How you make the other happy

If you're new to the forum or new to Buddhism, this is the best place for your questions. Responses require moderator approval before they are visible.
master of puppets

Re: How you make the other happy

Post by master of puppets »

my next question is do you choose to be a bodhisattva or transform to that automatically?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

master of puppets wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:04 pm my next question is do you choose to be a bodhisattva or transform to that automatically?
In some Vajrayana traditions one can opt to take a Bodhisattva vow. I don’t know about other traditions.

As far as becoming a Bodhisattva in some celestial sense of the term, such as Kuan Yin, the answer probably depends on which mythology one reads.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

master of puppets wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 8:19 pm How you make the other happy?

- by giving what he needs or want
- by clearing his mind and all altogether
- by a clear future vision with love

🙏🏻
Loving kindness is a wonderful thing!

Loving and beautiful thoughts are the cure for our hatred and insecure sense of me. Thinking of others instead of ourselves is actually beautiful.

I think we like to pick each other apart on this forum… Sometimes the logic isn’t all there, but the heart more than makes up for it.
master of puppets

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:31 pm
master of puppets wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:04 pm my next question is do you choose to be a bodhisattva or transform to that automatically?
In some Vajrayana traditions one can opt to take a Bodhisattva vow. I don’t know about other traditions.

As far as becoming a Bodhisattva in some celestial sense of the term, such as Kuan Yin, the answer probably depends on which mythology one reads.

Why, the bodhisattvas are different?
Last edited by master of puppets on Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
master of puppets

master of puppets wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:12 pm

and is there a merit in acting like/in a simple bodhisattva
action or behave?
master of puppets

SilenceMonkey wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:42 pm

🙏🏻
Thinking of others instead of ourselves is actually beautiful.
How can you do this under a no mind state? do you have a choice?

and the no mind state is an enlightened state?

ı sometimes, begin to show no mind acts, or choose to be. and happy to be on the subject ..moreoverly, planing to do this 'the spine' of my practice. 🙏🏻
Last edited by master of puppets on Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I’m trying to address the rather vague phrase, “transform to that automatically”.

As soon as you commit to attaining realization for the benefit of all beings, technically you are on the Bodhisattva path. You can call yourself a Bodhisattva. Maybe a Bodhisattva in training.
There’s no ‘transformation’ beyond that.

But the term “Bodhisattva” can also apply to beings such as Kuan Yin, Manjushri, and so on who are said to be highly realized ‘celestial’ (for lack of a better word) beings but were once ordinary beings like you and me (maybe they can be called Sambhogakaya beings, but that probably requires some context). They can emanate or appear to beings in different forms if it helps others.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
master of puppets

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:01 pm

I’m trying to address the rather vague phrase, “transform to that automatically”.

As soon as you commit to attaining realization for the benefit of all beings, technically you are on the Bodhisattva path. You can call yourself a Bodhisattva. Maybe a Bodhisattva in training.
There’s no ‘transformation’ beyond that.

But the term “Bodhisattva” can also apply to beings such as Kuan Yin, Manjushri, and so on who are said to be highly realized ‘celestial’ (for lack of a better word) beings but were once ordinary beings like you and me (maybe they can be called Sambhogakaya beings, but that probably requires some context). They can emanate or appear to beings in different forms if it helps others.
ok just having been in the dilemma of no mind/bodhicitta

ı think like in a car, all the components should work properly
Last edited by master of puppets on Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

master of puppets wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:56 pm

🙏🏻

ı sometimes, begin to show no mind acts, or choose to be. and happy to be on the subject ..moreoverly, planing to do this 'the spine' of my practice. 🙏🏻
Why do zen masters do what they do?

I would imagine that no mind is not having any thoughts or afflictions obscuring the mind… a mirror reflecting perfectly the situation at hand. Bodhisattvas in a state of no mind act in response to sentient beings… I think it happens spontaneously, without thinking about it. And because they have boundless compassion in the Buddha nature, they help sentient beings very naturally and effortlessly. Their very nature is to help sentient beings.

I think it may be like that. But maybe they also make decisions when thinking is required.

I think enlightened beings are in no mind all the time. But who knows…
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Master Sheng Yen on Niutou’s Song of Mind
What Is in the Enlightened Mind?

Someone during a lecture asked if enlightened people got angry.

“Yes,” I replied.

“That’s strange. They shouldn’t have any vexation.”

I said, “Ordinary people get angry from within, but enlightened people get angry because other people cause them to do so.”

The person asked, “How can others make them angry? Their minds should be unmoving, not be affected by others.”

“Enlightened people simply reflect things,” I answered. “If others are present, then enlightened people will reflect their presence, but there is nothing in them.”

When ordinary people get angry, they don’t forget. But enlightened people forget their anger the moment that the cause disappears. There is nothing left in them. After a thunderstorm, the sun comes out and everything is beautiful again. The thunder and rain are gone. All that is left is the beautiful day. If, after the weather cleared, it continued to rain and thunder, that would be strange.
https://www.lionsroar.com/sought-for-it ... -seen/amp/
master of puppets

SilenceMonkey wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:26 pm
master of puppets wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:56 pm

Why do zen masters do what they do?

I would imagine that no mind is not having any thoughts or afflictions obscuring the mind… a mirror reflecting perfectly the situation at hand. Bodhisattvas in a state of no mind act in response to sentient beings… I think it happens spontaneously, without thinking about it. And because they have boundless compassion in the Buddha nature, they help sentient beings very naturally and effortlessly. Their very nature is to help sentient beings.

I think it may be like that. But maybe they also make decisions when thinking is required.

I think enlightened beings are in no mind all the time. But who knows…
thinking same. thank you.

Return to “Discovering Mahayana Buddhism”