Negative energy

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
master of puppets

Negative energy

Post by master of puppets »

İf I come across a/any negative energy, what should ı do?
since it is not easy to turn out people this characteristic to positive,
turn out and go could be an option?
could choose to stay always in positive way or side in any position could be a Buddhist life style?

what are your thoughts?

thnks,
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Negative energy

Post by Ayu »

"If you cannot help, at least do not harm", my teacher told me.
So, if being with certain people harms me, if I cannot stay chilled, I leave. It's always the best solution.

But: I don't believe in "negative energy" - it's only absence of positive energy.
-20°C is no negative energy, it's just the absence of warmth.
This means, negative people are missing something. Either I can handle that (then I'll try to help them or at least accept them) or I can't stand them (then it's best to leave).
Possibly it's even only my perception and those people are not even that bad. Then it's even better to leave them alone.

It's never a good idea to try to change others against their own will.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

master of puppets wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:20 pm İf I come across a/any negative energy, what should ı do?
could choose to stay always in positive way or side in any position could be a Buddhist life style?

what are your thoughts?

thnks,
Define energy.

There is no native concept of "energy" in Buddhism.

In concrete terms, what are you referring to? A specific feeling? A kind of intentionality?
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Yes, this is a very big question. "Negative energy" could cover a lot of things, and these might not all call for the same response.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

master of puppets wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:20 pm İf I come across a/any negative energy, what should ı do?
That is one of the the most vague questions
I have ever read.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
master of puppets

Zhen Li wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:36 pm

what are your thoughts?

thnks,
Define energy.

There is no native concept of "energy" in Buddhism.

In concrete terms, what are you referring to? A specific feeling? A kind of intentionality?
I refer to those whose actions are not in harmony with me. they usually have ill will.

but as ayu said this doesn't mean they do not want peace and harmony.

but mostly you become face to face with bad when it happens to you.

really there are different character of people. sometimes or in many times what you call good can become/turn into bad. you have to be a professional or in Buddhist terms an expert (who has bodhicitta) to be able to discriminate it.

on the other hand ı have no personal problem with those who always talk or see negative. may be with those who do it consciously. like a part time job. hate it.

we say light. nothing can be more positive than what Buddhism refers. and thinks.
Last edited by master of puppets on Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
master of puppets

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:22 pm
That is one of the the most vague questions
I have ever read.
thank you 😃
:thumbsup:
master of puppets

tingdzin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:09 pm Yes, this is a very big question. "Negative energy" could cover a lot of things, and these might not all call for the same response.
if ı haven't some Buddhist insight ı can make fight with them day and night.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

master of puppets wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:30 pm if ı haven't some Buddhist insight ı can make fight with them day and night.
Maybe some Buddhist insight:
When you experience a feeling of bad harmony between you and another person,

There are 2 things happening:

1. The circumstances that create the experience. For example, if someone insults you. That is something you have no control over because it is someone else’s actions.

2. What you experience. This means your feelings and emotions. This is what you have control over. So, this is what you work with. You work with yourself.

All experiences result from self-grasping. Sometimes that’s okay. If you cut yourself with a knife, you feel pain because of self-attachment. But that feeling also tells you to take care of your injury.

But if your self-grasping is based on pride or anger or jealousy or some other negative thoughts, then it will result in your own suffering. That’s why, if someone insults you it upsets you.
EMPTIFUL.
master of puppets

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:40 pm But if your self-grasping is based on pride or anger or jealousy or some other negative thoughts, then it will result in your own suffering. That’s why, if someone insults you it upsets you.
thank you. I thought so..
Archie2009

Post by Archie2009 »

what are your thoughts?

thnks,
We are all responsible for our own emotions. Nobody else can control them for us. If your intentions are not negative, then what are you fretting about? You cannot really know how you come across, and if people are snowflakes or trying to manipulate you through a display of emotion, why should you turn yourself into a doormat?
master of puppets

Archie2009 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:30 pm

what are your thoughts?

thnks,
We are all responsible for our own emotions. Nobody else can control them for us. If your intentions are not negative, then what are you fretting about? You cannot really know how you come across, and if people are snowflakes or trying to manipulate you through a display of emotion, why should you turn yourself into a doormat?

what is your advice?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

master of puppets wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:12 pm
Archie2009 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:30 pm We are all responsible for our own emotions.
what is your advice?
Isn’t the answer:
Take responsibility your own emotions
??
EMPTIFUL.
muni

Post by muni »

If the label Bodhisattva is used, then it is to ease the suffering of all beings.

This cannot be separate of practice: emptiness is wisdom-compassion is the method.

We may not be blind for the suffering!

Protect those' who need protection for negativity, those who cannot have controle over their own feelings- thought and so are victim by them.

Because we suffer by our own reaction on people who are themselves victim of their own negativity-suffering. Break this circle would be easy to say, but again we suffer by own reactions.

A content being will never feel the need to harm. :meditate: :namaste:
There is no wisdom in thoughts. What are your thoughts about?

“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
reiun

Post by reiun »

what are your thoughts?

thnks,
Maybe don't take the negative energy and pass it on here? Look at the music you recently posted, with the lyric: "I did it all for the nookie". Nookie in English is "pussy", Turkish "Vajina". Granted, the writer may have been being ironic, or just seeking shock value. Personally, I don't mind, (good beat . . . ), but it is philosophically antihetical to what you say should be positive Buddhist lifestyle.
master of puppets

reiun wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:05 am

what are your thoughts?

thnks,
Maybe don't take the negative energy and pass it on here? Look at the music you recently posted, with the lyric: "I did it all for the nookie". Nookie in English is "pussy", Turkish "Vajina". Granted, the writer may have been being ironic, or just seeking shock value. Personally, I don't mind, (good beat . . . ), but it is philosophically antihetical to what you say should be positive Buddhist lifestyle.
Sorry, I didn't know nookie means pussy.
new style American language 🙏🏻
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

master of puppets wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:25 am

what are your thoughts?

thnks,
I once worked in a shop that had a basket of the sorts of pin-backed buttons with various messages on them that used to be much more popular then than they are today. One of them said “NO NUKES!”

A customer was looking at one and her friend said, “don’t buy that! Don’t you know what it means???” … she thought “nukes” was “nookies”.

:rolling:
EMPTIFUL.
reiun

Post by reiun »

what are your thoughts?

thnks,
According to Oxford English Dictionary, origin of English "nookie" (offensive) is 1928, so not new style American language.

You evidently post songs here without even trying to understand the meaning of their lyrics (or titles, e.g. "Nookie"). Three hours daily of Gothic or Trance in alternation that you admit listening to . . . without understanding the meaning, and then passing on here?
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

reiun wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:01 am...You evidently post songs here without even trying to understand the meaning of their lyrics (or titles, e.g. "Nookie"). Three hours daily of Gothic or Trance in alternation that you admit listening to . . . without understanding the meaning, and then passing on here?
Some of us, myself included, often listen to vocal music as music - just sounds - without caring about the words or trying to understand their meaning - even if the music is in our own language. There's no harm at all in doing that.
Sharing it without having at least a rough idea of the meaning is probably not a great idea, though.

:coffee:
Kim
master of puppets

reiun wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:01 am
According to Oxford English Dictionary, origin of English "nookie" (offensive) is 1928, so not new style American language.

You evidently post songs here without even trying to understand the meaning of their lyrics (or titles, e.g. "Nookie"). Three hours daily of Gothic or Trance in alternation that you admit listening to . . . without understanding the meaning, and then passing on here?
Music has same feeling with zen. if you put it in words what ı choose would be disappointment.
Last edited by master of puppets on Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lounge”