Introducing myself, not a buddhist but I do find certain aspects of buddhism compelling

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Your Construct

Introducing myself, not a buddhist but I do find certain aspects of buddhism compelling

Post by Your Construct »

Hi. I'm "Your Construct". I was born into Roman Catholicism. I eventually became an atheist. I do have an advanced degree in the STEM fields. However, recent developments have led me to conclude there are higher powers in our reality and so I no longer consider myself an atheist. I would consider myself currently agnostic. As I said in the title, I am not a buddhist but there are definitely some aspects of buddhism that I do find compelling. I am also looking into the possibility and doing my own research that Jesus may have traveled to Asia and studied buddhism. I am referring to the original teachings of Jesus and not the corrupt version we have today that the Catholic church advocates.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Introducing myself, not a buddhist but I do find certain aspects of buddhism compelling

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Your Construct wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:29 pm Hi. I'm "Your Construct". I was born into Roman Catholicism. I eventually became an atheist. I do have an advanced degree in the STEM fields. However, recent developments have led me to conclude there are higher powers in our reality and so I no longer consider myself an atheist. I would consider myself currently agnostic. As I said in the title, I am not a buddhist but there are definitely some aspects of buddhism that I do find compelling. I am also looking into the possibility and doing my own research that Jesus may have traveled to Asia and studied buddhism. I am referring to the original teachings of Jesus and not the corrupt version we have today that the Catholic church advocates.
It’s funny how different fields are lumped together under the heading “STEM” as though somehow whatever similarities they share that would allow them to be grouped together in the first place. Groupings are something that we impute. It’s like calling apples and oranges “fruit”. Yes, they are fruit but only because we have invented the abstract concept of “fruit” as a category, and then placed various different tree growths into it.

Lumping various philosophical and belief systems together may lead one to assume parallels as significant when perhaps they are insignificant coincidences.

Welcome to this forum!
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
TheMahayanist

Re: Introducing myself, not a buddhist but I do find certain aspects of buddhism compelling

Post by TheMahayanist »

Your Construct wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:29 pm As I said in the title, I am not a buddhist but there are definitely some aspects of buddhism that I do find compelling. I am also looking into the possibility and doing my own research that Jesus may have traveled to Asia and studied buddhism. I am referring to the original teachings of Jesus and not the corrupt version we have today that the Catholic church advocates.
I recommend reading Rene Salm. I don't think you can find connections between Christianity or Buddhism without reference to his work.
Ophidian Rainbow

Post by Ophidian Rainbow »

TheMahayanist wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:41 pm I recommend reading Rene Salm. I don't think you can find connections between Christianity or Buddhism without reference to his work.
What an amazing thing to stumble upon this comment of yours. Thank you so much! I would've never found this absolute treasure-trove by myself. Awesome.

:thanks:
Ophidian Rainbow

Post by Ophidian Rainbow »

Your Construct wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:29 pm Hi. I'm "Your Construct". I was born into Roman Catholicism. I eventually became an atheist. I do have an advanced degree in the STEM fields. However, recent developments have led me to conclude there are higher powers in our reality and so I no longer consider myself an atheist. I would consider myself currently agnostic. As I said in the title, I am not a buddhist but there are definitely some aspects of buddhism that I do find compelling. I am also looking into the possibility and doing my own research that Jesus may have traveled to Asia and studied buddhism. I am referring to the original teachings of Jesus and not the corrupt version we have today that the Catholic church advocates.
Welcome :)

In case Buddhism seems to daunting/overwhelming for you at first, perhaps it would be an idea to give the psychoanalytic theories of Carl Jung a shot. His father was a pastor, but Jung himself took a different route; he dedicated his life to getting to know 'the divine' through personal experience rather than to sticking to ancient scripture.

Wishing you all the best in your spiritual searching. Buddhism is well worth your time and attention. And if it really starts to stick, you could always plan to take refuge and get 'serious' about practice.

:namaste:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DW!

Your Construct

Post by Your Construct »

TheMahayanist wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:41 pm I recommend reading Rene Salm. I don't think you can find connections between Christianity or Buddhism without reference to his work.
Thank you, I will look into him.
Linguistic Mystic

Post by Linguistic Mystic »

A warm welcome. I hope you find what you're looking for.
justsit

Post by justsit »

You may also want to explore the works of Thomas Merton, a Cistercian monk who studied Buddhism and wrote a number of interesting treatises on the subject. I began my own spiritual journey as a Roman Catholic, and was later greatly influenced by Merton as I developed an interest in dharma.

Return to “Introductions”