Distinction between Name and Nembutsu

Wannabuddha

Distinction between Name and Nembutsu

Post by Wannabuddha »

I've been puzzled by this for a while. I know that the nembutsu, in Jodo Shinshu, is simply to say the Name as an expression of gratitude for Amida's benevolence, and this means that the nembutsu is necessarily a post-shinjin thing. Saying the Name before shinjin is not other-power nembutsu.

However, I have heard teachers saying stuff like, "Amida works on us through the Name and brings us to entrust". So the Name is working on us before shinjin is realized, and that means that the Name and the Nembutsu are distinct. I think I haven't appreciated this distinction, and hence I have been confused. Then I came upon this passage in Immeasurable Life by John Paraskevopoulos :
In Shin Buddhism, the Dharma-Body reveals itself to us not only in the forms of Amida Buddha and the Pure Land that we find in the sutras but also—more dynamically—as the Name (pronounced in Japanese as Namo Amida Butsu). [...] Indeed, Amida vowed that this Name would be the means through which we could come to know the Buddha and attain release from our spiritual fetters. [...] When we encounter the Name and slowly begin to unravel its significance (through study, self-reflection, meeting a good teacher and listening to the teachings), the truth of Amida’s Primal Vow becomes real to us for the first time. This is called ‘hearing the Name’ which is, itself, the experience of shinjin where we awaken to true reality. [...] The invocation of Amida’s Name as the direct expression of our shinjin is known as the nembutsu. [...] The nembutsu, therefore, is the embodiment—the evident and discernible sign—of our shinjin. It is not a mantra to be used as a means for procuring spiritual benefits.
So if I understand it correctly, the Name is the essence of the teaching, or the saving dharma itself, in which Amida and his Vow-power are embodied and conveyed to us. We read and listen and reflect and ask questions from teachers in order to realize the meaning of the Name. When we "hear the Name" (i.e. hear the origin and fulfillment of the Vow), this is the dawning of shinjin. And after we have entrusted in the Vow, our saying of the Name in gratitude for Amida's benevolence is Nembutsu.

So the sequence is Encountering the Name > Listening > Hearing the Name > Entrusting in the Vow > saying the Nembutsu in gratitude. Is that right?

When teachers say that Amida works on us "through the Name", does that simply mean that, having encountered the Name, we are thereby brought to investigate its meaning and encounter the significance of the Vow? Or is the effect more mystical? I don't want to fall into the error of regarding the Name as a magic spell or incantation, but I also don't want to underrate the significance of the Name and simply see it as a beacon or pointer.

In particular, I'm unsure about the act of reciting the Name while aspiring to shinjin. On the one hand, it seems like a premature imitation of a person of shinjin. And because I desire the coming of shinjin, it seems like my recitation is always pervaded by a spirit of entreaty, like the nembutsu taught by Jodo-shu. On the other hand, Shinran writes:
With a resolve to be equal to people of shinjin,
Practitioners of self-power, while entertaining doubt,
Should realize the Tathagata's benevolence
And strive hard in reciting the Nembutsu.
(Hymns on the Three Dharma Ages, 66)
Zhen Li

Re: Distinction between Name and Nembutsu

Post by Zhen Li »

Wannabuddha wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:13 pm and this means that the nembutsu is necessarily a post-shinjin thing. Saying the Name before shinjin is not other-power nembutsu.
The Name said relying on self-power is not itself the cause of birth, but in saying the Name in self-power, other-power can work through us by means of natural working (jinen), as you suggest is taught.
Wannabuddha wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:13 pm So the Name is working on us before shinjin is realized, and that means that the Name and the Nembutsu are distinct.
It is not so much that reciting the Nembutsu without Shinjin is not "the Nembutsu," the Nembutsu is the Name, but we may not have entrusted ourselves fully to it. The issue is not with the Nembutsu, but with our own lack of entrustment.
Wannabuddha wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:13 pm And after we have entrusted in the Vow, our saying of the Name in gratitude for Amida's benevolence is Nembutsu.

So the sequence is Encountering the Name > Listening > Hearing the Name > Entrusting in the Vow > saying the Nembutsu in gratitude. Is that right?
I think this "sequence" is not really so clearly discernable for most people. Encountering, listening, and hearing are usually indiscernable. At first, reciting the Nembutsu in self-power and in gratitude may also not be discernible, but with reflection one may come to realise that one has received Shinjin.
Wannabuddha wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:13 pm When teachers say that Amida works on us "through the Name", does that simply mean that, having encountered the Name, we are thereby brought to investigate its meaning and encounter the significance of the Vow? Or is the effect more mystical? I don't want to fall into the error of regarding the Name as a magic spell or incantation, but I also don't want to underrate the significance of the Name and simply see it as a beacon or pointer.
Rennyo suggested, you cannot attain faith by passive listening. You must reflect on the meaning of the teachings and ask questions of the teacher to come to an understanding. The Nembutsu, in any case, is always a reminder to think back to Amida, but it is not "simply" a beacon or symbol, but is the manifestation of the Buddha himself in this world. So, it doesn't have a neutral "power" and cannot be substituted with any other random utterance—it has to be something that brings our mind back to Amida specifically, and deepen our connection to him and our reflection on our relationship to him. It carries the dedication of merit that he accumulated over ten kalpas as Dharmakara Bodhisattva, but it cannot work on us if we are unwilling to go to his Land—that is why our own entrusting is essential.
Wannabuddha wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:13 pm In particular, I'm unsure about the act of reciting the Name while aspiring to shinjin. On the one hand, it seems like a premature imitation of a person of shinjin. And because I desire the coming of shinjin, it seems like my recitation is always pervaded by a spirit of entreaty, like the nembutsu taught by Jodo-shu.
I'd say don't worry so much about this. Your Nembutsu will be effective no matter what, because the Vow power is so much stronger than any karma you have accumulated. Continue to recite the Nembutsu and study the teachings of the Pure Land patriarchs and the matter of faith will settle itself by natural working.
Wannabuddha

Re: Distinction between Name and Nembutsu

Post by Wannabuddha »

Thanks for the reply, Zhen Li. I always appreciate your thoughtful answers.

Return to “Jodo Shin Shu”