New But Not

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
MJB

New But Not

Post by MJB »

Hello everyone,
I've been a member of your sibling Dhammawheel for over a decade. My first meeting with Mahayana (Tibetan) Buddhism was with the NKT in the 1990's. My son and I met Gesh-la personally. It was bewildering to discover the controversies which are so much more evident these days and it turned me off to Tibetan Buddhism for decades. [read the rules and believe the mention is allowed but forgive if it isn't] Having a connection to Avalokiteshvara since I was a child, not too long ago I watched an Avalokiteshvara empowerment ceremony by HHDL (whom I adore and follow from afar) on youtube and the impact was quite powerful. Mentioning this on a social media platform, a very kind person looked up empowerment ceremonies at random for me and sent me a link to one by Kalu Yangse Rinpoche. Not their guru and I'd never heard of him. Just a random right place/ right time sort of thing and a strong connection immediately. So ... here for this.

Looking for a good general introduction to Vajrayana online. Not to Buddhism in general. The Niguma book by Sarah Harding and the Shangpa Kagyu volume II are on their way but omg Volume I is barely readable. I keep trying though and am making progress, however slow but not sure of even what to ask about it all. It would be helpful to find a Vajrayana dictionary too (with pictures!). Thanks for reading. :hi:
Tilopa

Re: New But Not

Post by Tilopa »

This is a fantastic online resource for Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism.

https://studybuddhism.com/
MJB

Post by MJB »

Tilopa wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:06 pm This is a fantastic online resource for Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism.

Thank you :heart:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to DWM!

MJB

Post by MJB »

DNS wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:48 am Welcome to DWM!

Thank you for the welcome ❤️
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Welcome to DW. :namaste:

MJB wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:22 am
Tilopa wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:06 pm This is a fantastic online resource for Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism.

I was just about to recommend that website as well, if you are asking for explanations for beginners and intend to understand purposes, origins and connections.
Studybuddhism / Berzinarchives is standing in Gelug tradition, like the Dalai Lama, but just as him they are trying to keep non-sectarian.

There are many more gorgeous sources online, if you are searching for certain details that Studibuddhism.com doesn't offer.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

The Meridian Trust has an excellent archive of teachings from teachers of different lineages. There are many hours of teaching videos.

https://meridian-trust.org/

Like any specialized pursuit, there is a certain amount of jargon you need to understand for everything to open up.

Thinley Norbu’s A Small Golden Key is very helpful in this regard.

Words of my Perfect Teacher, a commentary on the Longchen Nyingthig ngondro is extremely profound and comprehensive. You may find it fills in some of the missing pieces.

The overwhelm is normal. We’ve all been through it at some point (or more likely several points!) View it as a challenge and an opportunity and enjoy!
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
MJB

Post by MJB »

Ayu wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:41 pm Welcome to DW. :namaste:

MJB wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:22 am

I was just about to recommend that website as well, if you are asking for explanations for beginners and intend to understand purposes, origins and connections.
Studybuddhism / Berzinarchives is standing in Gelug tradition, like the Dalai Lama, but just as him they are trying to keep non-sectarian.

There are many more gorgeous sources online, if you are searching for certain details that Studibuddhism.com doesn't offer.
Thank you for the welcome. I've been googling and reading and googling 🙂 and feeling a little more comfortable- finding commonality between the different terms used in Theravada and Mahayana. Putting Volume I of the Shangpa Kagyu text, back on the shelf for a little while. YouTube has been a friend as well.
MJB

Post by MJB »

Karma Dorje wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:00 pm The Meridian Trust has an excellent archive of teachings from teachers of different lineages. There are many hours of teaching videos.

https://meridian-trust.org/

Like any specialized pursuit, there is a certain amount of jargon you need to understand for everything to open up.

Thinley Norbu’s A Small Golden Key is very helpful in this regard.

Words of my Perfect Teacher, a commentary on the Longchen Nyingthig ngondro is extremely profound and comprehensive. You may find it fills in some of the missing pieces.

The overwhelm is normal. We’ve all been through it at some point (or more likely several points!) View it as a challenge and an opportunity and enjoy!
Excellent advice. I keep seeing this recommendation "Words of my Perfect Teacher" therefore going to find it now. Thank you ❤️
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

MJB wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:54 pm Looking for a good general introduction to Vajrayana online.
One of the better overall introductions to Vajrayana generally is "The Great Kagyu Masters: The Golden Lineage Treasury".

*ALL* Vajrayana introductions are lineage specific (the above suggestion for example is Drikung Kagyu) but most of them can be extremely dense at different sections of the text and require either some study or some meditative experience or both. In general, the above text is not dense and does not have these requirements and serves as a general and gentle introduction to Vajrayana although it is Kagyu, and more specifically Drikung Kagyu.
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
MJB

Post by MJB »

kirtu wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:02 am
MJB wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:54 pm Looking for a good general introduction to Vajrayana online.
One of the better overall introductions to Vajrayana generally is "The Great Kagyu Masters: The Golden Lineage Treasury".

*ALL* Vajrayana introductions are lineage specific (the above suggestion for example is Drikung Kagyu) but most of them can be extremely dense at different sections of the text and require either some study or some meditative experience or both. In general, the above text is not dense and does not have these requirements and serves as a general and gentle introduction to Vajrayana although it is Kagyu, and more specifically Drikung Kagyu.
Thank you ❤️. Grateful for the guidance. As the days pass, there is more ease. Online resources have given visualizations quite a boost :smile: and trudging along with vocabulary. I will look up this recommendation.

Return to “Introductions”