Help identifying abusive guru ?

A forum for discussion of Buddhist ethics.
Alexkidd

Help identifying abusive guru ?

Post by Alexkidd »

Hi guys, first post sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Currently having a near death experience with a guru I am unable to identify who is overly abusive , overly aggressive, doesn't permit meditation , sleep or eating on a regular basis among other things. Been on going for quite some time now.

I am looking to identify the guru if possible or figure out how to approach the subject .

Apologies if the subject matter for a first post is a little sour !

Hope everyone is getting on fine with their current experience and expectations.
Sādhaka

Re: Help identifying abusive guru ?

Post by Sādhaka »

Hi Alexkidd (I remember that game on Sega in the 80s),

Alexkidd wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:03 amCurrently having a near death experience with a guru I am unable to identify…

Could you explain that^ part a little more?
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Alexkidd wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:03 am I am looking to identify the guru if possible or figure out how to approach the subject .
A bit confused by the topic. By "identify" do you mean to publically announce his name?
Alexkidd wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:03 am Currently having a near death experience with a guru I am unable to identify who is overly abusive , overly aggressive, doesn't permit meditation , sleep or eating on a regular basis among other things. Been on going for quite some time now.
Does he break the law in what he does? Then report him.

In any case, you still definitely need to just leave that situation. He's not a guru if he is doing that, we have clear descriptions of what a teacher is in the sutras.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Your post isn’t clear.
You list all of these negative traits, “going on for a long time” but can’t identify him. You don’t know his name? This doesn’t make any sense.

Is this someone you have had contact with? Someone who appeared in a dream? What does having a near death experience have to do with it? And how can you “currently be having” a near death experience?

If it’s done vision of a guru that you had during a near-death experience, it’s just an hallucination.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Alexkidd

Post by Alexkidd »

Apologies for the lack of clarity. And thank you so much for replying.

I don't mean publicly identify him I mean help figuring out how to identify him so I know how to approach the situation. I wouldn't put the experience down to a dream or hallucination as he has spoken out loud on occasion.

I believe the abuse to be well above and beyond what would be called ' tactical anger ' or something he's doing to bring my attention to higher possibilities etc so it most likely would illegal at this point .

I am unaware of who to report him too as I am unable to identify who he his as he won't reveal him name.

I contacted ananda.org for help and the response I was given at the time was unfortunately when having a near death experience it's down to the guru and god to introduce us to know methods and stages.

I have explicitly stated I wish to end to ongoing process but it's met with silence or a continuation of neglect or abuse.

Thanks again for your replies guys.
Last edited by Alexkidd on Mon May 15, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Alexkidd wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:22 pm I don't mean publicly identify him I mean help figuring out how to identify him so I know how to approach the situation.
1. I think the confusion in your post is over the word “identify”. Still not sure what you are talking about. You’ve already identified him as abusive. That should be enough.

2. Just walk away from the situation just as you would a dangerous stranger in a dark alley.
You don’t need that person and you don’t owe that person anything.
EMPTIFUL.
Alexkidd

Post by Alexkidd »

Apologies for the layout of my replies I'm still getting used to the forum format. For example replying to specific parts of a post.

But with regards to a near death experience I can explain what I believe it to be.

The individual is brought close to death on more than one occasion in order for the individual to repent be free of past karma.

However the process has not stopped in spite of my best efforts. The guru himself has only spoken out loud on a few occasions once telling me to get dressed and on another occasion he openly said " make me stop ". Which is incredible abusive to experience death repeatedly.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

This abuse is from an actual live person, in person? Or a voice that you actually hear or just some presence that you feel, etc. that you feel is abusing you? If it is the latter, that sounds exactly like my brother who has schizophrenia.

:anjali:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
puggily

Post by puggily »

Please see a medical provider. Its sounds like this is a health issue.
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Alexkidd wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:22 pm I wouldn't put the experience down to a dream or hallucination as he has spoken out loud on occasion.
Just because you hear something out loud doesn't mean it's not a hallucination.

How did you meet this person? What location/temple? Do you go to his location or does he come to your house? How does he interact with other people in front of you? What does he wear and how tall is he? What colour are his eyes?

If the answers to these questions is not cut and dry, as it would be for an actual human, the person is a hallucination. There is no "maybe" or "wouldn't put it that way." It's cut-and-dry.
Alexkidd wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:22 pm I am unaware of who to report him too as I am unable to identify who he his as he won't reveal him name.
Sounds like a hallucination.
Alexkidd wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:22 pm I contacted ananda.org for help and the response I was given at the time was unfortunately when having a near death experience it's down to the guru and god to introduce us to know methods and stages.
I would suggest you not contact Ananda Church about this kind of thing, they are a well-known predatory cult and have had several abuse cases.

Since you are asking on Dharma Wheel, if you are actually facing a near-death experience, from the Mahayana perspective, the best thing is to recall Amitabha Buddha and recite his name. You don't need to join any church or pay anyone any money. You don't owe anyone anything for your spiritual destiny.

As for this "guru," if you are hearing his voice, it is worth consulting a therapist. There are definitely spiritual ways of dealing with mental health, including meditation techniques, so it may not be as easy as dropping into the first therapist in the Yellow Pages. But there are trained and certified professionals who have a lot of experience working with these kinds of situations, and we are not likely to be able to offer a full solution on an internet forum.
Alexkidd wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:22 pm I have explicitly stated I wish to end to ongoing process but it's met with silence or a continuation of neglect or abuse.
It will be hard for someone to give you advice without detailed knowledge of your history. It's best for someone trained in these matters to provide individualised treatment for this situation.

Overall, one can suggest mindfulness to develop an objective perspective on the abuse. On the other hand, when going about your day to day life, finding something to distract you from the abuse might help—for instance, listening to music, podcasts, or audiobooks, keep it positive themed (try to find Buddhist podcasts, audiobooks, or music, for instance). Above all, avoid stress and avoid drugs and alcohol.

Also, remember, from the Mahayana perspective, everything is an illusion, including this abuse. Don't take them seriously. Everything is a projection of the mind, so when we say it is a "hallucination", we don't mean other things are more real, just that the abuse you hear is following a different kind of logic from the rest of the world. So, don't worry about it and try to pay it no heed—ignore it as best you can, and try to deal with it using wholesome techniques along with a professional therapist.
Alexkidd

Post by Alexkidd »

Thank you so much for your support I will take everything mentioned into consideration 🙏

Best wishes
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Alexkidd wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:46 pm Thank you so much for your support I will take everything mentioned into consideration 🙏

Best wishes
Buddhist teachers don’t bring students to
“near death experiences” .
Please see a professional therapist soon.
EMPTIFUL.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Seemingly this topic has reached a good point and there's no use in discussing it any further.

Alexkidd, you have received excellent advice so far. No buddhist guru would torture their deciples with near death experiences. And everybody is free to leave a "guru" whenever they want.

I wish you well and may you find peace and compassion.

Return to “Ethical Conduct”