Breathing instructions during Song of Vajra according to ChNN

Ati108

Breathing instructions during Song of Vajra according to ChNN

Post by Ati108 »

Are there any indications as to when exactly we should inhale and exhale during this practice? I have not found answers in DC materials. Thank you for any information on this.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Re: Breathing instructions during Song of Vajra according to ChNN

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Ati108 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:02 am Are there any indications as to when exactly we should inhale and exhale during this practice? I have not found answers in DC materials. Thank you for any information on this.
Somewhere or other there is a version that shows the meter, but afaik you just breath as normal and relax with the Melody, no special breathing required.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Ati108

Post by Ati108 »

That's what I thought. Grazie Johnny!
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Ati108 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:02 am Are there any indications as to when exactly we should inhale and exhale during this practice?

Yes. And actually ChNNR said something about it that implied that he thought it was pretty important. I’m also thinking that he had written about it in his Song of the Vajra book (a book worth having if you’re a student of his; practically indispensable). I think that you should be able to order the book if you’ve received the Song of the Vajra only from Yeshi Namkhai as well.

have not found answers in DC materials. Thank you for any information on this.

I could try to explain, if you want to send me a P.M.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Fri May 26, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ati108 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:02 am Are there any indications as to when exactly we should inhale and exhale during this practice? I have not found answers in DC materials. Thank you for any information on this.
The oral instruction is to breath where Rinpoche breaks the line. Coordinating your breath when singing SOV is very important in this practice.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I stand corrected, sorry for the bad info.

-Khunu Lama
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

in the audio one can hear ChNNs breath/pause, there is the tempo also. that might do.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Well, no need for you to P.M. me on this Ati108, as I’d invited you to in my previous post; because what Malcolm wrote sums it up.
Last edited by Sādhaka on Fri May 26, 2023 3:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

There is the Umdze training that Adriano Clemente prepared, there is also what you ar looking for, and tempo, melody, etc.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I wonder if the Tun DvD is helpful here? Simply because one can go through SoV with Rinpoche, note the cadence, etc.

Also low barrier because if you have transmission, easy to obtain.

-Khunu Lama
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:54 pm I wonder if the Tun DvD is helpful here? Simply because one can go through SoV with Rinpoche, note the cadence, etc.

Also low barrier because if you have transmission, easy to obtain.
It is, in deed.

lelopa

Post by lelopa »

The breathing instructions are f.e. in the book "The Dzogchen Ritual Practices" [Kailash Editions] at page 91.
Lost In Transmission
Ati108

Post by Ati108 »

Malcolm wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:42 pm
The oral instruction is to breath where Rinpoche breaks the line. Coordinating your breath when singing SOV is very important in this practice.
What do you mean by breaks the line? Do you mean to follow the rhythm by listening to Rinpoche as other have suggested, or are you referring to line breaks according to how the written SOV text appears?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ati108 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:55 am
What do you mean by breaks the line? Do you mean to follow the rhythm by listening to Rinpoche as other have suggested, or are you referring to line breaks according to how the written SOV text appears?
The latter. When singing mantras, in the DC we always breathe where the mantra is broken. Same with SOV.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

lelopa wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:26 am The breathing instructions are f.e. in the book "The Dzogchen Ritual Practices" [Kailash Editions] at page 91.
Thanks

Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

In the resource page if the webcast there are different documents on where to breath during the melody. One is according to the vajra dance an the other more normal.timing
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

Btw:
When and why changed "mashta valivali" to "masuta valivali" in the 2nd line of SoV?
Lost In Transmission
Ati108

Post by Ati108 »

Malcolm wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:03 pm

The latter. When singing mantras, in the DC we always breathe where the mantra is broken. Same with SOV.
Thank you Malcolm! But in the new moon version of the Guru Rinpoche mantra ChNN specifies 1 breathe to be taken after the two lines disregarding the line break in the written text. By contrast, for the full moon mantra there are 2 breaths (which I think accords with what you are saying). Hence my confusion about using the written text as a guide for when to breathe.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

:mrgreen:
Ati108 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 4:34 am
Malcolm wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:03 pm

Thank you Malcolm! But in the new moon version of the Guru Rinpoche mantra ChNN specifies 1 breathe to be taken after the two lines disregarding the line break in the written text. By contrast, for the full moon mantra there are 2 breaths (which I think accords with what you are saying). Hence my confusion about using the written text as a guide for when to breathe.
No, the thodtremgtsal mantra is also broken at thodtrengtsal, breath, vajra samaya…to end, breathe, om ah…. Etc.

Likewise the waxing moon mantra is broken at padma.

Same the ngagong, etc.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

lelopa wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 7:10 am

Just a minor transliteration variation, I think.

No need to get too caught up on it.

Return to “Dzogchen”