow you.
I was simply offering an unorthodox and perspective-changing reply.

Aside from that, your question is really vague. Who can tell what you are referring to?
It could be anything.

Generally, Buddhism and evangelizing don’t mix, and doesn’t work. You can make the Dharma teachings available to everyone, but people will only go to them when they are at a point in life that makes them open to the Dharma teachings.
It’s like bees going to flowers.
EMPTIFUL.
symbolicguru

Post by symbolicguru »

It's really funny. Everyone wants to see change in the World. But when someone tries to create this change, people discourage him. Better for him to feel free by himself.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

symbolicguru wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:14 pm Everyone wants to see change in the World. But when someone tries to create this change, people discourage him.
Can you give a specific example?
EMPTIFUL.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”