Meditation Burnout

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
master of puppets

Re: Meditation Burnout

Post by master of puppets »

Acrually, the same thing (the reply, the answer whatever); can some time be wrong sometime become true. ı think we can't speak here about an absolute truth. and ı can understand that as a fineness or keenness of bodhicitta.

my advice would be forget (about) practicing while practicing. It should be that usual. possible if you see practicing mind is empty. and empty is actually empty.

/\
Last edited by master of puppets on Sat May 04, 2024 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

master of puppets wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:42 pm forget (about) practicing while practicing.
Exactly!
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Jelarnik wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:14 am Tingzdin, I agree mostly, I believe I have my autonomic nervous system a bit closed after the death of my cat. Even though I'd say I'm psychologically fine, something biological have shut itself? After research this is a video I found '''' I hope it's ok to share the link, if not I hope this reply is not approved of.

ps: Perhaps I don't have problems with dopamine etc. afterall. Therefore, like a plant that closes itself, I might have the same thing happening to me. This reminds me of pineal glands closing or reducing their function after trauma kinds of situations. It made me think maybe this is how fascism begins, maybe it starts biologically, not ideologically. More extreme of this, I'm sure vigilance becoming hypervigilance, fear etc. Leads to bad roads. This is my commentary on the situation. :sage: :juggling: :shrug:

Maybe I had to name it meditation blockages. Because there is a decent/high chance that where I am coming from, is not the result of too much work, I had been fine with 3 hours of meditation for more than months at a time, but this tells me, and the experience of other monks who meditate for hours without burning out, being in amazing brain shape, that it is a different blockage.

What do you guys think? Burnout or blockage? Or there is nothingness only, and you cannot be blocked from the biological, psychological and spiritual process of meditation?

Respectfully yours, thank you for everyone participating, helping and maybe observing from distance.
I think you should probably get a teacher at this point. You are just losing yourself in concepts with this approach.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Jelarnik wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:22 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:01 pm
Jelarnik wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:23 am I feel better, yesterday 1.38 hours, today just 48 min in the morning but feel good, I'd see the rest of the day as well.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
Just sit!
:thinking:
For how long should I sit? But life also demands that I stand up and move for my survival!
You are looking for exact detailed instructions for every little step before you even move a muscle.
Stop doing that. Stop trying to nail everything down and trying to make it all tight and secure.
Otherwise, you are just winding things up tighter and tighter when you should be allowing things to be more relaxed and loose.

This is like the person who studies rock climbing and fills their backpack with 50 pounds of rock climbing instruction books before they even begin because they are afraid of making mistakes. Carrying all that weight is already the first mistake.
EMPTIFUL.
Jelarnik

Post by Jelarnik »

''It is easy to get to the top, it is very hard to stay there'' -Anonymous.

There is a TLDR at the bottom. Also like with regards to trauma and stuff, that's just a theory, and not a theory as solid as gravity or evolution or that sort of stuff. It is a tendency, it should not %100 block people even though it should effect (personal thoughts, but I dropped that video so I don't want to create confusion). If anything it confirmed your teachings, just described a different part of it in scientific terms. And I questioned if I was too much like that. (more and more time passes, I start to believe it, open to your experience, but it should be another post I think, unless you briefly described it 1 sentence I think.)

In order to stay there, on the peak of my meditation practice, what might work is: Change my meditation practice into standing meditation from sitting. Integrate asana or taichi sort of practices into the meditation, still keep the meditation while doing these things to relieve the body. I believe this is better compared to fighting the body to sit down. A machine which was not built to sit down, maybe is not meant to be forced into sitting down. Perhaps it is not meditation I struggle with, but sitting. And sometimes just keeping the body still too much is a hindrance to me.

At least, in time, I'll know if it was my body that was causing the most amount of friction and hindrance, or straight up ego. And than it is easier and simpler. This is what I came to accept, this is the way for me. My body was built to move, keeping it still too much seems bad... Depends on what kind of rpm the system has I suppose, if it's really low then I take it sitting becomes more enjoyable, and if it is high, like a high-performance athlete sort of body, I suspect physical inactivity or wrong kind of activity is undue and tear on the body.

These are my thoughts, I believe I was as accurate as I can.

I'd like to with compassion, apologize for any misunderstandings I'll cause, actually your teachings are built on top of each other and they lead to success, and I don't judge them. But try to understand my pov, philosophical people teaching me that I don't exist therefore ''I'' cannot suffer, while my objective really is to meditate.

in the meanwhile I try to appreciate the time I have, and enjoy going to the sleep, we don't know if we will wake up and have more days. :yinyang:

TL;DR
I am looking for a more comfortable meditation practice which takes physical limitations into account and considering these options: (monkey mind is strong this week, and the human body is hurting also)

Standing meditation: I'll see if it helps me stay focused compared to sitting.
Movement in meditation: Integrating practices like Asana or Tai Chi might keep one engaged and relieve discomfort.
Focusing on your body: I suspect the body's natural state might be hindering meditation, not the resistance to the practice itself.
I don't judge the teachings, but I need to work with the needs of my body.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Jelarnik wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:34 pm '
In order to stay there, on the peak of my meditation practice
Why the giant text?
There is no such thing as “peak” of meditation practice.

If you don’t mind my asking,
any OCD or bipolar stuff going on here?
EMPTIFUL.
Jelarnik

Post by Jelarnik »

This video might help for anyone else struggling.

I have not changed the technique, I changed the position and seems better now. (Seiza position, supported by cushions). Emptying the mind from the day before also seems to help? :meditate:

Return to “Meditation”