How would you translate "Good perseverance / diligence" into Tibetan?

Looking for translations, or for help with translations and transliterations? This is the place.
Jacobcz

How would you translate "Good perseverance / diligence" into Tibetan?

Post by Jacobcz »

Hello,

maybe someone can help.

1)
How would you translate "Good perseverance / Good diligence" (as in 4th Paramita) into Tibetan?
I tried to use an online dictionary, but without knowing Tibetan much, the results were too ambiguous.

2)
And my second question is whether you know about anyone with this name in Tibetan history?

I understand this is a bit odd question, but thanks for your help if you can.
Jacobcz
Punya

Re: How would you translate "Good perseverance / diligence" into Tibetan?

Post by Punya »

Hello Jacobcz

If you don't know the Tibetan, there are often ways of finding out. In this case, I just searched "paramitas wikipedia". The result gave me the Tibetan and Wylie for the 4th paramita, which I then checked at https://www.thlib.org/reference/diction ... nslate.php. After that https://www.thlib.org/reference/transli ... verter.php can be used to get the transliteration / phonetics.

So in answer to your first question:

Tibetan: བརྩོན་འགྲུས - Wylie: brtson ’grus - Transliteration: tsön drü

I hope this helps.

Punya
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
nyamlae

Post by nyamlae »

Jacobcz wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:25 am Hello,

maybe someone can help.

1)
How would you translate "Good perseverance / Good diligence" (as in 4th Paramita) into Tibetan?
I tried to use an online dictionary, but without knowing Tibetan much, the results were too ambiguous.

2)
And my second question is whether you know about anyone with this name in Tibetan history?

Jacobcz
It would be བརྩོན་འགྲུས་བཟང་པོ་, which is pronounced roughly like Tsondru Zangpo in Central Tibetan. This was the name of Thangtong Gyalpo, the iron bridge builder.
ཨ་ཀུ་ཧ་ྈྐ།
ཨི་ཙུ་ཡ་ཤ།
རྀ་ཊུ་ར་ཥ།
ལྀ་ཏུ་ལ་ས།
ཨུ་པུ་ཝ་ྉྤ།

https://tibetanlanguage.school/
Jacobcz

Post by Jacobcz »

Punya wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:45 am Hello Jacobcz

If you don't know the Tibetan, there are often ways of finding out. In this case, I just searched "paramitas wikipedia". The result gave me the Tibetan and Wylie for the 4th paramita, which I then checked at https://www.thlib.org/reference/diction ... nslate.php. After that https://www.thlib.org/reference/transli ... verter.php can be used to get the transliteration / phonetics.

So in answer to your first question:

Tibetan: བརྩོན་འགྲུས - Wylie: brtson ’grus - Transliteration: tsön drü

I hope this helps.

Punya
Hello Punya,

many thanks for your help. What I learnt from you and did not know before was the tool the gives you tibetan phonetics from wylie transliteration, that is immensely helpful for now and for the future.

For the question I had, my main problem was not finding out how to say the 4th paramita in tibetan - as you well pointed out, it can be easily found out through google.

My main problem, and I probably did not explain it too well, was which type of "good" to connect to it because the online tibetan dictionaries are giving me various versions/synonyms for "good" and I did not know which one should be used here. And secondly, how to convert it into a name.

Fortunately nyamlae below was able to go this step further and suggested it should be "Tsondru Zangpo", which apparently was one of the names of Thangtong Gyalpo, which is exactly what I needed.

Many thanks for your input, learning about the phonetics tools was immensely helpful for my future work with texts and sadhanas.

Jacobcz
Jacobcz

Post by Jacobcz »

nyamlae wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:21 am
Jacobcz wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:25 am Hello,

maybe someone can help.

1)

2)

Jacobcz
It would be བརྩོན་འགྲུས་བཟང་པོ་, which is pronounced roughly like Tsondru Zangpo in Central Tibetan. This was the name of Thangtong Gyalpo, the iron bridge builder.
nyamlae, thank you so much, exactly what I wanted! Much appreciate your help and answering all my questions, great work :applause:

Return to “Language”